Agencies and wanting to remain PAYE

but do they pay your 15 hours the 1st week or do you have to wait untill the 2nd or have they worded it so they can send you to do anywork anywhere or you don’t get paid

At the side of the screen on truck net theres an advert for grafters recruit that states ltd companys welcome.Does that mean paye is not.Does anyone have any info on grafters recuit please.

mac12:
but do they pay your 15 hours the 1st week or do you have to wait untill the 2nd or have they worded it so they can send you to do anywork anywhere or you don’t get paid

The contract covers the site where I work at, nowhere else. they tried to have it as they could send us elsewhere if current client had no work, but we refused.

Guaranteed hours is only good if it’s “guaranteed cushy job hours” rather than any old dross.

That means a well-paid local job at convienient hours in my book, not milkman start times 50 miles away at a momen’t notice 'cos they’re a ;bit quite locally; this week…

Life insurance is no good if you’re only insured against being hit by asteroids.

The “Swedish Derogation”(AWR) ONLY exists to stop you legally being entitled to EQUAL pay after the 12wks qualifying period, it DOES NOT stop you from being entitled LEGALLY to any other EQUAL treatment IE length/duration of shifts AND shifts being cancelled at last minute.
IF it doesn’t happen to the full time drivers it should NOT be happening to you as a temp agency worker :exclamation: :exclamation:

Essentially, AWR is just a waiving of the rights that were awarded, thus totally cancelling out the effect of having the damned thing!

It could be worse though… Hotel workers get their tips deducted from minimum wage, and included in their hourly rate.

Eg. if some dolly bird is getting £2ph in tips, her hourly rate will be £4.20ph. A crusty old git on the other hand, can’t be expected to get £2ph in tips, so the firm would be forced to pay the “full” minimum wage. No surprise the staff are mainly female then eh? :confused:

Winseer:
Essentially, AWR is just a waiving of the rights that were awarded, thus totally cancelling out the effect of having the damned thing!

Please enlighten me :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face:

What “rights” were “awarded” to temp agency workers outside the realms of the AWR and under what employment act :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused:

Think you are getting confused over the total AWR act and the part of it within that contains the “pay between assignments model” otherwise known as the “Swedish Derogation”. :unamused:

I just listened to it.
Nothing there to scare me. They made it quite clear that if you are a temporary worker…working at different places of work, you are entitled to claim all the expences. They said a “temporary place of work” is one which lasts up to 24 months!
If you are self employed (or employed), and work for different agencies at different sites, as I do, then there`s nothing to worry about. The allowances are there for the very purpose of mobile workers who must be at various places.

They were getting at agency workers who work at one site for a long time and claim travelling exs when they arent eligible to.

If anyones in doubt, listen closely to it again.
Most of us on agencies work at various places and are all above board.

Go self employed, claim all you can and relax.

If self employed is so cushy, then how come no one ever talks about SE puddle jumpers at parcel depots, and how many thousands per week they’re making for working the same long hours as we do?

You will find that the agency will be getting a commission from the umbrella company for each time sheet they put through them

Puddlejumper drivers are not umbrella as far as I know. They’re fully self-employed with their own vans, etc. Why on earth would they bother with umbrella when they are already seriously self-employed?

Umbrella was only created as a pitfall for those interested in GOING self employed surely, just like “driver training agencies” that were set up to “get people a C+E licence” and the £38kpa job that goes with it" and end up delivering neither, because they don’t actually have any wagons, yards, access to jobs, or honesty it seems. Remember poor old Michael Green?

You can only claim mileage if you commute to a single “Temporary workplace” no more than 40% of the time.

That means, assuming you want to be working regular hours every week throughout the year, you’re going to be needing to work at at least THREE different places to qualify. Many umbrella firms will rotate you among two places on a 13 week swaparound basis, which means technically they do NOT qualify for mileage. Even ADR network in my area (Umbrella kings!) don’t make that mistake, as you’ll be rotated Harlow, Thurrock & Sittingbourne on a regular basis.

Winseer:
If self employed is so cushy, then how come no one ever talks about SE puddle jumpers at parcel depots, and how many thousands per week they’re making for working the same long hours as we do?

Being self-employed in itself is not an answer to peoples problems. It depends on what you do, who you do it for, how many times you do it per financial year.
It needs a certain discipline and self restraint which not everybody has. I have to pay a tax bill for the year 2011-2012 but not until next year. Its not a problem for me, the moneys there, but Im sure it would come as a big problem to some folk who are not as careful and organised.