Agencies .... are they all bad?

Couldn’t hack it any longer and handed my notice in this morning. Not a heat of the moment thing, been building up for a year or so.

Big question is … agency work… is it easy to get work and does it pay, or am i going to be homeless in 4 months time?

PS if you see a class II job advertised in the south east next week, AVOID!!!

Yes

Yes easy to get work or Yes all bad?

Or just Yes generally?

Sorry but if you haven’t got another job to walk straight into then it sounds hasty too me…
Anyway thats not much help so if I where you I would sign up with a few agency’s to get some work. If you have enough cash in the bank to get through the next few months I would seriously consider taking your class 1 (CE) license, work will be plentiful in the coming months.

Or maybe a change of career is on the cards but thats your choice. In the end you may look back on this as the best thing you ever did but use the time between jobs wisely, like taking your class 1 :wink:

Only ever joined 1 Agency, and to be honest, I’ve never had a problem! Always had work, they always call up Friday to let you know of the next weeks work.
Even on the odd accession when I’ve turned up and I’m not required, I’ve always had 8 hours pay.
However, they are one of the more expensive agencies (for their clients) but on the plus side they have looked after me!
Not sure if i can name them here, should i?

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry but if you haven’t got another job to walk straight into then it sounds hasty too me…
Anyway thats not much help so if I where you I would sign up with a few agency’s to get some work. If you have enough cash in the bank to get through the next few months I would seriously consider taking your class 1 (CE) license, work will be plentiful in the coming months.

Or maybe a change of career is on the cards but thats your choice. In the end you may look back on this as the best thing you ever did but use the time between jobs wisely, like taking your class 1 :wink:

Yes it was hasty I agree now, but it was hell where I worked. I was close to mental break down there. Now I only have the worry of no money and eventual homelessness which is less stressful than my ex job. Honestly!

I have considered Class 1, but looking on these forums people say it doesn’t seem to be worth it. I do like driving, I just seem to have fallen in with a bad crowd. Or maybe I’m just expecting too much. Class 1 is about £2000 to do? I could afford that, but if I fail it might leave me short in the pocket if I don’t find another job.

EDIT - plus if I did get my class 1 there’s always the “you need two years experience” problem that’s often mentioned here. Or would Class II experience count?

They are what they are. They can only give you good work if they have it and they only get it if they have good drivers. You have to like driving a truck you haven’t driven before to a place you’ve never been. It can be tough.

Darktower:
Only ever joined 1 Agency, and to be honest, I’ve never had a problem! Always had work, they always call up Friday to let you know of the next weeks work.
Even on the odd accession when I’ve turned up and I’m not required, I’ve always had 8 hours pay.
However, they are one of the more expensive agencies (for their clients) but on the plus side they have looked after me!

You can and you should … unless you’re worried it might take work away from you then if that’s the case, no probs, we understand :slight_smile:

Seriously though, sounds like you’ve landed on your feet.

To be fair this decision probably grew roots a while ago but the sense of freedom you get will be worth it.
Don’t believe that class 1 is not worth it though because not only is it easier to drive a class 1 vehicle, well apart from reversing but that comes with time - if you have had your C2 for a while you will ■■■■ it in a week.

Pop by the newbees section of this forum as theres a few training schools on there, think Peter Smythe (hope I have his name right) will look after you or at least give you the low down on going from C2 to C1, or just call up a local accredited school near you.

Best of luck with whatever you deceide but at least make some calls, also russle up a CV for any local firms and pop by on the off chance. Google has loads of CV templates to use for free…

Oh and if played right your experience on class 2 will go towards class 1 experience + agencies will probably be banging down your door down in a month or so’s time if you have your C1.

Ched:

Darktower:

You can and you should … unless you’re worried it might take work away from you then if that’s the case, no probs, we understand :slight_smile:

Although I’m down in Plymouth, (Thats in Devon! :wink: ) Joined an Agency called Backline. Never looked back! Some of the work has been a bit arse but at least its work! Mainly do trunking and tramping at the moment with the odd foray into skip work as a favour!
But credit where credit is due, they’ve been good so far and no complaints from me!

Thanks for replies. Looks like class 1 is the way to go. Dream holiday can wait a few more years :slight_smile: . might name and shame when I am fully out of there. They encouraged going over hours to get the job done … loading on break etc. … such and such can do the job in 6 hours, if you go over hours just say you put tacho in upside down etc …

I’m like Darktower, all my work is through 1 agency and they’ve never let me down yet, different agency to DT but decent rates, paid the following Friday, and get a call Thur/Fri to check my availability for the following week. Oh, and he stands by his drivers as long as they don’t take the ■■■■.

