After 4.5hrs

Ok, so I know I can’t drive more than 4.5, without at least taking a 45, but, to settle an argument at work, can a driver, upon completion of 4.5 hrs driving, carry out other work, provided he takes a 45 prior to resuming driving?

cracker-bar:
Ok, so I know I can’t drive more than 4.5, without at least taking a 45, but, to settle an argument at work, can a driver, upon completion of 4.5 hrs driving, carry out other work, provided he takes a 45 prior to resuming driving?

No, the regulations say “After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes, unless he takes a rest period”.

The DVSA say in their guide “After a driving period of no more than 4.5 hours, a driver must immediately take a break of at least 45 minutes unless he takes a rest period”.

So after 4½ hours driving you cannot legally do any work until you’ve had a 45 minute break.

I have driven for 4hr25min then done other work before my break as I hadn’t done 4.5hrs and still had 5min driving time left to get me of the bay and park up for my break.

There is the loop hole in that ruling.

Eat My BB:
I have driven for 4hr25min then done other work before my break as I hadn’t done 4.5hrs and still had 5min driving time left to get me of the bay and park up for my break.

that’s not a loop hole you just haven’t done 4.5hrs driving …

Eat My BB:

In no way, shape or form is that a loophole. if there was a way to legally do other work before a break after 4.5 hours driving then that would be a loophole. There isn’t and you didn’t do 4.5 hours driving so no loophole at all.

Every day is a school day, never knew this.
So, I’d be able to drive 4hr 29, other work for 1hr 30, drive for 1 min?

Look595:

YUP :smiley:

ROG:

Look595:

YUP :smiley:

as long as you don’t exceed 6hrs yep

Look595:

Yep, but you couldn’t drive for 4:30 then do 1 hour 30 minutes other work. Same amount of work in the same amount of time, one legal and the other not. daft isn’t it?

Same scenario with these two options.

1:30 work, 4:30 driving, that’s legal

4:30 driving, 1:30 work, that’s not legal.