aec

Carryfast:

Lawrence Dunbar:
If you wore rubber gloves you were termed as a whimp in those days, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Rubber gloves are for fuelling up to stop getting dermatitis from the evil bleedin diesel on your hands.Leather welding or gardening type gloves are what you use for roping.Rubber gloves just make your hands sweat causing the gloves to slide against the skin and the skin soft and soggy making matters even worse.

You infuriating ■■■■ “CF” !! But I’ll tell you summat Pal I bet there would be 10 or a dozen Lads on TN who would line up and all would have a set of rubber Gauntlet gloves on to give you a right ■■■■■■■ good “internal” inspection !1 “Where’s the gloves?” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Carryfast:

lespullan:
You are an absolute [zb] idiot, and I never mentioned that load on the wagon and drag, that’s roadworthy with longbinds, ratchets and cross ropes

Before you go crying to the mods like a girl why not just tell us why that load isn’t sheeted ?.The previous example was supposedly because it was only being shunted across the yard.Yeah right.So now are you saying that the sheets are only meant to keep it dry depending on the weather conditions not to secure it ?.Or not ?.

Obviously “CF” you are totally unable to grasp even the basic rudimentaries of S & R just supposing for a Nano second that you ever could, which I very much doubt ! But just to reiterate for your minimal grasp on the craft it was combination of both Sheets and Ropes that both helped to keep the load on the motor and also keep the load dry at the same time. And as for that load of wool sheets/bales well I wouldn’t have hesitated to have set off North to Bradford as it is perfect ! safe as houses unless , of course, a ■■■■ like you was at the wheel then it would have been “the first roundabout” but then again a Pencil Necker like you couldn’t drive a proper motor ! Cheers Bewick.

Disclaimer:- I only ever did wool once (i was a tanker man), but I watched and learned from the Bradford wool men.

The load on Hansons MM and drawbar was as solid (AND SAFE) as a rock, it would have travelled anywhere without a problem. Note the ‘woods’ down the length of the load on the first layer (there would be other woods higher up)AND wool bales were held together by sturdy steel hooks, they were about 1 ft.long with a 90 degree bend (sharpened point) at each end, get the ropes on right and it was all just like a solid lump of wool bales. Even I could have got the AEC to Bradford safely and the load wouldn’t have moved an inch.
Whoever loaded the AEC was a skilled man. Top marks.

2 nice A E C photos from Graham Newell showing the load being secured by the sheets with the ropes pulling the sheet tight onto the load, :wink: Les.

10142455724_fa44011517_c.jpg

6887077604_6f62bb5d86_c.jpg

CD5nGqQEGkKGrHqUOKm4Ez7W1e0MtBNQHL-wz2w_12.jpg
An ode gal doing what she was built for !
Was the picture taken bottom of Archway heading north ? Cheers Coomsey

Looks like Archway Road Paul. Trowbridge were Sheffield base I think?

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Yes Pete,taken off Sheffield site. Thought Archway but wasn’t sure, a well used route for me. It was a buga going up loaded with the DB6 n taken with care coming down. I’m thinking I used to go to a scrapyard Muswell Hill way n needed crawler back up the hill, but could be dreaming, was it a steep un? Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Yes Pete,taken off Sheffield site. Thought Archway but wasn’t sure, a well used route for me. It was a buga going up loaded with the DB6 n taken with care coming down. I’m thinking I used to go to a scrapyard Muswell Hill way n needed crawler back up the hill, but could be dreaming, was it a steep un? Cheers Coomsey

Trowbridge Transport was one of the biggest transport companies in Sheffield,they belonged to Lodestar Engineering who were AEC agents in the city.They did a lot of work for Tinsley Wire Industries,Thornhill Poultry at Great Longstone Derbyshire and Bassetts sweets and ran several trunks to London.They also supplied the Yorkshire markets with fruit and veg out of the Smoke and when I was on nights running back to Sheffield market from an Abbey Wood S.E. trailer change in late 60s, their AEC tilt cab Mercurys would cruise past me even when our Mercurys were capable of 65 mph.They were certainly highly tuned wagons,I suppose being owned by an AEC dealer helped.Not my photo attached…………

Chris Webb:

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Trowbridge Transport was one of the biggest transport companies in Sheffield,they belonged to Lodestar Engineering who were AEC agents in the city.They did a lot of work for Tinsley Wire Industries,Thornhill Poultry at Great Longstone Derbyshire and Bassetts sweets and ran several trunks to London.They also supplied the Yorkshire markets with fruit and veg out of the Smoke and when I was on nights running back to Sheffield market from an Abbey Wood S.E. trailer change in late 60s, their AEC tilt cab Mercurys would cruise past me even when our Mercurys were capable of 65 mph.They were certainly highly tuned wagons,I suppose being owned by an AEC dealer helped.Not my photo attached…………

What happened to them Chris did they get bought out?

