After losing LGV licence for 10 months I am back on the road

Just wanted to post an update for anyone else this happens to ,it can sort its self out.
So May 19 2022 had a heart attack whilst driving my motorhome back from Cornwall after a long weekend of cycling and walking the north cornish coast. Week before was trucking double deck LST’s for brown wagons G.
Spent 2 months in a hospital bed waiting for quadruple bypass as heart was unstable. Operation and recovery could not have gone better, having a big dog and walking 10 k a day also helped. Tread mill test completed and licence back ready to do a couple of shifts a week. And of course losing 2 stone in weight has helped.

Good to hear…

You’re fit and well. My guess is the most stressful part of all of this was dealing with the DVLA doctors etc (judging by other threads on the matter, it can be a nightmare).

I’m nosey, how old are you please?

yourhavingalarf:
Good to hear…

You’re fit and well. My guess is the most stressful part of all of this was dealing with the DVLA doctors etc (judging by other threads on the matter, it can be a nightmare).

I’m nosey, how old are you please?

I was 66 December just passed so I have had a couple of months pension which has helped financially as after 26 weeks sick pay stopped and I was unable to claim any benefits due to having been self-employed paying only 2nd class stamps. As for DVLA not too bad, spoke on the phone and they were most helpful.

66 eh…

I think I might still have a few more years of ■■■ and drugs and rock and roll then. :smiley:

Nice one mate,.glad you got back on your feet,.and behind the wheel.
If it was me however .I’d be calling it a day if I could afford it, and be looking at it as a new start second chance type vibe, but each to his own.
Good luck. :wink:

Well done Mike, I lost my entitlement for six months during the hoax pandemic because DVLA wanted me to have a heart scan which weren’t being done at the time, I couldn’t claim benefits because of my dubious legal status and DVLA were useless. Luckily I had some savings but they were nearly depleted when I finally sorted it out.

I get to retirement age in 2025 but I’ll probably carry on doing what I do now, work over Winter and go boating over Summer. I find work a lot easier to tolerate when I only do it half the year.

Harry Monk:
Well done Mike, I lost my entitlement for six months during the hoax pandemic because DVLA wanted me to have a heart scan which weren’t being done at the time, I couldn’t claim benefits because of my dubious legal status and DVLA were useless. Luckily I had some savings but they were nearly depleted when I finally sorted it out.

I get to retirement age in 2025 but I’ll probably carry on doing what I do now, work over Winter and go boating over Summer. I find work a lot easier to tolerate when I only do it half the year.

How do you keep a HGV licence on a boat with no permanent address ?

Narc:

Harry Monk:

I use my ex-partner’s address for everything, DVLA, HMRC, Bank etc etc etc which is perfectly legal as there’s no legal requirement to spend a certain amount of time at one’s home address. Technically I do live there and I’m on the electoral register there. She opens any mail that comes and sends me a photo of it and if it needs actioning she posts it up either to the village Post Office here, or wherever I might be at the time. Having said that, nearly everything can be done online nowadays.

Harry Monk:

Narc:

Harry Monk:

I use my ex-partner’s address for everything, DVLA, HMRC, Bank etc etc etc which is perfectly legal as there’s no legal requirement to spend a certain amount of time at one’s home address. Technically I do live there and I’m on the electoral register there. She opens any mail that comes and sends me a photo of it and if it needs actioning she posts it up either to the village Post Office here, or wherever I might be at the time. Having said that, nearly everything can be done online nowadays.

That sounds like a great way of life, working over the dull months and living your life properly through the better months. Well played!

Harry Monk:

Narc:

Harry Monk:

I lived in a truck for over a decade and used my parents address. As Harry says perfectly legal and above board

Great news happy for you. That’s a serious life event by anyone’s standards!

robroy:
Nice one mate,.glad you got back on your feet,.and behind the wheel.
If it was me however .I’d be calling it a day if I could afford it, and be looking at it as a new start second chance type vibe, but each to his own.
Good luck. :wink:

To be honest 10 months off the road with no income apart from SSP ( sick pay ) £90 something a week was hard as we were planning our retirement by working only 3 days a week to build funds for the 4 months of winter a year we were going to spent in Portugal & Spain plus Morroco. We spent £70,000 of our pension pot on a new motorhome in January 22 which sort of left us short as I was hoping to earn more in 22. Again this was before the gas price rises etc. So it looks like a couple of days a week just to pay the bills.