Aec mammoth major video

G’day fellas,

I’ve seen a lot of great AEC MM photos on here of late and a lot of talk about AEC 760 motors on Bubblemans thread so I thought these might be of interest.

I took the in-cab video this 'arvo. Big thanks to my mate Vic Draper for his driving skills. My ears are still ringing!

In the other clip you can see what it looks like.

She’s a '67 Mammoth Major with a 760 and 13 speed Road Ranger.

LB76 mate,hope this brings back some memories for you,thanks for you great Fridgid Freight AEC photos.

youtube.com/watch?v=U3p4niBtv48

youtube.com/watch?v=MlkH-ccFUYQ

Here’s one I used to drive as late as the 1980s - it’s now been preserved, I used to call it the silver slug because of the way it climbed Windy Hill loaded!

i would love to have been there jamie, you lucky b******

stevecook:
Here’s one I used to drive as late as the 1980s - it’s now been preserved, I used to call it the silver slug because of the way it climbed Windy Hill loaded!

Hi Steve Do you remember Roy Bibby who worked at Longley?(I may have asked you this before,sorry if I have)

Stanfield:

stevecook:

Hi Steve Do you remember Roy Bibby who worked at Longley?(I may have asked you this before,sorry if I have)

Hi Stanfield - sent you a PM

i remember seeing that many times on the M62

NZ JAMIE:
G’day fellas,

I’ve seen a lot of great AEC MM photos on here of late and a lot of talk about AEC 760 motors on Bubblemans thread so I thought these might be of interest.

I took the in-cab video this 'arvo. Big thanks to my mate Vic Draper for his driving skills. My ears are still ringing!

In the other clip you can see what it looks like.

LB76 mate,hope this brings back some memories for you,thanks for you great Fridgid Freight AEC photos.

youtube.com/watch?v=U3p4niBtv48
Great videos brought back memories of the 68` Mandator my dad had but with only 6 gears

youtube.com/watch?v=MlkH-ccFUYQ

LB76:
i would love to have been there jamie, you lucky b******

Did that bring some good or bad memories back to you LB76?

Mostly good i cant think of a bad time either with Wyatt’s or the Mammoth Major

ramone:
i remember seeing that many times on the M62

I went in the garage with it one day and asked for bigger mirrors fitting and when they asked why I said “so I can see all of the tailback behind me”.
Having said that it was enjoyable and satisfying to drive on ordinary roads but it wasn’t designed for motorway work.

LB76:
Mostly good i cant think of a bad time either with Wyatt’s or the Mammoth Major

Just reading Steves comments about “the slug” going up windy hill how did the AECs you drove perform going over the Blanc with a trailer on,my dad had a 59 Mammoth Major and drag with a 9.6 and 5 speed box 38mph flat out no doubt yours would have been 11.3s with 6 speed boxes and later AV760s with the weight you carried and the distances you went

NZ JAMIE:
G’day fellas,

I’ve seen a lot of great AEC MM photos on here of late and a lot of talk about AEC 760 motors on
Bubblemans thread so I thought these might be of interest.
Hiya NZ JAMIE…was the fuller gearbox a standard fitting on export vehicals or a optional extra
or did you southern hemisphere lads doctor them
cheers John

G’day fellas,

Glad to hear that it bought back some good memories.

Pretty sure all MM’s out here were fitted new with 13 speed fullers,but some may have had the AEC 5 speed with a splitter,giving them 10. I think these were ‘two stick’ boxes? Anyone confirm.
All the MM’s here would have worked hard for a quid and would have pulled a trailer,probably running at around 40 tonne. At those weights it’s far more practical to have the multi range Fuller than an AEC 6 speed or possably a 10 speed.

It’s still a faily long way between cogs with a Road Ranger when loaded,I spoke to a bloke recently who used to drive MM’s with a three axle trailer on fridge work,they were renowned for running heavy . He said to me 'You didn’t get into top gear much and when you did it wasn’t for long!"

I can’t imagine how far between shifts it would have been for you LB76 mate with a six speed box in those Fridged Freight MM’s.

Also the beauty of the Fuller is quick changes when needed as apposed to the very slow shift with an AEC box,plus and such a bonus is being able to change up with a Fuller when still climbing,near impossable with a 6 speed with out making nasty noises.

The same bloke also has a Marshal with an AV 505 and six speed,another great truck to drive. I do really like the six speed,just a shame you can’t change up a bit quicker.

John3300 mate, I belive you are a mate of Neil James’? He’s a good bugger,I met him down here last year when he came over,we got on well and spent many an hour dribbling on about Ergos.

Love the silver slug Steve,very nice mate.

NZ JAMIE:
G’day fellas,

Glad to hear that it bought back some good memories.

Pretty sure all MM’s out here were fitted new with 13 speed fullers,but some may have had the AEC 5 speed with a splitter,giving them 10. I think these were ‘two stick’ boxes? Anyone confirm.
All the MM’s here would have worked hard for a quid and would have pulled a trailer,probably running at around 40 tonne. At those weights it’s far more practical to have the multi range Fuller than an AEC 6 speed or possably a 10 speed.

It’s still a faily long way between cogs with a Road Ranger when loaded,I spoke to a bloke recently who used to drive MM’s with a three axle trailer on fridge work,they were renowned for running heavy . He said to me 'You didn’t get into top gear much and when you did it wasn’t for long!"

I can’t imagine how far between shifts it would have been for you LB76 mate with a six speed box in those Fridged Freight MM’s.

Also the beauty of the Fuller is quick changes when needed as apposed to the very slow shift with an AEC box,plus and such a bonus is being able to change up with a Fuller when still climbing,near impossable with a 6 speed with out making nasty noises.

The same bloke also has a Marshal with an AV 505 and six speed,another great truck to drive. I do really like the six speed,just a shame you can’t change up a bit quicker.

John3300 mate, I belive you are a mate of Neil James’? He’s a good bugger,I met him down here last year when he came over,we got on well and spent many an hour dribbling on about Ergos.

Love the silver slug Steve,very nice mate.

Hiya …yes neil is getting a pair of high speed diffs for my 1964 mm6.

Would that be the same 13 speed gearbox they put in the Turbostars 8 over 4 where the splitter only worked in top box with a blip of the accelerator?

I have got the build sheet from AEC’s for both my old MKV 6 wheeler and the Tiltcab 8 wheeler will put them up soon as time permits if anyone is interested

Did’nt Nelstrops Flour from Stockport operate one of these into the late 80’s or early 90’s as well. Around 2003 or 04 there was one at the AEC rally at Newark still working on logging duties,maybe from Herefordshire.

Bit more of an update on the old girl.

For those who didn’t know this truck has been fitted with a fifteen ton capacity crane weighing thirteen ton. Well this has just been removed over the weekend and is now on it’s way to Fiji to spend the rest of it’s days.

He’s another quick vid of its first run with out it,she’s got a bit more go in her now!

youtube.com/watch?v=J99h-6mN-UE

Cheers Jamie