Chris Webb:
Pete.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well, I’ll take it Chris but I’m not too keen on the 4-in-line. :smiley:
I’ll bet the reg.no. is worth a shilling or two today.

grumpy old man:

Chris Webb:
Pete.

[/quote]
Well, I’ll take it Chris but I’m not too keen on the 4-in-line. :smiley:
I’ll bet the reg.no. is worth a shilling or two today.
[/quote]
Aye,she’s a 1960 Sheffield reg and doesn’t do itself justice with a 4-in-line ont back. :smiley:

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Archway was steep but not crawler steep, my old 5 pot Atki would go up in 3rd and low axle with the occassional drop into 2nd low if baulked… but not much baulked a 5 pot! Highgate hill, which ran parallel was a different matter though that would have meant crawler. Sometimes a particularly pathetic RM bus would need the passengers to get off.

cav551:

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Archway was steep but not crawler steep, my old 5 pot Atki would go up in 3rd and low axle with the occassional drop into 2nd low if baulked… but not much baulked a 5 pot! Highgate hill, which ran parallel was a different matter though that would have meant crawler. Sometimes a particularly pathetic RM bus would need the passengers to get off.

It’s my writing that’s ■■■■ eyed Cav, I meant Muswell Hill ! Only used Highgate hill when the Archway was queered up,n strangely only happened when I was empty. Cheers Coomsey

ramone:

Chris Webb:

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

What happened to them Chris did they get bought out?

Ramone.
They finished up as Walker - Trowbridge with a depot at Dodworth Barnsley. Not sure if they are still going though.

Ah yes i remember them now Chris not seen non for a while though

Walker Trowbridge
Company dissolved, May 2018

As said. John walkers of barnsley took Trowbridge on.
So I’m told. Trowbridge was owned by a consortium of which the owner of john walkers was one of said consortium.

When Trowbridge was struggling as a company the owner of John walkers (Jeff Buckle) took it on forming Walker Trowbridge.
Prob mid to late 70s

When he retired in mid 90s Truswell Haulage bought it and expanded in to their yard.

They used to advertise as Truswell walker trowbridge on stationary etc but dropped the walker Trowbridge tag a while ago.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mat79:
So I’m told. Trowbridge was owned by a consortium of which the owner of john walkers was one of said consortium.

When Trowbridge was struggling as a company the owner of John walkers (Jeff Buckle) took it on forming Walker Trowbridge.
Prob mid to late 70s

When he retired in mid 90s Truswell Haulage bought it and expanded in to their yard.

They used to advertise as Truswell walker trowbridge on stationary etc but dropped the walker Trowbridge tag a while ago.

Thanks for that Mat,I couldn’t remember when they were taken over. I do know that in 50s and 60s it was alledgedly the best general haulage driving job in Sheffield.

Chris Webb:

mat79:

Prob mid to late 70s

Thanks for that Mat,I couldn’t remember when they were taken over. I do know that in 50s and 60s it was alledgedly the best general haulage driving job in Sheffield.

I only ever knew one original sheffield Trowbridge driver. He was finishing his working life of shunting in Tinsley wire for truswell. Prob 13 years ago now.
I know he wasn’t a happy bunny when walkers took over and didn’t rate it compared to the old job.
But having said that he never left either!
He saw walkers out in to truswell before retiring. All be it hiding away in TWIL shunting.

mat79:

Chris Webb:

mat79:

Prob mid to late 70s

I only ever knew one original sheffield Trowbridge driver. He was finishing his working life of shunting in Tinsley wire for truswell. Prob 13 years ago now.
I know he wasn’t a happy bunny when walkers took over and didn’t rate it compared to the old job.
But having said that he never left either!
He saw walkers out in to truswell before retiring. All be it hiding away in TWIL shunting.

I knew a shunter in TWIL,he was a Geordie called Proud,he used to come into Red Lion pub Gleadless years ago.I wonder if he’s the same bloke you knew?
Not wanting to go off AEC topic but I hated going into TWIL to load,especially round back for netting.I went in one dinnertime to load for AEI Trafford Park and at 1700 I was told to pull out and go back next day as they were too busy loading trunks. I went back in,got loaded for about 1300 and over Woodhead to Trafford Park and was promptly told to take load back as wire was wrong guage. :grimacing: