After some advice... ...and also a different point of veiw

rpmmatt:
This was some months ago, and over the last little while I have been struggling to deal with what happened, and coming to terms with an accident that may or may not have been my fault I still remember nothing prior to the accident,

Along with other posters advise on seeing your doctor about sleep disorders I would suggest you also talk about depression and even PTSD, you are in a very stressful position and it will most likely be affecting your health now.

rpmmatt:
As for sentencing, well, I used to think a ban and big fine, but from what I’ve been told its a bit like this:

Due to the nature of this accident -a motorway pile up- people quite often get killed. Now, although no one was killed in this case the court looks at it as what COULD of happened as well as what DID happen.

I believe the courts in our fine country have to rely on facts and not “what could happen” after all, the accident could have resulted in no injuries applying what you have been told would result in every fight ABH, GBH etc found guilty getting 10 yr sentences as death is a possibility.

If you are as honest and contrite in court as you have been on here I would be very surprised if you got a custodial sentence.

I very much doubt that you would go to prison for this.

I would suggest that you plead not guilty to whatever you are charged with, and plead guilty to the next charge down the list.

Do you know what the most serious injury was?

i don’t think anyone can just tell you it’ll get better but i’m sure it will given enough time. from what you’ve said it sounds like there’s a medical reason you lost it on that day (get checked out for sleep apnea) it’s unlikely you’ll go down especially if you have a medical condition.
you had an accident pure and simple don’t let it ruin your life!!
i wish you well for the trial and future. hopefully you can get back in the saddle soon.