Advise on crash gears and tippers please

Going to have a bit of a change and do some carting work, from feilds to grain store of crops over summer.

The lorry is an old ERF year 1980, rigid tipper. is got a crash box,

What are crash gears? the guy thinks its 4 gears, are they like slap over? how do you use them.

Also any advice for tipper work at all?

Its very unlikely that an 1980 motor would have crash gears.

A ‘crash’ gear box means that the gears are not synchromeshed so you cannot take it out of one gear and put it into another with just one dip of the clutch.

Double-de-clutching is usually used for smooth gear changing which means dip clutch, take out of gear, dip clutch again, put into gear.

When downchanging the gears the revs have to be right so the gear will engage

Others will probably have a better explanation :slight_smile:

just make sure your on soild level ground when u tip and u cant go wrong :smiley:

I’m actually quite jealous! I’d love a go in a 30 year old truck!

alamcculloch:

I agree, I drove ERFs in the early/mid 70s that had synced gears so I wouldn’t have thought you’d find a 1980 ERF with a crash box.

its a ERF series, the one with ERF in big letters on the front grill in the middle. before they got moved to the side. so maye it be proper gears

Robin_A:
its a ERF series, the one with ERF in big letters on the front grill in the middle. before they got moved to the side. so maye it be proper gears

just do what i would do have a good feel of the stick and your bound to find some gears you like LOL :smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

If the worst comes to the worst, see what tunes you can get out of it. :wink:

tachograph:

alamcculloch:

I agree, I drove ERFs in the early/mid 70s that had synced gears so I wouldn’t have thought you’d find a 1980 ERF with a crash box.

There are plenty of wagons newer than 1980 that didn’t have synchro gearboxes. Lots of much newer Fodens, for example. I have driven an N registered (so mid 1990s) Foden rigid that had a crash box. I think I’m also right in saying that the Eaton Twin Split that was in many ERFs and also some DAFs right up to the late 1990s is a crash box.

Paul

repton:

tachograph:

alamcculloch:

There are plenty of wagons newer than 1980 that didn’t have synchro gearboxes. Lots of much newer Fodens, for example. I have driven an N registered (so mid 1990s) Foden rigid that had a crash box. I think I’m also right in saying that the Eaton Twin Split that was in many ERFs and also some DAFs right up to the late 1990s is a crash box.

Paul

very true mate i drove a f reg foden in 2001 with a crash box,the tunes i cud make that play,bearing in mind i’d just passed test in a 6 speed cargo!happy days

ROG:

I thought you were a driving instructor?? You should be able to explain far better than that.

xjrv8:

ROG:

I thought you were a driving instructor?? You should be able to explain far better than that.

And what if I have never driven an old crash box ? - would it be good to guess or let those that have driven them explain ■■

There are lots of auto types that I’ve not driven either

ROG is right
to change up
1.clutch in
2.out of gear into nuetral
3.clutch in
4. into next gear

to change down
1.clutch in
2.knock it out of gear
3.clutch in and blip the throtle to raise the revs to approximately the same as they will be when you are in the lower gear
4.into lower gear

when you get used to it you can pretty much do all this without the clutch… :smiley:
i used to drive an ERF ,Iveco and Foden all of which drove like this and i loved it

sneakyscotsman:
when you get used to it you can pretty much do all this without the clutch… :smiley:

Very handy to know how to do that when the clutch goes on a synchromesh box !!

lol yeah it works in diesel cars too but not very well in petrol ones for some reason

Does work in petrols, I can do it in my astra 1.6 no problem! The slave cylinder went on one of the work vans about 4 or 5 mile from the garageso I drove it there without the clutch. Only slight hitch is when you have to stop and then move off again :laughing:

Is a crash box the same as an 12 speed eaton twin split you get in the older daf and fodens old and new ive not had a go in one of them can some one explain the shift pattern and how u :smiley: use them compared to a zf 16 speed :smiley: