Advice Required

Tomorrow I have to travel from Workington to Sheffield by car according to Autoroute the fastest way is A66,M6, M60,M62 M1,A61,A57. Was wondering if over Snake Pass would be better?
MTIA Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,
If it was me having to do this trip, whether in a car or lorry, I’d just go straight over the A66 to Scotch Corner and pick up the A1 Southbound and then down to south of Wetherby to pick up the new A1/M1 link and you are then straight down into Sheffield. I think the Auotoroute directions might show less mileage but I’m sure it would entail having to cope with more traffic around the M61, M60, M62 but I suppose it depends on what time of day you are travelling, plus as far as I remember the A57 is the ‘Snake Pass’ from Glossop over to Sheffield. Hope that helps and I’m sure that there will be some folk on here who do this kind of trip on a regular basis who will be able to put you on the right track :slight_smile:
Have a safe journey
Regards
Dave Penn;

sheffield n e s w?

Thanks Dave that is the route I was thinking of I will be leaving Workington around 10.30 have to be at
Royal Hallamshire Hospital for 16.00 and as it is just off the A57 thought the other route would be quicker.
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, If you go into Sheffield from the M1 ‘Meadowhall’ junction I feel sure that the Royal Hallamshire Hospital is signposted quite a few times along that route in to the city and it isn’t too hard to find. The hospital is situated alongside the A57 but that road runs straight into the centre of Sheffield and out the other side again to Worksop and beyond then joins up with the A1 :slight_smile:

Hope everything is OK mate and again have a safe journey :wink:
Regards
Dave Penn;

If you are coming from the M1, come off at J36 (A61) and follow it towards the City Centre. This will bring you past Hillsborough Football ground (Penistone Road). The road setup as you get towards the city centre is a bit confusing so make sure you get in the right lane! Bear right up the hill then right at the roundabout. As you come off the roundabout stay in the left hand lane and bear left in front of the Childrens hospital. At the end of that road you will turn right onto Glossop Road and the Hospital is the gigantic building on your right.

Sounds complicated but it is the easiest way into Sheffield and should only take about 15 minutes from the motorway. (Except rush hour!)

Parking is a nightmare as there are a total of four hospitals in spitting distance of each other so use the multi storey at the front of the hospital.

davepenn54:
Hi Ronnie, If you go into Sheffield from the M1 ‘Meadowhall’ junction I feel sure that the Royal Hallamshire Hospital is signposted quite a few times along that route in to the city and it isn’t too hard to find. The hospital is situated alongside the A57 but that road runs straight into the centre of Sheffield and out the other side again to Worksop and beyond then joins up with the A1 :slight_smile:

The closest hospital to the Meadowhall junction would be the Northern General which is on the junction of Herries Road and Barnsley Road. Hillsborough Football ground is at the other end of Herries Road so it’s not really too far off route.