Advise on reversing a rigid

Hi all, i am a newbie who past the cat C test 2 days ago and am after any advise on reversing a rigid lorry. The lorry in question is about 33’ long with a steering rear axle.

Can anyone tell me how to judge how far away i am from something when reversing up to something, like a loading bay etc. I was wondering if there is a way by looking at one of the straps on the curtain in the mirror.

Also when pulling out of say a gate way onto a road, knowing when the back end has cleared before i can turn to avoid the tail swing hitting anything.

Thanks in advance
Chris

ren182:
am after any advise on reversing a rigid lorry.

Aren’t we all. :unamused: Especially those of us that drive artics most of the time and then, get into a rigid and find that the bloody thing steers the wrong way. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Reversing. Use hazards. In the dark, they generate a ‘pool’ of light on the ground which gives you a rough idea where the rear is. Reversing up to bays, again hazards, they will start reflecting off the bay a foot or so before you touch it, even in daylight. Learn to judge how long your vehicle is in comparison to an artic parked on an adjoining bay. :wink:

Overhang. Apply steering slowly and gradually taking the widest arc. It shouldn’t be a problem in reality. If you can, spend some time watching bus drivers turning corners near where you live. You will soon realise that the dangers are relatively small.

ren182:
Can anyone tell me how to judge how far away i am from something when reversing up to something, like a loading bay etc. I was wondering if there is a way by looking at one of the straps on the curtain in the mirror.

If you’re in doubt how much clearance you have, get out and look. That’s always valid rule, and much easier than trying to judge from mirrors. When your experience grow up you learn roughly to judge how close things appear in mirror, but easiest and most accurate way in many cases to put head out of door just to be sure.

Also when pulling out of say a gate way onto a road, knowing when the back end has cleared before i can turn to avoid the tail swing hitting anything.

Another thing which will soon came from experience, but if you roughly know or see in mirrors where your drive axle goes it’s quite safe to began steering after drive axle has passed the gate. This question is also such where it’s hard to give any definite answer, and I don’t even try as my English grammatic nor vocabulary aren’t good enough to form any easily understood version of what I’m thinking :smiley: I’d suggest that you use more space than you’d think truck needs. You soon get more experience and before you even notice you are using such amount of space you need, not space sufficient for an artic :wink:

Generally when reversing, no matter if it’s artic, rigid or even just a car :smiley:, use all the space available and head for the easiest bay if you have an opportunity. If taking enough space means blocking road just do it. If other road users don’t like it it’s generally their problem, not yours. I also repeat that if you’re in doubt, get out and look. It’s much lesser nuisance than hassle after hitting something.

Edit: And it seems Krankee has beaten me, except it’s those bloody artics which turn wrong way :wink:

I second Kyrbo…getting out and having a look sometimes is most important.

Basically I’d say if you aren’t 100% sure you won’t hit something, then don’t try it until you are sure, get assistance if you can…somebody to watch you back or watch you out of a narrow gate.

Delivering on the Norfolk Broads, I’ve got my 18 tonner down domestic driveways with narrow gates, off single track roads with ditches the other side and out again so I can crane stuff where the customer wants it. But I almost always need assistance or I have to get out and look several times. The worst is when there are willow trees covering the mirrors!

Don’t ever chance anything.

Thanks for all your replies, which i have taken on board, obviouslly with me been new to this game i am taking it steady and been extra causcious, luckily at the moment the boss is allowing one of the other drivers to come out with me to give advise where needed which is reasuring as well.

Thanks Again

again, getting out and having a quick eyeball is the best way to avoid damage however, there are other things you can use to check when things are a little less tight.
shadows
reflections
rear axle
marks on the road (when im backing the trailer onto the bay at base, there is a mark on the surface. when the centre of the steering axle is level, i am appox 3 inches from the bay which is enough for the dock leveller to cross)

it will come with experience and if you visit sites regularly, you will notice things to line up with. a lot of drivers dont like getting out and having a look when other drivers are around. sod them, you dont want to damage anything so dont be afraid to get out of the cab and check you clearance whether its at the back or front. reputation is everything is this game. when you start denting things, it will come back and damage your income so do what you have to do to get your truck in and out safely

with the rear steer; if you can see the back wheels by looking out of the window rather than the mirror; then look to see where the wheels are pointing rather than the angle of the lorry and imagine where you would go if you keep a steady trajectory. It takes a bit of practice, but see where you are, and where you want to go, then overlay that in your minds eye with your guestimate according to the angle og the back wheels and adjust the steering accordingly. easy! ps you wont need to steer as much as with a non rear steer :wink:

If you can get your copilot to advise and help you rather than have him view it as a couple of easy days sitting on his arse then you will get a massive boost. It’s experience and confidence that you need and every day it should get a little bit easier.

It’s a really nice feeling when you nail a manouevre perfectly.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, there’s plenty of ‘experts’ itching to help.

Beware of people who try to help you by making circular motions with their arms to look like steering.

When they are being viewed from 7 odd metres away in a convex mirror I have trouble working out which way they think I should steer!