Advice wanted and needed ,

Hey there.
I’m looking into a career in hgv driving. I want some inside advice about the job rather than just listening to the people trying to sell the course…
Thanks for reading and looking forward to getting some inside advice.
Cheers billy

Why do you want to be a driver?

Maybe you could give us some more information about yourself?

How old are you? What kind of driving history do you have? As Mac12 said, why do you want to be a driver? How much have you looked into it?

There’s a search button up top right, it holds a MASSIVE amount of very valuable information to all us new drivers and to all the people that are looking into driving, have a look!

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me.
We’ll I’ve always been interested in trucks and like the idea of being out and about all day, I enjoy driving and don’t mind being on my own. I’m 19 which I’ve been told by the people selling the course isn’t to young but I think it may be. If you want to know anything else just ask.
Cheers guys.

Billy_martin:
Hey there.
I’m looking into a career in hgv driving. I want some inside advice about the job rather than just listening to the people trying to sell the course…
Thanks for reading and looking forward to getting some inside advice.
Cheers billy

Feel free to post your questions. Members and trainers will be happy to advise you accordingly :smiley:

Paul :smiley:

It’s not a 9 to 5 job (or a 6 to 2, whatever !)
Locals will usually get you back within 10-12 hours
Distance & you could be out for a week tramping or like me, the odd night out.

Never try to rush it, it isn’t a Hatchback & that’s when mistakes happen.
You never stop learning ! If you think you know it all, it’s the wrong job for you.

Hand balling & tail lift deliveries are knackering, that’s why I’m on general haulage mostly delivering bulk/26 pallets at a time, sometimes get multi drops where I deliver 1 here, 3 there & 10 somewhere else etc, then we get collections in the afternoon.

Working for skip companies & council bins will give you a lot of experience with tight turns & the hours are more regular than distance work.

Supermarkets are all much the same, You work out of an RDC (Regional Distribution Centre) & obviously deliver to their shops, most deliveries are on cages & you get on the back to roll 'em off & on. All straight forward work once you been there for a while.

Always ask, if your not sure about something, it’s a lot cheaper & safer than damaging equipment & it can save you getting sacked.

If you get your own wagon, look after it (it will look after you in return) if you cab hop in some one else’s ‘Pit’ look after it, but leave it in the same condition that you found it.

If you get stitched up with a Sainsburys Delivery on a day before Bank Holiday, try to keep your cool while they take 3 hours to check 22 pallets off. (Not like me, I’m about to throw some 'F’s into 'em-rant over)

martinviking:
Never try to rush it, it isn’t a Hatchback & that’s when mistakes happen.

+1 I got my wagon stuck on the side of a country road for not paying enough attention and that was on the first day out in it on my own! Mistakes are ok now and again, just make sure you learn from it and do not repeat it!

martinviking:
Hand balling & tail lift deliveries are knackering

+1 again. This is my line of work atm! It is good if you like the physical side of things and are happy chatting to customers…

martinviking:
Always ask, if your not sure about something, it’s a lot cheaper & safer than damaging equipment & it can save you getting sacked.

+1 +1 +1 +1 I find post people are THE BEST people to ask. I’d be lost without them helpful lads and ladies!

Cheers for the replies guys.
I’m alright with the hours better than I work ATM !! Something im gonna do when I have the money for the course looking forward to it.