Advise on insecure load

Looking for some knowledge on skip wagons.
When doubling up with loaded skips are they classed as insecure?
Would a ratchet be acceptable?
Got stopped today by eager copper and going to be possibly charged with “Danger of injury due to position of load.”
Top skip was about 1/3 in bottom skip and total weight 12 tons.Both arms were in bottom position.
Anyone had the same experience…what was the outcome?

When i was on skips it was illegal to run doubled up, but we used to sheet the top one so the sheet covered both skips, but still ran the risk, would only do it if the top one was quite a way into the lower one, it looks like your gonna be prosecuted though, sign of the times…good luck.

Thanks…with any luck they will send me on one of their driver awareness courses…
Going to please the boss when we dont double up any more…hes still saying its ok.

It’s the potential voids in the bottom skip that they are worried about. Regardless of how safe it actually was, it couldn’t have looked great or they probably would have left you alone. Good luck with whatever happens.

i would imagine its illegal as there not designed to carry 2 loaded skips

Depends on the security just like any other loaded vehicle. It does not say anywhere that two skips is illegal, but if it looks dangerous it probably is. Does your skip waggon have a fixed bar holding top skip in?

I did skips for many years, when did it become illegal to run doubled up?

No it doesnt have a fixed bar…the top skip was about 1/3 into the bottom one…the skips were level and total height of the skips was lower than the lifting arms at rest. Another skip firm were in front of me for the same offence and they did have a chain between the lifting arms holding the top skip down. He also was advised he will be charged same as me.

whatever next " danger of injury due to position of load " , what ■■■■■■■■ , how do the police and vosa , or whatever they are called now , get away with it ? . since when was a possibility grounds for a prosecution ? it’s just a try on , if it went to court with a decent brief on the case it wouldn’t stand up .

Where was this because it’s a daily occurrence in my neck of the woods?.

East Sussex…happens a lot round here too…

rigsby:
whatever next " danger of injury due to position of load " , what ■■■■■■■■ , how do the police and vosa , or whatever they are called now , get away with it ? . since when was a possibility grounds for a prosecution ? it’s just a try on , if it went to court with a decent brief on the case it wouldn’t stand up .

Love that answer, you could use the “if I have a Ferrari, would i be done on the danger of speeding even though I was only doing 30?”

Bloody ott load security these days, that’s why I’m keeping off general for a while, whilst it sorts itself out

It’s not illegal. Nor has it ever been. But stacked loaded skips is in the Type A “riskiest” category on the much fabled load matrix.

But what I would love to know is just how they would expect you to secure it. About 9 million ratchets carved from unobtanium no doubt…

Ok, maybe not Illegal as such, but many of the drivers at the time were prosecuted for having a dangerous load/overload as there is no way to secure the top skip, many drivers took the risk because we were paid by the skips we brought in.