Agencies for new drivers?

Hello Everyone,

I am a new HGV driver class C passed in December 2013 and have my class C+E test at the end of the month. Have also completed my Drivers CPC and ADR core, packages, tanks and 7 classes.

Based in the Wiltshire area near Trowbridge was hoping that someone here could advise as to suitable agencies that can be recommended for new drivers.

I am quite happy to be flexible and do temporary work, any shifts with the eventual aim to be driving artics utilising my ADR preferably. Willing to continue training to add classes 1 & 7 to my ADR and Forklift RTITB and Moffett.

I have done all my practical training in Bristol with Mark Callaghan (Learn To Drive Me Ltd) and he has been a tremendous help so far. A very capable instructor who makes you think for yourself about what you are doing that has helped improve my driving significantly for both car and of course the real purpose of bringing me up to standard to drive an HGV professionally.

Any thoughts/advice on agencies will be most welcome and I’m sure may benefit others.

TIA
Maneman

I guess it varies from area to area but, when I was in the North East, Best Connection would take on newly qualified drivers. Here in Essex it seems most of them will.

Having a CE will also help when you are looking for permanent work as employers who run rigids and artics are more likely to offer a C driving job to someone who may be useful if they are stuck for a CE driver at some time.

Don’t waste your money on 1 and 7.

I would have a look at ADR Network. They are a national company with offices and contracts all over. They recruit drivers for Tesco, DHL,Co-op, Wincanton, Iceland,Morrisons etc

I had a meeting with them about work for Tesco in Magor and asked them would my age be a problem what with me being younger than 25 and no experience and they said no. All I had to do was pass the theory and driving assessment at Tesco. The money was about £9 to £11 per hour and there were plenty of shifts available.

Have a look on google for them.

Regards
Dave

Dave,

Thank you, I am now in the process of registering having been on their website. They have some impressive clients with many vacancies as you stated.

Have my C+E test in a couple of weeks and when I pass I intend to approach companies direct but meanwhile I’ll get registered with agencies as I believe that if you put the effort in you end up getting a break eventually.

Truck Sat Nav and DVR arrive tomorrow in readiness so that I’m fully prepared as one can be for that first job.

Well done and I hope all goes well for Tesco for you.

Well bad news today.
ADR Network informed me that unless you have held your licence for 6 months and have 180 shifts of driving completed on class C and/or C+E then there is no chance of registering with them due to driver negligence insurance conditions. This is imposed on most companies by the insurance providers and apparently not instigated by either the logistics company or the end using company e.g. Tesco, DHL etc.

On a more positive note, ADR Network did state that once I have completed 6 months driving they would then be prepared to register me on their books. They also stated that they are one if not the biggest HGV Driver Agency in the UK with mainly blue chip clients.

My cynical side says that this could be them fobbing me off but then other threads on here suggest that this may be me being a little over sensitive. After all on passing theory and practical tests does NOT make one an experienced HGV driver. The real learning to drive a truck begins after you have passed all the tests and you are driving a truck on your own day after day. Therefore the catch 22 created by the insurance companies is to some extent justified perhaps?

I went into my local Driver Hire this morning and they also require 6 months experience for class 1 / 2 work as this is what their client base request so your probably not being fobbed off.

Read on here Manpower and Best Connection take on new drivers.

Everywhere is dead at the moment though. Worst time of year to be looking for work and when something does come up we are competing against drivers with experience. Hopefully should pick up into February.

maneman:
Well bad news today.
ADR Network informed me that unless you have held your licence for 6 months and have 180 shifts of driving completed on class C and/or C+E then there is no chance of registering with them due to driver negligence insurance conditions.

Don’t agencies talk some crap? 180 shifts in 183 days?

OnlyAlan:

maneman:
Well bad news today.
ADR Network informed me that unless you have held your licence for 6 months and have 180 shifts of driving completed on class C and/or C+E then there is no chance of registering with them due to driver negligence insurance conditions.

Don’t agencies talk some crap? 180 shifts in 183 days?

+1. I guess it depends who you speak to and how desperate they are. They are currently advertising a job in Livingston with:

“Newly passed C+E are welcome.”

Thanks for the updates and information to all that have posted.

My pessimistic side is telling me that passing all the tests is the easy bit, getting a decent driving job class C or C+E is the tough part due to regional variations with agency branches.

Well got news for all those contrary agencies; I don’t give up and it makes me even more determined. Especially in view of Driver Hire who’ve just registered me onto their books, no quibble from them like truckster5 experienced and I did from ADR.

When an agency states that they provide driver negligence insurance, does this mean it’s easier for new, inexperienced drivers?

Good news mate :sunglasses: Keep us posted on how you get on.

Maybe i should try ADR :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though it must just depend on who they deal with in a particular area as to what they can offer.