Aftermath of an Accident in Denshaw

MrJake:
Thanks for ‘Bumping’ it or us newbies might have missed it, I used to carry styrene for a few years out of ‘Enichem’ at Fawley and can agree it stinks. :sunglasses:

No probs hope you found it of interest.

Its now five years this month since i first posted this thread so thought i would bump it up for anyone who may have missed it.
Regards Paul

Is that the Junction Pub behind the tanker on the left?

B1 GGK:
Is that the Junction Pub behind the tanker on the left?

Junction Inn.jpg

Yes it sure is. :slight_smile:

Hi Paul.
I lived just up the road from the Junction pub at Whisbey cottages during the 90s and used to leave my car on the main road overnight,many a morning came out and o/s mirror was bent backwards or had gone missing, after replacing it 3 times decided to park in the avenue over the road.

Stanfield:
Hi Paul.
I lived just up the road from the Junction pub at Whisbey cottages during the 90s and used to leave my car on the main road overnight,many a morning came out and o/s mirror was bent backwards or had gone missing, after replacing it 3 times decided to park in the avenue over the road.

Hi John.
I lived on Dumfries Ave from 83 until 2003 you must have parked your car outside our house at times :slight_smile:

Thats the avenue Paul,small world mate.Remember asking the lady at the 1st house if she minded me parking there,I lived there from 91/93 at no 4.Working at Sadlers/Townson at the time.

On the 2nd of February 1990 this was the scene in the centre of the village of Denshaw.
The tanker had come off the M62 motorway at Junction 22 and was heading downhill towards Oldham through Denshaw village along the A672.
A van pulled out into the path of the tanker at the crossroads and on impact completely spun round while the tanker, which crashed through the stone wall, would have plunged all the way down the embankment but for the huge tree stopping it which the remains of can be seen in the bottom left of the second picture.
The tanker contained a full load of styrene which started to leak into the atmosphere this resulted in the area being sealed
off all day and late into night while the styrene was pumped out and transferred to another tanker.

These pictures are from my personal collection.

They can also be seen on the Geograph site here

Was both drivers ok?
and good pictures thanks for that :smiley:

Hope the drivers were both OK.

that looks like the remains of a Volvo F10

shuttlespanker:
Hope the drivers were both OK.

that looks like the remains of a Volvo F10

From what i remember the F10 driver escaped relatively unscathed but the van driver was taken to hospital with head injuries.
The tanker unit was a red F10 from Cleckheaton in Yorkshire.

I’ve carried thousands of gallons of Styrene and it was a strong smelling liquid,the locals would have known about it :open_mouth: .
I wonder if it was on it’s way to Sterling Mouldings in Stalybridge,they used a lot of Styrene and was a regular drop for me,mostly ex BP at Baglan Bay.

Looks like he had a lucky escape,

I was sent to Immingham to tranship a load of Styrene after the dockers knocked the foot valve off a lift tank :open_mouth: When I arrived the fire brigade had an old petrol driven pump in a van and wanted to use it. :unamused:

I got the docker to lift the damaged tank up in the air and let gravity do the rest.

Chris Webb:
I’ve carried thousands of gallons of Styrene and it was a strong smelling liquid,the locals would have known about it :open_mouth: .
I wonder if it was on it’s way to Sterling Mouldings in Stalybridge,they used a lot of Styrene and was a regular drop for me,mostly ex BP at Baglan Bay.

Yes it was enroute to Sterlings i lived about 200 yards from the accident you could even taste the Styrne in the atmosphere all through the night.

Paul

Its two years this week since i first posted this thread so thought i would bump it up for anyone who may have missed it. :smiley:

Paul, Have you found out who owned the tanker yet.I also lived a few hundred yards away in the cottages just before the junction .

I wonder if Alan Walker can remember who’s vehicle it was as I seem to remember he was often called out to chemical incidents such as this.

moomooland:
Its two years this week since i first posted this thread so thought i would bump it up for anyone who may have missed it. :smiley:

I’ll confess that this is a topic that I’d missed, so thanks for bumping it. :smiley:

Thanks for ‘Bumping’ it or us newbies might have missed it, I used to carry styrene for a few years out of ‘Enichem’ at Fawley and can agree it stinks. :sunglasses: