aec

ERF-NGC-European:

Now, in my ignorance, I would not have expected pallets in that era.

essexpete:

ERF-NGC-European:

Tell you what Pete since I’ve been on here I’ve said the same thing about lots of things, don’t know if it’s the lack of memory or what it is, something I saw a couple of weeks ago was a vehicle around this age with a window in the bottom half of the passenger door, I would’ve said that was only a recent thing to prevent blind spots for bikes etc but clearly they had that thought many years before the popularity of them now especially on tippers in London.

Kempston:

essexpete:

ERF-NGC-European:

Tell you what Pete since I’ve been on here I’ve said the same thing about lots of things, don’t know if it’s the lack of memory or what it is, something I saw a couple of weeks ago was a vehicle around this age with a window in the bottom half of the passenger door, I would’ve said that was only a recent thing to prevent blind spots for bikes etc but clearly they had that thought many years before the popularity of them now especially on tippers in London.

I think Esso had some Leyland Beavers with the kerbside window

Foden also had cabs with these low windows fitted, they supplied Tate and Lyle with eight ballast tractors in the 50’s with this fitment, they also had them on some crane chassis cabs. Pallets came into use sometime in the 30’s/40’s, it was a further development of the wooden stillage which was just a wooden panel platform with supports at each corner, the Pallet had a central support added for strength and sometimes the top and bottom were similar so it could be used any way up and single or double sided, eventually it developed into the two way type or four way and even eight way (diagonally) as we know them now. There was also no standard size or method of build for many years with many variations as no doubt many on here will recall. That was until 1988 when three standard sizes were decided on mainly to fit into containers. Franky.

> essexpete:
> > ERF-NGC-European:
> > 0
>
>
> Now, in my ignorance, I would not have expected pallets in that era.

They did have them well into the 70s, they brought them ‘near’ to the tailboard/rear of trailer and we handballed on to their pallets, when you had a 40 footer and suggested they brought the pallets to where the load was to save time and walking up & down with the load; “Sorry Guv Union Rules” or in other words “■■■■ You Driver”

No need to rush, there’s plenty to go round ! NMP off FB

coomsey:

That’s an impressive line up !

Kempston:

coomsey:

That’s an impressive line up !

SWTT - Samuel Williams Thames Terminal Dagenham Dock. They had the John Hudson fuels contract amongst other things.I loaded out of their tank farm many times in 70s,and as long as you had your union card it was a good place to load.You could load on morning and afternoon shifts - 0600 - 2200 which was handy. I read somewhere that they put a ■■■■■■■ engine in a 110 Scania.They were also one of the first users of the Scania-Vabis units.

coomsey:

That photo highlights just how UK industry has missed many a trick.

coomsey:

Put my name down for one of them. :smiley:

What model was this gal, I don’t recall seeing one before.NMP

coomsey:

It’s an AEC MK3 Mammoth Major with their own cab design I think Coomsey,Wincanton did the same sort of thing with their AECs.

coomsey:

I’d be more than happy taking that out tomorrow Coomsey. Cracking looking motor.

N M P.
scan0095.jpg

TruckNetUK . Oldtime Lorries. AEC. Remembrance Day,Thursday,11th November,2021. VALKYRIE

EssexPete:

Coomsey:

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile: I hope that you are alright.

Well said EssexPete! :exclamation: :slight_smile: This photograph shows just how very popular AEC lorries were within the British Road Transport Industry! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
they were also very popular in export markets! :exclamation: :slight_smile: AEC motorcoaches and buses were also popular both in the United Kingdom and abroad of course :slight_smile:

…and to think the terrible and incompetent mis-management of the tragi-comic British Leyland criminally and tragically scrapped AEC…and Albion

…and Guy…and Thornycroft…and Bristol…and Daimler…and this mis-management eventually led to the phasing out of Scammell and even Leyland itself! :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused:

Which was all to the great advantage of foreign commercial vehicle manufactures such as Scania,Mercedes-Benz and Volvo… All very poignant.

AEC Mammoth Major Eight MkIII,Tin Front MkIII & MkV R8 Tanker Lorries of John Hudson-Samuel Williams,Thames Terminal,Dagenham Dock.TNUK,OTL,AEC,53.11-2021.3#

Chris Webb:

Coomsey:

It’s an AEC MK3 Mammoth Major with their own cab design I think Coomsey,Wincanton did the same sort of thing with their AECs.

This AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII Motor Tanker Lorry has a Strachans cab - Silver Roadways had some Strachans - cabbed AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII’s :slight_smile:

I think both the Express Dairy and Silver Roadways Strachan AEC’s had sliding doors…to quote the title of the famous Sliding Doors romantic film drama! :exclamation: :smiley:

Several of these AEC Strachans lorries ended up as fairground and circus vehicles.