All agencies are bad, but they are varying degrees of bad. The one I subbie to you are one of the less bad ones but they still have their moments when they start getting above their station and need putting back in their place.

I use Proactive in Chester and Driver Hire in Shrewsbury. I’ve developed a good relationship with them and it has worked well. I have stated in writing the pay rate, overtime and hours I like to work. They sometimes come on with a job on different terms and I usually accept it to show I’m keen to assist them. They have never sent me a bottle at Christmas which surprises me.

YES

Darktower:

Ched:

Darktower:

Although I’m down in Plymouth, (Thats in Devon! :wink: ) Joined an Agency called Backline. Never looked back! Some of the work has been a bit arse but at least its work! Mainly do trunking and tramping at the moment with the odd foray into skip work as a favour!
But credit where credit is due, they’ve been good so far and no complaints from me!

Agree, it’s who I work for, regular work, home every night, not one of the feed you a load of bs merchants

Like a lot of the Positive responses, I’ve had a little bit of experience with various agencies, and like a lot of drivers find out there’s a big ladder to climb, as it takes time for you to find your feet, find out where your best suited, and the agency to gain confidence in you and your abilities, and what type of work & start times you want.
This is where the conflicts between the agencies and drivers arise, both you and the agency will try to pull the wool over each others eyes.
The driver will try to string the job out to make money, try to do it “their way” and swop the drop order around, completely ignoring booking times, and of course the agency will try to rip you off, the haulier will want you to be both a psychic and superman. Achieving the impossible, and knowing what to do without anyone telling what to do, or where to go… Keys, notes … Crack on drive.
As they get a lot of dross come knocking on their door looking for work. The term “journeymen” comes to mind. These are the ones who have had 50+ jobs, and know it all (or think they do) & think agencies are a last resort, or the means to get a foot in the door and get on the books only for them to screw up yet another job and leave, siting it was a ■■■■■■ job etc…
As much as I hate to say it, initially to get your foot in the door, try not to use the word “NO” …
“No I’m not doing that”
“No I’m not starting at that time”
“No handball”
Etc, etc…
They soon stop calling when you say NO. There are other ways of saying no, without actually saying it, just put brain in gear before opening your mouth when the phone rings, the “I can’t talk, I’ll call you back in 5mins” generally works.

Finally …
IF you have set outgoings each month, and NEED a regular fixed income, your screwed.
You could earn £900 one week and nothing the next. Going to work for agencies and starting at the bottom of the pecking order basically means, your unlikely to get a regular fixed income each week, until you establish yourself. Which is why agy work suits certain types of people, (singles, semi-retired & ski’ers etc) and those who don’t need a fixed income as they have money to fall back on should work dry up for a few weeks.
There are also those “regulars” who have established themselves, and can enjoy the relaxed lifestyle of taking time off, go on holiday for several weeks, knowing that there will be work when they get back.

I my case, Im taking 50 days off, and the phones ringing 2 weeks before I’m due back, while I’m on the beach. Though they did hang up when they got a dodgy ring tone :smiley:

Google text4jobs get yourself on their system they will text you 5 direct job vacancies in your area then you have to text your code in again for a further 5 no agencies no fees just a service to get a direct job they have a Facebook group called hgv drivers jobs direct

i applied for a a few jobs last night after passing mod 4 yesterday, today i get a call “come and register can start in the morning” so i go register and all ready to go at 9 pound per hour, get home start getting stuff ready get another call from another agency saying same job same start time same company 11 pound per hour. so what do you do?i choose the 11 pound lol although the first agency didnt like it and range me and i would say was borderline abuse over the phone i told them im obviously going to go for the better paid one he said he had “contacts in the said company and garuntees i will not be starting tommorow” well we will see because im booked in and will be there at 5am lol another thinng is i had an email from the said company asking me to come in for an interview on thursday as i applied on thier site last night so ive had 3 potential job offers for the same company on the same day■■? on a good note ive also had another agency ring me a few hours after and offer me 2 more jobs so if i dont like this one to go in on monday to register and start tuesday lol

Golden rule
Before you accept a job from the agency, confirm the details, pay rate, O/T etc.
Then once you’ve accepted it, do it, do not drop it in favour of another.
It’s the fastest way of getting a bad reputation …