Advice to new driver

My first post so be gentle with me lol!
I’ve just started a new job driving a 7.5 t truck (on a grand dads licence) after being made redundant from my old retail job for the last 29 years so all this truck driving is new to me.
The other day I went out with 3 pallets weighing 1000kg each along with other lighter pallets. When trying to unload the pallets onto the tail lift (he type that folds under the rear of the truck)it was very difficult to move the pallet onto the tail lift with the pallet truck due to the weight, I weigh 85kgs btw.
The first pallet basically ran away with me once I (and the chap I was delivering to) finally got it moving so I dropped the pallet down just as it was hanging off the edge of the tail lift. The pallet then snapped under the weight and was balancing like the coach hanging off the cliff on the Italian job!!! Both of us stood on the back of the pallet to stop if falling of the back! I dropped the tail lift quickly!
The next problem was how to remove a 1000kg pallet off the tail lift onto a soft grass surface in the ■■■■■■■ rain.
I tried to lift the tail lift up 12’’ and drive forward so the pallet falls off gently but the problem was the under caridge was acting like an anchor so I just got load of wheel spin in the mud and dug a deep hole with rear wheels.
After jamming allsorts under wheels to get some traction the first pallet was off! It wasn’t pretty but we did it ! Repeat process for next two pallets. Told my employer that sort of job needs a hyab but got told they don’t have one so tough!
My question is how would you experienced trucker do a job like that and do I need to man up and just get on with it?

Welcome, i must say i wouldn’t offload onto soft grass in the first place especially this time of year or any time of year come to think about it and trying to move a ton pallet onto a tail lift is hard work at the best of times. Also you must have close to the weight limit of the lorry if carrying 3 x 1 ton pallets plus other lighter pallets too.

Customer had no solid surface to off load onto so had no option and yes the truck was on its weight limit. I went out with 3400kg which I was told was ok?
Just looking if there’s a better way of doing this type of drop.
To make it even more of a challenge it had difficult access as well lol!
Looking very likely i’ll be going back again later this week with more 1000kg pallets (slabs of stone for his new drive way)

Welcome to Trucknet-UK mr rooney :wink:

I assume the company putting the goods on more pallets isn’t an option, so take a couple of spare pallets with you and break the load down when you get there, you should be able to put an empty pallet on the tail-lift then offload part of another pallet onto it.

If the vehicle has air suspension use it to stop the pallets running away, raise the rear suspension to get the vehicle level or even a bit lower so you have to push the pallets slightly uphill if necessary.

As BB said try to stay off the grass, personally I’d rather pull the pallet truck to where the pallets need to go than risk getting stuck and/or digging up the customers grass.

The pallet more like a crate sealed at the sides and top but could obviously be broken down into a more manageable weight so will defiantly look at that option. No option with air suspension helping me out unfortunately. Couldn’t move a pallet 1/4 of that weight 2’’ on such a poor surface so had to drop it straight off tail lift. No issue this time leaving deep ruts caused by my spinning wheels as he’s paving over the area.
Hope I don’t go out with the 1000kg bags stone chips to a similar location lol! :open_mouth:

Let hope he’s paved over an area for you to use for your next visit :smiley:

teatime:
Let hope he’s paved over an area for you to use for your next visit :smiley:

That would be too good to be true ! I’m starting to get use to challenging deliveries. Just home from a drop of 1000kg pig food to a remote farm down tight winding lanes with grass down centre of the road, mirrors dragging through hedges in the ■■■■■■■ rain and gale force wind oh and it’s very dark lol!

I agree with Tachograph & BB, break it down, deliver it to the road/pavement outside the job.
I don’t usually do tail lift deliveries, but the last time I did one it was a heavy pallet on a 7.5 tonner/small tail lift & the customer/homeowner wanted it pulled across 20ft of gravel driveway, NO, sorry, Mr Customer, I’ll get it as near as possible then it just comes off the tail lift & you can distribute it around your own site.
Think about what would happen if you get injured, pulled your back out or snapped a tendon struggling with it across the grass, your company probably won’t pay you & might even fire you for breaching their own H&S ■■■■■■■■ rules, your the one that will suffer, they will just replace you. If the job takes a bit longer, so be it, as long as they pay you the overtime, if not, look for something else with the correct wage structure & conditions.

martinviking:
I agree with Tachograph & BB, break it down, deliver it to the road/pavement outside the job.
I don’t usually do tail lift deliveries, but the last time I did one it was a heavy pallet on a 7.5 tonner/small tail lift & the customer/homeowner wanted it pulled across 20ft of gravel driveway, NO, sorry, Mr Customer, I’ll get it as near as possible then it just comes off the tail lift & you can distribute it around your own site.
Think about what would happen if you get injured, pulled your back out or snapped a tendon struggling with it across the grass, your company probably won’t pay you & might even fire you for breaching their own H&S ■■■■■■■■ rules, your the one that will suffer, they will just replace you. If the job takes a bit longer, so be it, as long as they pay you the overtime, if not, look for something else with the correct wage structure & conditions.

Some good advice thanks! Us drivers (well me) do seem to be bullied into providing super human acts of strength on a regular basis like moving 1000kg pallets with a pump truck on grass lol! Unfortunately the customers don’t give a ■■■■ about h&s as long as they get the delivery. Some of the more seasoned driver at my company refuse to perform such acts and I can see why now. I’m trying to please the company and the customer as i’m new which can be difficult sometimes.
Went out yesterday with a 1200kg pallet drop but had the luxury of a tarmac drive and a 16 stone customer who helped but still had to park on a very slight slope to help gravity move the pallet onto the tail lift…quick reactions of dropping the pallet truck handle had the pallet safely on the creaking tail lift lol!

I think you need to nip this in the bud sharpish!
What is the SWL of your taillift? What happens if there’s no one there to help you? Who will get the blame if you have an accident?
I know what our office would say - ’ We never told him to do it’
These loads could be potentially disastrous for you - there’s a youtube video of a bloke being fired out of the back of a wagon cos he overran the taillift. don’t get on site and break down the pallets - get some help in the yard before you go and make sure you can move them safely.
You don’t want to be off work with an injury
youtube.com/watch?v=e3n7ydQt140