Age over Reliability

Where I work, they sell lorries on their age rather than reliability; God knows why but in the last 2 or 3 years we’ve sold a batch of cracking Foden 4000s and a lovely ERF, yet still keep repairing turds like Daf CFs and Volvo FEs and FLs. Why do firms do this is it for image, or to keep drivers?

It can only be cost, surely nothing to do with keeping drivers we’re only scum aren’t we :smiley:

are you sure they are sold, they could just be at the end of the lease.
we’ve got a lad, it took the best part of 2 years to get him out of his old Daf.
kicking and screaming into his brand new scania.

limeyphil:
we’ve got a lad, it took the best part of 2 years to get him out of his old Daf.

Definitly owned outright. An S reg I used to drive went due to recession (understandable) but some Y regs went earlier this year and some 02s will go in the Autumn. A bit battle scarred yes but they kept gping and going. Except into London of course. I’d still be on the road now if I’d been given an 8legger. At least the kit I drive now is top notch and nearly new.

My firm keep the lorrys until they literally are dead. Got a couple of w reg motors in the yard used for shunting but I’m sure if work picked up they would fit exhausts for the lez and have them back out.

kr79:
My firm keep the lorrys until they literally are dead. Got a couple of w reg motors in the yard used for shunting but I’m sure if work picked up they would fit exhausts for the lez and have them back out.

Same happens at Coltons! Volvos kept going till they are dead! :laughing:

I think it’s a multitude of reasons really. A lot are only leased so are on a set time, then go back to the supplier in exchange for newer ones. Image does play a part I’m sure as well, as it makes a company look good to be running a fleet of brand new vehicles, look how many coach companies run private reg’s just to hide exactly how old they are.

Also, it’s generally perceived that a newer truck would be more reliable than an older one, and generally speaking I would say it was true as there’s less to wear on a truck having done no miles than one having done 3-400,000 one.

Our quietest quarry have had their shovels rebuilt rather than replaced, although as we’re the busiest we get new ones fairly regularly. Mine’s not next inline for renewal, but have quoted to replace it for the new K series that’s just out…£225000
:open_mouth:

limeyphil:

So would I if they were going to put me in a Scania :unamused:

altitude:

limeyphil:

So would I if they were going to put me in a Scania :unamused:

The 02 reg Foden you drove for us is being put up for sale, John. You also drove of those FE7s, which would you be glad to sell first?
:laughing:

Its all about keeping the tax bill down.Buy some new lorries and other things for the company to offset against tax.