Agencies and the self employed driver

OK, I know, another agency topic…

I am self employed as a Ltd co and have done a few months of local agency work (paid through my co.)
Is there anything to stop me promoting myself to Haulage companies that I have worked for through an agency and asking them to contact me directly thus avoiding the whole agency malarkey? Would anyone be in breach of any legal stuff if I were to work for these companies?
:question: :question:

mkb600:
OK, I know, another agency topic…

I am self employed as a Ltd co and have done a few months of local agency work (paid through my co.)
Is there anything to stop me promoting myself to Haulage companies that I have worked for through an agency and asking them to contact me directly thus avoiding the whole agency malarkey? Would anyone be in breach of any legal stuff if I were to work for these companies?

Probably something in your agency contract would stop you.
…however, I assume the contract will be with the Ltd Co, not you personally so IF you happened to set-up another company it wouldn’t be bound by any such conditions, but read your contract carefully first.
Alan

mkb600:

Your contract with the agency will almost certainly prohibit that. It’s only an issue if they find out though…

Paul

Hi mate, you say you have been doing this a few months so it obviously works for the company you are working for but how do you know weather or not you have undercut your self but cutting out the agency…

Did you know how much the agency were charging the company and just come in a bit cheaper or did you guess at a figure that they agreed too ?

Just curious because i am asking questions about how agencies charge companies and not many people have jumped in to help me yet i know there are thousands of companies in the UK that rely on Agency HGV drivers.

Is it a blue chip company that you are billing direct or a small company with a few wagons?

LCDRIVER:
Hi mate, you say you have been doing this a few months so it obviously works for the company you are working for but how do you know weather or not you have undercut your self but cutting out the agency…

Did you know how much the agency were charging the company and just come in a bit cheaper or did you guess at a figure that they agreed too ?

Just curious because i am asking questions about how agencies charge companies and not many people have jumped in to help me yet i know there are thousands of companies in the UK that rely on Agency HGV drivers.

Is it a blue chip company that you are billing direct or a small company with a few wagons?

If you read the OPs question he hasn’t actually approached any companies yet, he’s just asking if there is any issue with doing it, so it’s unlikely he’s even thought about rates etc.

You could always try the direct route, phone an agency telling them you are an owner driver who needs a temp for a couple of weeks & ask how much they charge…

The way I see it you don’t work for the agency your company supplies a service to them, the same as it would for any other haulage company. It might not be such a good idea to approach the companies the agency has put you at before but if you target every company in the area on a new score card so to speak, its a bit less sneaky IMO. Whatever you do don’t tell the agency about it unless they ask a direct question, they might get upset.