Another beautiful Mk 5.

A great photo and not a ratchet strap in sight

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:
Another beautiful Mk 5.

A great photo and not a ratchet strap in sight

A fair old clout in the front.

One for Mr Webb

I was at windmill lane in southall yesterday right where the old AEC factory was-not a trace of it left now.

ramone:
One for Mr Webb

Based at Sheffield depot.It were another ex Harold Wood wagon,regular driver were Albert Noble IIRC.

Found on FB,one for Mr. Ramone.

Ref the pic of the Oswald Transport Mandator, I recall seeing them at a transport cafe on the A34 in between the traffic lights at Talke Pits and what is now the A500. Did Oswald have a change-over there? This would be back in the 1960’s when I was a lorry mad whipper-snapper, and my dad would take me to a bridge near to Kidsgrove to watch the lorries using the A34.

Chris Webb:
Found on FB,one for Mr. Ramone.

Oh yes there’s a few of Bakers AECs on FB Chris i think it was Bakers son who posted them

Would any of you explain why this 1937 reg’ Mammoth has three headlamps of three different sizes? The one below the bumper must be a fog lamp, but then what about the two other ones? Thanks.
I notice Whitbread seemed to object about recruiting middle-aged men!

It seems this Matador was recabbed, and maybe also repowered, perhaps in the '60s or '70s. But where was this picture taken? The only choice Googles suggests is Duckworth Lane, Bradford. Would it match with the picture? Thanks.

Froggy55:
It seems this Matador was recabbed, and maybe also repowered, perhaps in the '60s or '70s. But where was this picture taken? The only choice Googles suggests is Duckworth Lane, Bradford. Would it match with the picture? Thanks.

Could this be the same one?

Judging by the Alexander style front dome I’d reckon this was an in house conversion by Glasgow Corporation Transport. I remember these recovery trucks as a small boy but the reg no is intriguing as the FYS series (captive to GCT) was first issued in 1949 but the style of front dome wasn’t introduced until the early 60’s. I can only assume they had a face lift in the mid 60’s.

Pic courtesy of @Mollsmyre

FYS 10.jpeg

Froggy55:
Would any of you explain why this 1937 reg’ Mammoth has three headlamps of three different sizes? The one below the bumper must be a fog lamp, but then what about the two other ones? Thanks.

Possibly built with only a nearside headlight and a fog light originally. Dipped beam only lit up the nearside headlight on London buses until the late 1960s. WW2 would have seen masked headlights so maybe this was removed or blanked off and an additional headlight fited on the o/s small enough for the masked shroud to be fitted. Post war the n/s may then have been reinstated.

Dennis Javelin:

Froggy55:

Could this be the same one?

Well, it indeed looks very similar and belongs to Bradford Council, which matches with my picture. Had the driver to display this pan under the engine at each stop? I thought only Triumph motorbikes had oil leaks… :laughing:

cav551:

Froggy55:

Possibly built with only a nearside headlight and a fog light originally. Dipped beam only lit up the nearside headlight on London buses until the late 1960s. WW2 would have seen masked headlights so maybe this was removed or blanked off and an additional headlight fited on the o/s small enough for the masked shroud to be fitted. Post war the n/s may then have been reinstated.

Thanks!

cav551:

Froggy55:

That looks like the most likely explanation, as the AEC is clearly a '30s pre-war model. Another possibility occurred to me: the big nearside lamp was probably trained on the kerb (a practice used with the old 20 mph heavies) and that the lamp had simply been replaced with whatever was in the workshop that day.

Froggy55:

This photo was taken at the entrance to the new Bradford Interchange on Nelson Street. I think there was / is a workshop underground. It was opened in 1973 and was quite impressive when new but was short lived as the entrance in the photo is now part of Santander who built offices there when part of the Interchange was demolished■■? The bus being towed in was one of a batch of Scania`s bought in 74/75 not sure which but were a disaster again not sure why but i think it was something to do with the transmissions. At the far end of Nelson St was the Ludlham St garage and there are photos on the net of many old Bradford Corporation buses waiting to be disposed of and im sure either this Matador or another one similar pushing an old Regent into line. This could still be about in the Keighley bus museum,if anyone is still awake after reading this i apologize for boring you

Mrs Karen Snooty and her opinion of the Scania Metropolitan:

youtube.com/watch?v=1pNHPzvJy6I&t=98s

The main issue with the Metropolitan was severe corrosion. There were also gearbox issues . The London examples also suffered from LT’s obsession with ‘improving’ the basic product and tinkering with the automatic gearbox’s change points which resulted in repeated up down up down up changes at critical roadspeeds.

ramone:

Froggy55:

This photo was taken at the entrance to the new Bradford Interchange on Nelson Street. I think there was / is a workshop underground. It was opened in 1973 and was quite impressive when new but was short lived as the entrance in the photo is now part of Santander who built offices there when part of the Interchange was demolished■■? The bus being towed in was one of a batch of Scania`s bought in 74/75 not sure which but were a disaster again not sure why but i think it was something to do with the transmissions. At the far end of Nelson St was the Ludlham St garage and there are photos on the net of many old Bradford Corporation buses waiting to be disposed of and im sure either this Matador or another one similar pushing an old Regent into line. This could still be about in the Keighley bus museum,if anyone is still awake after reading this i apologize for boring you

Anything but boring! I wouldn’t have thought that bus could have been a Scania, especially in the mid '70s! Thanks!