Strachans’ origins date back to 1894 trading as Brown,became Brown & Hughes in 1895,became Brown,Hughes & Strachan in 1907 and eventually became Brown & Strachan,and became
well known for building bus and motorcoach bodies.It became Strachans (Acton) Ltd in 1929,was reformed in 1934 as Strachans (Successors) Ltd and continued to build motorcoach
and bus bodies until 1974.Another famous British motorcoach and bus body manufacturer long gone. British Leyland themselves closed a few down:C.H.Roe,ECW and Park Royal :unamused: :unamused:
And they were major motorcoach and bus body manufacturers…All very poignant,again! :exclamation:

AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII,Strachans-Cabbed,Milk Tanker,R8x2 or R8x4 Lorry,RLW 602,London,1956,Express Dairy,1782.TNUK,OTL,AEC,53.11-2021.4#

.AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII,Strachans-Cabbed,Milk Tanker,R8x2 or R8x4 Lorry,RLW 602,London,1956,Express Dairy,1782.TNUK,OTL,AEC,53.11-2021.4#.jpg

VALKYRIE

This has probably been posted before but it’s worth a re-boot: AEC Marshall at 20 tons climbing a hill

youtube.com/watch?v=fM7D3lFnnIY

ParkRoyal2100:
This has probably been posted before but it’s worth a re-boot: AEC Marshall at 20 tons climbing a hill

That hill looks quite steep PR , i’m guessing that would be an AV 505 , it’s puzzling why they fitted the AV760 into the Marshall Major then downrated it. The extra power would have transformed it. They did the same thing with the AH760 in the Reliance just when the Volvo coaches were arriving with higher powered engines. Great video all the same thanks for sharing

ramone:

ParkRoyal2100:

That hill looks quite steep PR , i’m guessing that would be an AV 505 , it’s puzzling why they fitted the AV760 into the Marshall Major then downrated it. The extra power would have transformed it. They did the same thing with the AH760 in the Reliance just when the Volvo coaches were arriving with higher powered engines. Great video all the same thanks for sharing

You’re right, it is a 505 so no wonder he had to go all the way down the box. I don’t know why AEC/ Leyland fitted lower-rated engines to buses but, as you say, when Volvo turned up with the B58 (and later the B10) it showed.

VALKYRIE:
TruckNetUK . Oldtime Lorries. AEC. Remembrance Day,Thursday,11th November,2021. VALKYRIE

EssexPete:

Coomsey:

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile: I hope that you are alright.

Well said EssexPete! :exclamation: :slight_smile: This photograph shows just how very popular AEC lorries were within the British Road Transport Industry! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
they were also very popular in export markets! :exclamation: :slight_smile: AEC motorcoaches and buses were also popular both in the United Kingdom and abroad of course :slight_smile:

…and to think the terrible and incompetent mis-management of the tragi-comic British Leyland criminally and tragically scrapped AEC…and Albion

…and Guy…and Thornycroft…and Bristol…and Daimler…and this mis-management eventually led to the phasing out of Scammell and even Leyland itself! :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused:

Which was all to the great advantage of foreign commercial vehicle manufactures such as Scania,Mercedes-Benz and Volvo… All very poignant.

AEC Mammoth Major Eight MkIII,Tin Front MkIII & MkV R8 Tanker Lorries of John Hudson-Samuel Williams,Thames Terminal,Dagenham Dock.TNUK,OTL,AEC,53.11-2021.3#

Chris Webb:

Coomsey:

This AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII Motor Tanker Lorry has a Strachans cab - Silver Roadways had some Strachans - cabbed AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII’s :slight_smile:

I think both the Express Dairy and Silver Roadways Strachan AEC’s had sliding doors…to quote the title of the famous Sliding Doors romantic film drama! :exclamation: :smiley:

Several of these AEC Strachans lorries ended up as fairground and circus vehicles.

Strachans’ origins date back to 1894 trading as Brown,became Brown & Hughes in 1895,became Brown,Hughes & Strachan in 1907 and eventually became Brown & Strachan,and became
well known for building bus and motorcoach bodies.It became Strachans (Acton) Ltd in 1929,was reformed in 1934 as Strachans (Successors) Ltd and continued to build motorcoach
and bus bodies until 1974.Another famous British motorcoach and bus body manufacturer long gone. British Leyland themselves closed a few down:C.H.Roe,ECW and Park Royal :unamused: :unamused:
And they were major motorcoach and bus body manufacturers…All very poignant,again! :exclamation:

AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front MkIII,Strachans-Cabbed,Milk Tanker,R8x2 or R8x4 Lorry,RLW 602,London,1956,Express Dairy,1782.TNUK,OTL,AEC,53.11-2021.4#

VALKYRIE

I’m ran dan doody fine V, long time no see. Thanks for the info

Just saw this on the internet, sorry if it’s been posted before. Nmp