AEC MAMOTH MAJOR resto project

Hi all just seen this ad on Northwest agricultural and plant sell and seek on FB and thought I would pass on as someone may be Interested in an easy restoration project.
AEC Mammoth Major which is in Motherwell, North Lanarkshire asking £6500 which does not seem a great deal of money but I am no expert, says it only need’s a body and a paint job and looks a lot better than most people restore, hope this may be some ones dream motor and would be great to see her back on the road, there are five pictures on the advert here are three to give you an idea of the condition, speak to Gavin Bell & let me know if you take it on, cheers Buzzer.

Looks in great condition, I’ve forwarded this thread to a truck restorer I know, it may be too far away for him (he’s in east Kent) but as you say it would be good to see her back on the road.

Harry Monk:
Looks in great condition, I’ve forwarded this thread to a truck restorer I know, it may be too far away for him (he’s in east Kent) but as you say it would be good to see her back on the road.

y
Harry it looks like you could almost fire her up and drive her there and she’s got mudguards on, you could do it for your mate, Buzzer.

Taken at the AEC centenary rally Newark, May 2012

Bernard

Yes, that’s the one that was first restored by a group of friends in Northern Ireland, I would estimate 20 years since it first appeared on the rally scene.

I think it first appeared over here in 1998 at the AEC Rally at Wollaton Hall. If I remember what I read on the plaque on the front of the body, it was restored by a group of people at a college in Northern Ireland.

albion1938:
Bernard

Would that be a South Wales Reg No ? or was it maybe an ex Shell tanker chassis ? Bewick.

Bewick:

albion1938:
Bernard

Would that be a South Wales Reg No ? or was it maybe an ex Shell tanker chassis ? Bewick.

GX Dennis London (South East) according to my list

Stanfield:

Bewick:

albion1938:
Bernard

GX Dennis London (South East) according to my list

Thanks for that John, so it may have been an ex tanker then ! Cheers Dennis.

The fuel tank position on the offside chassis suggests that it was originally a tanker chassis. Tank outlet valves were usually on the nearside.

gingerfold:
The fuel tank position on the offside chassis suggests that it was originally a tanker chassis. Tank outlet valves were usually on the nearside.

Most of adams butter AECs had the tank on the off side also a scammell i drove and 2 leyands at richardsons had the tank on the off side… it makes sense you don’t
want the weight of 80 gallons in the gutter. i had a roadtrain that had the tank on the off side…

3300John:

gingerfold:

Most of adams butter AECs had the tank on the off side also a scammell i drove and 2 leyands at richardsons had the tank on the off side… it makes sense you don’t
want the weight of 80 gallons in the gutter. i had a roadtrain that had the tank on the off side…

Our Paccar built Fodens and our Sed Ak 400’s had the tank on the offside as well, probably lots of trucks did but I have never given it any thought until now! :wink:

Pete.

A buyer could actually specify all AEC models with the tank on the offside chassis rail if that was what the buyer chose, but the “standard” position was on the nearside chassis rail, as it is with the DAFs we operate today. In pre-Leyland ownership AEC was quite amenable to purchaser’s individual specification requests.

I must have drove 20 ish motors all british all tanks on nearside

gingerfold:
A buyer could actually specify all AEC models with the tank on the offside chassis rail if that was what the buyer chose, but the “standard” position was on the nearside chassis rail, as it is with the DAFs we operate today. In pre-Leyland ownership AEC was quite amenable to purchaser’s individual specification requests.

I may be showing my age “GF” but old fashioned convention as I recall was you were better with the tank on the O/S to offset the lean into the N/S of the road, if that makes sense ! Cheers Dennis.

Back in the day Dennis, when bosses expected a “good load” on a lorry, I don’t think that the weight of 60 gallons of diesel made that much difference no matter where the tank was located. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I wonder how many on here remember the old Mammoth petrol unit with the auto vac in the cab on the passenger side. Mack’s Hauliers of Silvertown ran a few of them up to BRS taking over.

Crikey, auto vac- there’s a thing from the past if ever I heard one!

gingerfold:
Back in the day Dennis, when bosses expected a “good load” on a lorry, I don’t think that the weight of 60 gallons of diesel made that much difference no matter where the tank was located. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi “GF” I wasn’t referring to “overloading” it was the perceived wisdom at the time of carrying more of the weight to the crown of the road, instead of accentuating the weight to the lower side of the road, if my explanation makes sense !! Cheers Dennis.