Advice required

Hi

I’m currently waiting for my licence to come back from the DVSA, with the appropriate provisional status for both C and C+E marked. I hope to drive arctics (C+E) as soon as possible, but am a little bit confused by the theory testing section. I have obtained the official theory testing and hazard perception PC applications. I have also procured both a 2015 highway code and DVSA -Know your traffic signs. In terms of the theory tests, can anybody give me their insights on what to expect? As I suspect that it would be impractical for me to read through the whole of the highway code and traffic sign books. On the other hand however, I am suspecting that the theory tests are going to trip prospective learners up and ask questions which are generalised. As I work full-time and unsociable hours, my initial approach seems impractical i.e. reading through both books until I can commit most sections to memory and understand them.

Any insights would be great. I overanalyse, you see…

The theory test is just like the car one only 100 questions instead of 50. It follows the same stuff with a few truck related questions thrown in for good measure.

Hazard Perception is very straight forward and easy. You either see the potential hazard and click the mouse, or you don’t. The hazards are all pretty obvious, and only one of the clips will have 2 hazards in it. I wouldn’t say that revision here is very important, as once you understand how it works, it comes down to whether you see the hazard or not, and you can’t revise or learn the clips.

My tips for the Hazard Perception is don’t repeatedly pound the mouse button like a “gamer” when you see the hazard, as you will be excluded from the clip and get 0 points for excessive clicking. Click only once the instant you see the hazard, and click again a few times as you see the hazard developing. Each hazard is worth a potential 5 points, and the quicker you see it, the higher the mark. There are 19 clips and the required pass score is 67. The clips are CGI, very impressive, and nice and clear, although the pedestrians do walk around a little like zombies.

As for the 100 Question multiple choice theory test. I’d suggest that the best reference is “The Official DVSA THEORY TEST of Drivers of Large Vehicles” as this book contains probably every question covered by the test, but not necessarily in the same phrasing as the actual test.

The pass requirement for the theory test is 85 out of 100, and again is easy. but only if you revise and go through all the sample questions in the book above. You may end up disappointed that you got a few wrong on the test, I was! :smiley:

Note: You should probably ignore the part in the “The Official DVSA THEORY TEST of Drivers of Large Vehicles” book where it states “discuss these areas with your instructor” if you are planning on doing an intensive driving course, with the practical test at the end of it. I say this because you can only sit your practical driving exam, once you have a pass certificate and number from the DVLA, and this will be sent to you a few days after passing both Multiple Choice Theory and Hazard Perception tests.

You won’t get provisional C+E until you have a full C licence, by the way.

And you can buy a proper DVSA book with every possible question in it (subject to them not being slightly amend since it went into print)

I read through that once and got 99% the one I got wrong was a new one that hadn’t been in my book. Some guff about trailer bounce.

As I recall, you tend to get 4 possible answers, 2 are quite obviously wrong from the offset. The 2 remaining ones will possibly be quite similar, but will have a daft word replaced like. “The MINIMUM height for a vehicle to pass under this bridge is…”

Bare in mind you will also probably need to do the CPC Mod 2 test as well.

It’s fairly similar to the theory test, but the format of the questions are slightly different. You have to read a piece of text describing a situation. You will then be asked questions of the scenario.

Here’s a vid that doesn’t explain it all that well. youtube.com/watch?t=28&v=ln0g-JLmDbs

Oh and when you apply for the provisional also add a D provisional entitlement at the same time. It’ll save you from having to have another medical if you want to get a bus license and it literally is a easy as ticking another box.

You can run through as many tests as you want on this very good site:

gov.uk/practise-your-driving-theory-test

I did it for fun before reading any books and still ‘passed’ on the website… Re the signs, I find just testing myself constantly when I’m driving around a good way to learn…there always seems to be one or two that you’re not quite sure of then check them in the book when you get back…There is also the practical DVLA book which also helps with the theory…

Smithers:
You can run through as many tests as you want on this very good site:

gov.uk/practise-your-driving-theory-test

I did it for fun before reading any books and still ‘passed’ on the website… Re the signs, I find just testing myself constantly when I’m driving around a good way to learn…there always seems to be one or two that you’re not quite sure of then check them in the book when you get back…There is also the practical DVLA book which also helps with the theory…

I am impressed as they have the current speed limit correct …

Question 33 of 50 NI & Scotland Exempt

You are driving a 14 tonnes lorry on a dual carriageway. What does this sign mean? (shows national speed limit sign)

ANSWER = 60 :smiley:

Thank you for all the replies. I’ll have a poke through these and get started. Oh, 2 other questions:

1. Once I get my provisional ‘C’ licence (no CE until I’m fully licenced in C, according to one of the replies), I won’t need any longer than 2 weeks to take my theory test? I’m imagining that hammering both practice PC applications that I have and using the highway code+Signs books for reference should be sufficient

2. Once I pass the C licence, can I apply for a provisional C+E licence on the application that I send off for the full C class?

averagegilo:
Thank you for all the replies. I’ll have a poke through these and get started. Oh, 2 other questions:

1. Once I get my provisional ‘C’ licence (no CE until I’m fully licenced in C, according to one of the replies), I won’t need any longer than 2 weeks to take my theory test? I’m imagining that hammering both practice PC applications that I have and using the highway code+Signs books for reference should be sufficient

2. Once I pass the C licence, can I apply for a provisional C+E licence on the application that I send off for the full C class?

When you pass C most let the examiner deal with the licence and when it comes back from DVLA it will have CE provisional automatically
That will not show on the card but will be online - it used to be on the now scrapped paper counterpart

You pass theory then pass C - no theory for CE

I used a DVD called “Complete HGV and PCV theory and hazard perception” I got from Amazon - passed both with flying colors.

For my mod 2 CPC, I used “Drivertheory4all” which was useful, as it was the only similar syllabus I could find that was anything like the actual test. Lots of people use drivertheory4all for all their theory and HP revision.

Good luck.

i used drivingtheory4all.co.uk for every think theory wise and helped me fly past these. also a lot of reading up on here swell gives a lot of advice :slight_smile:

good luck with it all.

Thanks so much for the help everybody. You know, I almost feel at home with the trucking community :slight_smile:

I did 2 hours of studying yesterday. Well, took a 20 question theory test and scored 70% (pass being 85%). Whilst going through it I made notes to ensure I understood the theory for why I got questions right and wrong. Quite please how its started so far. I’ll start the hazard perception exercises in the next couple of days as well…