Aftermarket stereo in a new 105XF

Hi all
Just bought a DAB radio/CD player to replace the junk bosch radio that Daf supplied. I realise I have to change to 12v that’s not a problem, what is bothering me whatever is what kind of aerial fitting is that? New one on me :unamused:
Does anyone know if I can get get an adaptor from somewhere, don’t really want to have to cut coax to fit a “normal” plug as I’ll be putting std head unit back in when it (or I) goes away :wink:
Any ideas would be much appreciated
Cheers
Davie

the standard radio in the DAF will already be 12v, ran through a dropper, so, fitting an aftermarket radio will not be a problem

as for the aerial, it is normally a standard type plug on the end that goes in to a 90 degree socket in the back of the radio

shuttlespanker:
the standard radio in the DAF will already be 12v, ran through a dropper, so, fitting an aftermarket radio will not be a problem

as for the aerial, it is normally a standard type plug on the end that goes in to a 90 degree socket in the back of the radio

I’ve fitted more radios than I’ve had proper meals…
The daf radio is 24 volt, that is not in question.
The aerial connection is a square plastic female socket, never seen one like that before
I just thought I’d ask in case someone had actually done one themselves

well, that must be a new thing in the 105, as the XF95 and the CF range, it is 12v, and the aerial is normal plug

sorry, can’t help you then :frowning:

the crap radios in the 105 are 24v and a git to change as arial is differant also you will need 2 x 12 v sorces as you need to have one in the contsant power source so you dont loose your stations each time you turn off daf quoted 300 sqid to change .is yours the one with the usb and jack plug in between the interior light switch and the night heater switch

have a look at www.dabonwheels.co.uk
they sell DAB aerial converters so you can use your existing FM/AM aerial.

DAF radios were changed to 24v some time back in 2007.

Electrician at DAF told me that if you don’t spec a radio they come with both 12v & 24v wiring but where a radio is specced then only 24v connections are provided. Apparently it is possible to buy the additional loom to provide 12v feed with DIN connectors fitted but it is neither cheap nor an easy job to do.

As for the aerial connector I doubt if it’s unique to DAF so there must be an adapter available somewhere.

As for DAB one of our drivers has one and reckons that you can by a splitter to run both analog and digital sides of the radio through the one fitted aerial. Trouble is they are apparently a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

As an aside if the truck has the upgraded 6 speaker package then stick with the DAF fitted radio. These are designed to work through 6 channels instead of the 4 that most aftermarket radios offer. One of our trucks was retrofitted with the speakers but not the corresponding DAF supplied radio. It is now on its third very expensive head unit and still isn’t anywhere near the sound quality of the ones with the complete DAF fitted kit.

Cheers
Neilf

Just as a follow up … Dab fitted and working perfectly for a few months now. Aerial adaptor bought from a motorist DIY shop, same as Audi apparently. My truck just has the 2 speaker set up , though I had the Daf demo last week and it had the same head unit as mine had, but with the 6 speakers. Amazing difference, if mine had I wouldn’t have changed it, so if your buying a daf, don’t skimp on the speakers!!!

the daf i had had the 2 speaker set up , it would be worth checking the blank holes for the extra speaker wires , if they are there then try connecting a speaker to see if they will work, mine did.

Where about Gaz? I’ve looked under the bunk but maybe they’re tucked under the floormat somewhere, also no tweeter wires at the pillar, but all the wires go into the loom at the back of head unit, I did ask a guy in daf when I got it if the wires were there, and if he would tell me where they were stowed, he just told me if I wanted to know it was a chargeable job.
I’ll have another look some night I’m parked up early once the light nights are back lol

I had a CF a few years back and the wires were scellotaped onto the back wall behind the speaker covers. Fitted some speakers and the worked perfectly. Just be careful not to let go of the wires. God only knows how you will get them back if you drop them.