Age Discrimination of drivers under 25

When the legislation in the link above is implemented will that actually mean people like me who send thousands out of our own pockets to enter an industry that cries out for young people, and then employs very few of them will no longer be discriminated against due to our age? At the end of the day my age has no bearing on my ability as a safe driver, I’m an individial human being who has never had a single accident in any vehicle, yet find it nigh on impossible to gain employment in a driving job because of my age.

it still boils down to the fact that insurance companys want to see no hgv drivers under 25.

bigandy:
it still boils down to the fact that insurance companys want to see no hgv drivers under 25.

Then lets see the insurance companies being taken to the cleaners for age discrimination.

killsville:

bigandy:

Then lets see the insurance companies being taken to the cleaners for age discrimination.

They would use the same get out clause that allows them to offer cheaper premiums to females - And ■■■ discrimanation has been law for quite a while now.

smcaul:

killsville:

bigandy:

They would use the same get out clause that allows them to offer cheaper premiums to females - And ■■■ discrimanation has been law for quite a while now.

Hasn’t the EU just stamped down on insurance companies discriminating on grounds of ■■■ and there for giving females cheaper car insurance?

bigandy:

Which is the worst thing imaginable for the industry. Twenty one is late enough for anyone to wait until they start out in a career, most people have done so long before then and by twenty-five even less people again are going to be in a position, or willing to start something fresh. The way this country works sometimes is just ludicrous.

My 6 year old cant wait for a go in the truck can someone let me know when the law is changed?. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The law is that when the person is under 21years of age here in Germany they are only allowed to drive inside Germany,with their CE licence ,after they reach 21 ,are allowed to drive outside Germany,

brit pete:
The law is that when the person is under 21years of age here in Germany they are only allowed to drive inside Germany,with their CE licence ,after they reach 21 ,are allowed to drive outside Germany,

Hi Pete,

Whats the situation in Germany with someone such as myself at 21? Is there the same amount of discrimination in the jobs market place where that most employers will only look at you if you’re 25 and over? (for whatever reason) as is the case in Britain.

bigandy:

It’s got nothing to do with insurance companies not wanting HGV drivers under 25, but the calculation of risk means higher premiums. It comes down to economics, like everything in the industry.
But keep looking as there are companies who take a chance with a young drivers and not t becuase they can’t get any other drivers, but becuase they understand and want to give people a chance.
Get away from the big PLC’s they have rigid policies on recruitment, go and see small family hauliers and persuade them how keen you are to get into the industry, most are ex truck drivers so might remember when they were young and keen.

muckles:

bigandy:

It’s got nothing to do with insurance companies not wanting HGV drivers under 25, but the calculation of risk means higher premiums. It comes down to economics, like everything in the industry.
But keep looking as there are companies who take a chance with a young drivers and not t becuase they can’t get any other drivers, but becuase they understand and want to give people a chance.
Get away from the big PLC’s they have rigid policies on recruitment, go and see small family hauliers and persuade them how keen you are to get into the industry, most are ex truck drivers so might remember when they were young and keen.

Thanks Muckles. Once I get my licence back, I couldn’t send the pass certificate off until last week because I needed my licence with me to drive to Germany, I’ll then go around in my car to every company I can think of who runs rigids in North Lincolnshire area and speak to them directly face to face. I will try agencies too if I get no joy from the companies.

IF wish to work for 650-1000pounds take home pay a month for about
240hours a month .can you speak read write german, if you wish to get a good job you will require all those points that i have mentioned. you could try EDDIE STOBART at Lokkeren Belgium :smiley:ue to the contract with the MOD you may stand a better chance, and the wages are better, or Brit-european out of Zeebrugge as they are looking for drivers as well,
what about working for Hoyer ,on the roadtankers ,here they are allmways
looking for drivers as well, try the yard in Trafford park Manchester or the yard in Middlesbourgh,also how about the supermarts like Tescos. aldi
etc just athought, TO BE HONEST I WOULD FORGET ABOUT Germany due to the state of the unemployment stands at 5.2million the bosses are
just not willing to pay the required wage at the majority of firms,which one requires you to beable to live.

Thanks for that Pete. I know what you mean about German firms, in another post I mentioned what Nikolaus Hammerer drivers were on and its practically Eastern European wages and 95% of their drivers are Germans and Austrians apparently so that just shows how bad things are. I only really thought of Germany as I have a lot of family there and it would give me some sort of base to start from.

you could also try Rinnen this is a german firm and they have a base inthe UK and also some of these drivers do go over the water,or what about Freund this firm is based in Koln, or EBT from Dover they are a silo
company and do go all over the place. how about Brian yeardly ;OR Hauser
from leeds,

brit pete:

I would exdent it,as it was 20 Years ago,that Drivers must first do a Year on a C Licence before they get a CE Licence

fred Kanka:

brit pete:

I would exdent it,as it was 20 Years ago,that Drivers must first do a Year on a C Licence before they get a CE Licence

Maybe not a bad idea in theory Fred but the problem is that C+E jobs seem to out number C jobs by about 10 to 1, where I am anyway so it could potentially be very difficult to get that 1 years experience in the first place.

muckles:

bigandy:

Got it in one Muckles,

Insurance company’s don’t really care but will charge extortionate premiums for inexperienced drivers (Under 25). You sometimes find the occassional company who are willing to pay the extra money, but most larger ones try and cut costs as much as poss. Lower premiums mean higher profits.
Companies here will tell you that no insurance company will insure any driver with less than one years proven experience and that is ‘BS’ :exclamation: Any owner driver can pass the test, buy a truck and get insured and how the hell are you supposed to get that one years experience anyway :question: