aec

Chris Webb:

mat79:

Chris Webb:

mat79:
As said. John walkers of barnsley took Trowbridge on.
So I’m told. Trowbridge was owned by a consortium of which the owner of john walkers was one of said consortium.

When Trowbridge was struggling as a company the owner of John walkers (Jeff Buckle) took it on forming Walker Trowbridge.
Prob mid to late 70s

When he retired in mid 90s Truswell Haulage bought it and expanded in to their yard.

They used to advertise as Truswell walker trowbridge on stationary etc but dropped the walker Trowbridge tag a while ago.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Mat,I couldn’t remember when they were taken over. I do know that in 50s and 60s it was alledgedly the best general haulage driving job in Sheffield.

I only ever knew one original sheffield Trowbridge driver. He was finishing his working life of shunting in Tinsley wire for truswell. Prob 13 years ago now.
I know he wasn’t a happy bunny when walkers took over and didn’t rate it compared to the old job.
But having said that he never left either!
He saw walkers out in to truswell before retiring. All be it hiding away in TWIL shunting.

I knew a shunter in TWIL,he was a Geordie called Proud,he used to come into Red Lion pub Gleadless years ago.I wonder if he’s the same bloke you knew?
Not wanting to go off AEC topic but I hated going into TWIL to load,especially round back for netting.I went in one dinnertime to load for AEI Trafford Park and at 1700 I was told to pull out and go back next day as they were too busy loading trunks. I went back in,got loaded for about 1300 and over Woodhead to Trafford Park and was promptly told to take load back as wire was wrong guage. :grimacing:

No. Not a geordie. He were De Da
Called him Pete. Nice bloke. Been in there years when I first met him in 2000.
Sounds about right for TWIL.
For all the moaning they used to do they shed some tears when they finally shut it earlier this year and they saw what wages were in the real world [emoji1787]

I’m at Sandhutton airfield near Thirsk and i have just passed what looks like an AEC Matador parked opposite some bungalows it’s just the chassis but it could be someones new project , let’s hope so

AEC V8. Looks nice with the sleeper cab.

aec v8 paec.PNG

DEANB:

What sort of ten-speed was that, then? Constant-mesh, synchromesh, splitter, range etc? I’ll bet Gingerfold or Ramone or CAV can tell us! R

The V8 Mammoth Majors could have a ten speed constant mesh box 2VTG6R7A/B or a semi auto ten speed box 2VTG6R2A/B and the six speed constant mesh box 2VTG6R4A/B. Franky.

Both the ten speed boxes had a splitter section front located, all constant mesh five speed main box and synchro splitter on the manual and five speed direct acting epicyclic main box and splitter section on auto box, by the way!

Frankydobo:
The V8 Mammoth Majors could have a ten speed constant mesh box 2VTG6R7A/B or a semi auto ten speed box 2VTG6R2A/B and the six speed constant mesh box 2VTG6R4A/B. Franky.

So the 10-speed was presumably a splitter version of the old 5-speed box. Were these, like the 6-sp constant-mesh box, developed from the Thornycroft gearbox inherited by AEC when they took Thornycroft over in the late '40s? R

Possibly, although Gingerfold will likely know for sure as he would have researched this for his AEC booklets, he does say in the Mandator book that in 1969 two new boxes were available (new here because they were the Splitters) the ten speed manual constant mesh and the Leyland Pneumo-Cyclic semi auto box, the same as used in the Two Pedal Beavers. He does say the Ten speed manual was the old five speed with sixth overdrive replaced with an air operated splitter to then give overdrive to each of the five main ratios. I would think this box does have some link to the Thornycroft box albeit with some improvements over the years. Franky.

DEANB:

Indeed it does. Lorry ■■■■, that is.

DEANB:

Leyland name preferred by whom , probably the Leyland management

Frankydobo:
Possibly, although Gingerfold will likely know for sure as he would have researched this for his AEC booklets, he does say in the Mandator book that in 1969 two new boxes were available (new here because they were the Splitters) the ten speed manual constant mesh and the Leyland Pneumo-Cyclic semi auto box, the same as used in the Two Pedal Beavers. He does say the Ten speed manual was the old five speed with sixth overdrive replaced with an air operated splitter to then give overdrive to each of the five main ratios. I would think this box does have some link to the Thornycroft box albeit with some improvements over the years. Franky.

Yes it was the basic Thornycroft 'box. There were several versions of it over the years it was in production.

Duramin advert for AEC cabs from 1961.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

The De Lux lol version looks very similar to the Park Royal version but for a few subtle changes

ramone:

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

The De Lux lol version looks very similar to the Park Royal version but for a few subtle changes

The cab that grabbed my attention was “The Safari cab” especially the bit “doors are optional extras” :unamused:

Safari = lions ? I would want doors ! :laughing:

DEANB:

ramone:

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

The cab that grabbed my attention was “The Safari cab” especially the bit “doors are optional extras” :unamused:

Safari = lions ? I would want doors ! :laughing:

Me too and a gun :wink:

AEC Monarch Mark II from 1934 or 1935 for The Central Portland Cement Company Limited, Kirton Lindsey, Lincolnshire. A very nicely finished lorry photographed in the familiar setting used by Oswald Tillotson at Burnley. The sump of the engine tells me that it’s an AEC 4-cylinder Diesel, known as a “thumper”. who can spot what is missing?

gingerfold:
AEC Monarch Mark II from 1934 or 1935 for The Central Portland Cement Company Limited, Kirton Lindsey, Lincolnshire. A very nicely finished lorry photographed in the familiar setting used by Oswald Tillotson at Burnley. The sump of the engine tells me that it’s an AEC 4-cylinder Diesel, known as a “thumper”. who can spot what is missing?

No n/s mirror [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apart from the starting handle missing (and what is that other hole in the radiator for?) didn’t some had an autovac or similar on the nearside cab. Maybe that was only the petrol versions though?

Pete.

It probably wouldn’t have had a wiper o the passenger side but would it have had only half a side window?

cav551:
It probably wouldn’t have had a wiper o the passenger side but would it have had only half a side window?

Air conditioning, (or climate control as it is termed these days), 1930’s style. :confused: