Advice wanted

So got my class 2 and cpc’s a couple of weeks ago, finish my current job in nursing next week and am now desperate for driving work. I’ve signed up with a couple of local agencies but they have said with no experience I will probably only get van work at 1st. That’s fine if there is nothing else but not really why I paid all that money for the licence.

So my plan is to start knocking on doors and leaving cv’s to try and get a lucky break.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a better time of day to drop in on companies when they haven’t as much work on and may be happier to chat?

2. Who should I be asking to chat to? I’m assuming transport manager but not too sure

3. Is there anything I should drop into conversation to help my chances?

Really grateful for any advice :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you give the approximate location where you’re looking for work someone may be able to give a pointer or two as to the best places to try.

I’m in hull area but happy to travel to Grimsby, Bridlington, York, etc.

StanleyP123:

1. Is there a better time of day to drop in on companies when they haven’t as much work on and may be happier to chat?

Start of morning shifts especially on Mondays

Have all your work gear in the boot

ROG:

StanleyP123:

Start of morning shifts especially on Mondays

Have all your work gear in the boot

That’s always worth a punt, someone doesn’t turn in and they are desperate.

The downside is that if everyone has turned in, then it can be a busy time and they haven’t the time to talk to you. We’re busiest between 7-10 and 15.30 onwards. Middle of the day is the most relaxed. Psychology tests have shown that people are most receptive to new things and more relaxed post lunch for what that’s worth.

Depends on the size of the company, small you’ll most like talk to the boss, larger firm, the TM.

Best random advice, is to be the kind of person you’d want to work with - tidy, polite and pleasant.

Good luck!

StanleyP123:
I’m in hull area but happy to travel to Grimsby, Bridlington, York, etc.

Stanley, I can to introduce you to someone in the Hull area who has plenty of class 2 work, good for gaining some experience and has a requirement for a driver on Friday this week to start off. PM me your details.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Will let you know how I get on.