After reading AEC V8 thread-phew, but

Hi
I’ve only just joined as it took me so long to read the AEC V8 thread :slight_smile:.

But from that what I have learnt is that there are some incredibly talented and knowledgeable members on this forum and I am hoping that I can tap into some of that valuable encyclopedic resource.

I am an Ex forces mechanic from the 70’s onwards, i got posted to Cyprus and got introduced to AEC Mammoth Major Refuellers and the Scammell Crusader (which i took my test in) and from then on it was pure addiction.

When i finally left the RAF my claim to small fame was pulling an old AEC Reliance coach out of the ditch and getting it roadworthy, man that coach could shift, i shudder now to think what i did down the botley hill in oxford :slight_smile:

So that leads me to this bit:
I have spent a long long time to try and find info about AEC’s so that i can make a large working scale model to rekindle my youth, i had almost given up and was accepting that the best i could do was to study the pictures of the spares and service manuals i purchased on eBay, but then, i found some excellent pictures and information in the V8 thread that contained so much more than i have found over the last year or so.
I have already started on a working petrol V8 (Diesel is out i’m afraid), the chassis for it i would like to build is the Mammoth Major 6 legger V8 seen in those brilliant black and white pictures on here, i had no idea that was built until i had seen them, what a stunner.

It looks a wonderful beast and means my AV760 will have to wait for a couple of years.
If anybody is able to point an delusional man to any information i can use to build the scale model i will be eternally grateful, as what started as a model that’s close enough to a properly scaled model thanks to that thread :unamused: :grimacing:
Many thanks Malc

Well there’s an auction on saturday and some V8s are up for sale i think its in Lincolnshire Cav has put a link on here but i forget where. Cav and Gingerfold are the expert AEC men and a guy who went by the name of ERF who has rebuilt an absolute cracking V8 Mandator by all accounts but unfortunately doesn’t post anymore

ramone:
Well there’s an auction on saturday and some V8s are up for sale i think its in Lincolnshire Cav has put a link on here but i forget where. Cav and Gingerfold are the expert AEC men and a guy who went by the name of ERF who has rebuilt an absolute cracking V8 Mandator by all accounts but unfortunately doesn’t post anymore

Kev Dennis’s yard, Wainfleet, Skegness 10.30 Saturday, Cheffins selling off his collection, free downloadable PDF catalogue on their website. Lots of engines including one described as a “Leyland V8”.
Bernard

Thank you for the names and i did see that regretfully ERF no longer comes here, and i saw the coments about his mandator a sight to behold i bet.