Roy, what I was alluding to in my initial post is that there are no young lads! Whilst I have heard many people claim that DCPC will bring with it a driver shortage, I believe that the eventual retirement of an ageing workforce, with very little in the way of incoming youth, is what may, if ever, cause a driver shortage. I think that we are already in a position where judging by jobs advertised, there are more than enough jobs to go around, and this has not seen any increase of rates offered, so if we do ever face a driver shortage I do not expect to suddenly find truck driving to be paying mega money.

Wishfull thinking maybe, but I’m hoping over the 12 months after the CPC kicks in to see a steady rise in rates for drivers, may be just 50p -£1 here and there but we will find ourselves in a position to negotiate for a better rate.
Coure we will be up against it due to the alleged influx of our cousins who are a little untrustworthy round fresh water lakes and rivers, but still a driver fluent in the local lingo should be able to command (or at least try) a decent wage.

I agree with dipper- dave and you cracker-bar up to a point,but I think there is good paid driving jobs out there, obviously if you live in London prices are a lot different to everywhere else, but I know for a fact some of keedwell drivers are getting £700 plus before tax not including night out money, I know back in the 70s we were getting around £300 pw on bonus plus night out money, :wink: :wink: so you may be right about a shortAGE of drivers because I know a lot of older drivers don’t agree with the driver cpc and wont be doing it, I bit my tounge and did it, its a joke anyway, ( no exams to pass ) whats the point :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m 21 now been driving full time since January didn’t have to apply for my job I was offered it, I reckon for younger drivers it’s not what you know it’s who you know certainly the case for me anyway

Im 35 and have been driving since i was 21 and out of around 50 drivers at my firm theres only 4 drivers younger than me and the majoraty are over 45

I used to stick up for my age group but as they’re all leaving uni this summer I’m starting to see what a work shy bunch they are. I think thats the main reason not many young lads/lasses are coming into haulage. A good mate of mine I know from the gym is 6’3 and weighs about 16stone, he jacked a job in because he hurt his back carrying breeze blocks ffs :laughing:

As for me I’ve been the youngest at every firm I’ve worked at and when i do the odd class 1 shift on agency, people often do a double take because I don’t look my age (21). Ive never struggled for work either, I came back off holiday last year to an empty yard due to the gaffer selling the lorries and subbing the work out. He did save me a job in the office but i hated it, left on the friday and had my current job the next wednesday. Age has never been an issue for me personally.

Read this thread before I went to pick up The leader of the opposition from work and decided I’d have a look and see how “old” most of the drivers where (went down the Liverpool Dock Road) and I have to be honest a lot where over 50 (I’d guess).

Even in work I book in all the lorries onto the site , politely may I add…not little Hitler me, but they are also all 40+ , usually the young lads are all on 3663 :confused:

maga:
I used to stick up for my age group but as they’re all leaving uni this summer I’m starting to see what a work shy bunch they are. I think thats the main reason not many young lads/lasses are coming into haulage. A good mate of mine I know from the gym is 6’3 and weighs about 16stone, he jacked a job in because he hurt his back carrying breeze blocks ffs :laughing:

As for me I’ve been the youngest at every firm I’ve worked at and when i do the odd class 1 shift on agency, people often do a double take because I don’t look my age (21). Ive never struggled for work either, I came back off holiday last year to an empty yard due to the gaffer selling the lorries and subbing the work out. He did save me a job in the office but i hated it, left on the friday and had my current job the next wednesday. Age has never been an issue for me personally.

True dat.

All the easy class 1 jobs have old timers in them. All the grafter jobs cannot be filled by work shy youngsters.

Apparently the average age of a Class 1 licence holder nowadays is in excess of 55 years of age.

The DSA are also reporting a year on year drop in the number of HGV tests being undertaken across the country.

Meistre:
Apparently the average age of a Class 1 licence holder nowadays is in excess of 55 years of age.

The DSA are also reporting a year on year drop in the number of HGV tests being undertaken across the country.

That makes me a Youngster then, I’m 54 in December. Lol.

One reason for seeing older drivers is that driving job is a second career for a lot of us.I read in Truck and Driver about some school teachers becoming lorry drivers to escape the stress of the class room.The age old problem of no on the job training and not being willing to employ a youngish newly qualified driver is still with us.

How many youngsters have £3000 to gain their licence?

Well I’m 43 and still feel like a youngun in this game.

m1cks:
How many youngsters have £3000 to gain their licence?

Have a look at the schools, colleges, and uni car parks. It’s not the teachers and lecturers driving the 2010 onwards cars :wink:

Whether they have the money or not they don’t even see hgv driving as an avenue to go down. I’ll never forget the look my head of 6th form gave me when I said I wanted to be a driver :laughing:

I remember being 21 and sitting down with my dad and ushering those fatefull words a father does not want to hear:

‘Dad I have something to tell you…I want to drive big trucks’.

The look of horror on his face told me he would have preferred it if I was announcing I like it up the wrong un…

Mum took the news better and said I would still be their special son no matter what my vehicular persuasion was.

I know a couple of blokes who have been aasked to stay on despite been past retirement age

Dipper_Dave:
I remember being 21 and sitting down with my dad and ushering those fatefull words a father does not want to hear:

‘Dad I have something to tell you…I want to drive big trucks’.

The look of horror on his face told me he would have preferred it if I was announcing I like it up the wrong un…

Mum took the news better and said I would still be their special son no matter what my vehicular persuasion was.

Love it … :smiley:

dipper daves a poet and he don’t know it :wink: :wink: but if wit was shxt shakespear would be constipated :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am always in shock when I hear how old some drivers are over here :open_mouth:
I do have a small say in who is hired at my terminal as I am the head guy there, but I was told a few days back that they have accepted an application from a 74 year old man. I intend to retire as soon as I reach the right age.

get out asap my friend or change jobs because you obviously were not cut out to be in the transport industry, :wink: :wink: try an office or is that what you already are doing, if so that’s what your problem is, you will never understand sorry,on trucking or as we used to say back in the 60s-70s-80s-90s -even now keep on wagon driving, rant over :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: