Age 45 medical

Where has the time gone? Twenty years of Class 1 driving and my age-45 medical was something I never thought would arrive. but I’m 45 in January!

Am I correct in my understanding that the DVLA send a form before your HGV licence expires? If so, how close to one’s 45th does the form arrive? I know I’ve still got 3 1/2 months, but knowing how bad the DVLA are these days, I’m already thinking about getting onto it sooner rather than later.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

EDIT: It seems I didn’t look quite far enough. After a bit more clicking around I see they send forms out 56 days before 45th birthday.

Do you have to give a pee sample?

No pee sample involved.
Just blood pressure and a sight test.
Had mine today (aged 73)

D4D is the place to go as they do it at a time convenient to you, and are cheaper than your gp.

d4drivers.uk/

Thanks gents, I’ll follow up that link.

Blood pressure’s been a bit elevated for a while, so a bit concerned about that, as not taking medication. It’s not wildly out of control, but is higher than ideal.

Had my first to get provisional in 2013, checked blood presure, wee (for drugs), eyesight.
Next in 2018 to get pcv, checked the same again. So yes they do take a wee sample. Not sure why a wee sample wouldn’t be requested when it’s how they check for any drug use weeks, months before hand.

ezydriver:

Blood pressure’s been a bit elevated for a while, so a bit concerned about that, as not taking medication. It’s not wildly out of control, but is higher than ideal.

It might be worth attending to this issue now, medication will bring your blood pressure down so it might be an idea to get started on a course before your medical so it has time to take effect.

Unless it has changed, I believe the urine sample is only used to check for diabetes.

After 70 it’s an annual medical - and I’ve NEVER been asked for a pee sample! Maybe they just like the cut of my gib?

I’m on my…

4th medical now and I’ve never widdled in a bottle at any of them.

Wee could get a sWEEpstakes going about if you get one or not.

RevTony:
After 70 it’s an annual medical - and I’ve NEVER been asked for a pee sample! Maybe they just like the cut of my gib?

annual medical from age 65

My birthday is end of Feb and i got the forms beginning of Jan or maybe end of Dec.

I completely forgot about the medical at 45, I turn 45 in a couple of weeks. Not had any forms from dvla yet but I’ve checked my licence and it’s valid until 2027 as I only renewed it last year. Does that mean I’m ok until 2027 when it needs renewing??

Harry Monk:

ezydriver:

It might be worth attending to this issue now, medication will bring your blood pressure down so it might be an idea to get started on a course before your medical so it has time to take effect.

Unless it has changed, I believe the urine sample is only used to check for diabetes.

The doctor did start me on medication, but there were side effects, so I came off them after a month. I’m currently making many lifestyle changes (quite extreme ones), and it’s having a small, but noticeable affect.

Night-and-day:
I completely forgot about the medical at 45, I turn 45 in a couple of weeks. Not had any forms from dvla yet but I’ve checked my licence and it’s valid until 2027 as I only renewed it last year. Does that mean I’m ok until 2027 when it needs renewing??

There isn’t a need to get a medical at the exact age of 45, just when your five year licence next runs out.

ezydriver:

This isn’t currently on the form, but there was a point when urinalysis for glucose levels was part of the medical.

Some driver medicals still include this in the service for an unknown reason.

Noremac:

ezydriver:

This isn’t currently on the form, but there was a point when urinalysis for glucose levels was part of the medical.

Some driver medicals still include this in the service for an unknown reason.

There’s not much if any difference now between the medical requirements to drive a truck or a car.Blood Pressure issues and control are just as strict and the difference between and the conditions regarding, medication controlled v insulin controlled diabetes are the same in either case.
The latter puts you under the conditional reviewed licencing and two hypos in a year you’re out regime, either way.

You can go to one of the Medicals R us operators and you will be in and out in 15 minutes for about £60.00. Your own G.P. if you have one would give you a thorough examination for about £200.00 . If you are happy with your general health just pay the£60.00

Just about to book a medical. But before that, I looked at my licence, and my C+E shows an expiry date of Jun 2026, when I’ll be well into my 47th year.

I’m going to do my medical now anyway, but can anybody shed any light on this? It’s left me a bit baffled. Will my licence expire on my 45th birthday, or will it run til June 2026? The last medical I did was in 2004 aged 25.

Ezydriver, your licence will run to 2026, if you were lucky enough, like you, and you renewed near to your 45th birthday, youwould get the extra few years before you need the medical don’t waste your money on a medical now.

Sapper

sapper:
Ezydriver, your licence will run to 2026, if you were lucky enough, like you, and you renewed near to your 45th birthday, youwould get the extra few years before you need the medical don’t waste your money on a medical now.

Sapper

Yep , renewed mine in 2019 and I was 45 in 2020 , new one came back 2024
Still not had any thing from DVLA 3 years down the line :open_mouth:

Thanks mate. I just don’t understand why that’s happened. I was wondering if the 2026 date somehow referred to my photo expiring.