ADVICE WANTED

Hi Guys
I could greatly do with some of your hard earned advice. I am thinking of
returning back to europe from canada, been here for 5 years and we feel we
need a little bit more warm as we aproach our retirement years…lol…its a hard choice as I would be leaving my daughters and 8 grand kiddies. I am
54 and been driving for about 35-36 years, from uk i have covered
germany,where i lived for 4 years as well, denmark,holland and sweden.
I have a few friends around san javier,and alicante way and was looking
around there, i do have some addresses and locations of companies that run
fridges to mainland england etc;they are around murcia,librilla,alicante, and was
wondering if there would be a chance of getting on some thing like this. I
am used to working away for 2-3 weeks at a time and of course being out
here week-ends are part of my schedule. i was also thinking along the lines
of staying in england and sort of swapping trailers at a port then with me
running on in land tip and reload back to docks.
of course out here its normal to be able to run 1300 kms a day because i
can run at 110-120-130 kph and the roads are open unless in cities, also
run at 63500 kgs with 2 trailers and 8- axles.
I dont want any billy big rig replies :exclamation: if u know what i mean,just honest how it is right now and what u guys out there think it will be like in a year or so because as we know countries situations change.
Thanks for your time guys,stay safe. :sunglasses:
Nigel

weel for an honest answer here goes,
if you’re thinking of moving to the areas mentioned in spain and drive a fridge you need to be able to speak Romanian or Bulgarian and be prepared to earn 1200 euros for living in the truck a month at a time :imp:
unfortunately since the opening of the EU many people have taken advantage of the cheaper options from the east therefore the unemployment level in spain is now at 20% :open_mouth:
as for trailer changes at the port its not really a done thing in spain, i had one trailer from october 2007 until christmas just gone without ever dropping it. most outfits in spain do service and ITV(MOT) all together as the trailers have their own registration documents and its easier to keep them with the truck papers rather than change them every week.
the UK might be a better bet but there’s plenty on here looking for work, even thinking of joining you in canadia :laughing:

thats what i wanted to hear…some old ex army buds live there but are fully retired…and the wifes friends sister lives out there…all said about the same. i been reading and watching things here and another ex pat forum so this just really sets things right…thanks for the time and effort replying…looks like i shall have to change plans and buy a little country business we like out here.
thanks for ur time…safe runs to u.

Hi Nigel,

An honest answer is, Don’t do it !! Stay in Canada, it may be cold, but at least you have a job and your family are with you.

Is it possible to move to the States !!

I think that you would find it hard in the Uk and Europe, or come over yourself for a few weeks and find out, that way you know, and as regards to one year on from now, well, I think things will be worse.

So, all the best and I hope you sort things out,

Regards

JJSL

Hi Anotherbritincanada.Not wishing to sound rude,but i fail to comprehend why,after all the hard work involved in changing your life completley and moving to Canada,you would be contemplating moving back to Europe.You are settled,seem happy,whats to come back for.You will not find,in most of Europe,the '‘quality of life’'that you have in Canada.
Ilived for some time in Quebec as my wife was Quebecois,and it was only after my wife died that i returned to live in Europe.This,i feel in retrospect,was a mistake.Ishould have stayed there.
I tried to re adjust to working all over Europe but it’s getting more and more depressing.As soon as you step into a truck you feel like a criminal,like everyones just waiting to pounce on you on the road.
Itried it but eventually decided to move right up above the Arctic Circle to live as it’s the nearest in lifestyle to Canada and the people are so similar.
Don’t come back,take extra holidays.If you have problems with the cold move to B.C.Canada is big enough to find a warm spot.You have everything in Canada that you need or want to make growing old a pleasure.
Take care.Mike

You want your bumps felt just for thinking about coming back here!