Aftermarket truck diagnostics

Anyone know of or can recommend a supplier of nonOEM programs and the necessary lap-top hook-up leads for connecting in to a Truck (or even automobile or construction eqpt) to view logged errors and diagnostics.

A couple of local mechanics use a system made by TEXA, it is not cheap though

you can pick up Car ODB can bus leads on evilbay for less than a tenner just make sure you get the 16 pin version otherwise known as a VAG (VW) lead , and the software is either freeware or cheap, but Im not sure if theyll work on 24 truck systems. As the cables I`ve seen the fitters use have some form of black box half way along the lead. Whether this is to reduce the voltage or for something else I dunno. likewise the software maybe more truck specific

The leads are freely available on Ebay(other auction sites are available) - the software is a different matter especially OEM diagnostic software - a mate of mine runs a Land Rover independent garage and paid nearly £7k for the software… as if a non registered OEM diagnostic software is used the system logs its use and OEM’s will use its use to invalidate any warrenty

Thanks very much for the feedback and the links fellas!

All much appreciated.

jaltest.co.uk/

they seem to know what’s what.

The little black box half way along is called a mux and it basically translates code from each system (so braking is haldex for instance) and converts it into manufacturer so you only have one programme on the computer! You can get manufacturer specific diagnostics that will give you dealer level diag but there very expensive and can only do one make! The Texa etc is good cause you can do any make but only diag no programming!! There’s an irish company that has them all for sale!

no, car obd sicket is slightly different to a truck one, annoyingly! not found/tried a usb lead and freeware / nickedware but i have used the texa system and it is very good. but 'kin expensive!