Advice requested on trailers

Can anyone answer the following question for me…no doubt this will be not a simple one to answer.

I hope I can explain this correctly…
If you are pulling an empty trailer that belongs to someone else - is this classed as part of the vehicle (artic combination) or as goods ?

thanks ,

Steve

Redline Racing:
Can anyone answer the following question for me…no doubt this will be not a simple one to answer.

I hope I can explain this correctly…
If you are pulling an empty trailer that belongs to someone else - is this classed as part of the vehicle (artic combination) or as goods ?

thanks ,

Steve

It’s just a semi trailer ? It’s not classed as “goods” unless you have some!

You really answered your own question when you posted Steve.

Regardless of whether the trailer belongs to you,a customer,or the Pope,it is part of the combination or tractive unit/semi trailer,and is not classified as goods.

Goods are only what are contained within it,if there are any.

May I ask why your asking?

Ken.

One of my sub-contactors was delivering a trailer for a customer. Only the trailer and was stopped for some reason.

He was told that the trailer was classed as goods as it was new and being delivered. He has a restricted O licence and was told he needed a National.

is this correct ?

Steve

Redline Racing:
He was told that the trailer was classed as goods as it was new and being delivered. He has a restricted O licence and was told he needed a National.

Was there a payment involved?

yes by myself.

But surely if the trailer is part of the combination and he is not carrying goods then he would be OK on Restricted. Or am I wrong in saying this.
He can use any legal trailer on his unit and that is OK with restricted, as long as any goods are his own. So if he has no goods he is still legal ■■?

Answers please.

I ain’t got a clue but hire & reward might enter into it?

Maybe thats the road there trying to go down?

Should be a logistics person on here soon :stuck_out_tongue:

if you have paid him to deliver the trailer to a customer then the trailer is the goods

Steve.

Would not a call to Hillcrest House answer your Q?

Ken.

Don’t pay him. Sorted. Buy him a few cases of plonk or a week in a holiday villa. Gratuity. maybe?

If he is a Sub Contractor, then he is delivering on a Hire & Reward basis, and
If he is delivering on a hire & reward basis, he needs a Standard National Operators Licence, as a Restricted licence allows only for the vehicle to be used for the movement of his own goods.
Whether the trailer is classed as part of a combo or classed as goods is irrelevant, the fact that he is Sub Contracted by you to move “your goods” means that they are not by definition “his goods”, and therfore he requires a Standard National Licence.
The only way around this for him is to claim he was usuing this trailer for carrying his own goods (none on board at the time of the pull) and not delivering the trailer on your behalf. That will get him out of the mire, but if he is to carry on Subbing for you he will require the correct licence.
I now wait to be corrected. :laughing:

Tramper:
If he is a Sub Contractor, then he is delivering on a Hire & Reward basis, and
If he is delivering on a hire & reward basis, he needs a Standard National Operators Licence, as a Restricted licence allows only for the vehicle to be used for the movement of his own goods.
Whether the trailer is classed as part of a combo or classed as goods is irrelevant, the fact that he is Sub Contracted by you to move “your goods” means that they are not by definition “his goods”, and therfore he requires a Standard National Licence.
The only way around this for him is to claim he was usuing this trailer for carrying his own goods (none on board at the time of the pull) and not delivering the trailer on your behalf. That will get him out of the mire, but if he is to carry on Subbing for you he will require the correct licence.
I now wait to be corrected. :laughing:

can’t argue with that :laughing:

the only thought I had was if you sold him the trailer ( and he has sufficient margin on his O licence) he could then sell it to the person he delivered it to :wink:

Silver_Surfer:
Don’t pay him. Sorted. Buy him a few cases of plonk or a week in a holiday villa. Gratuity. maybe?

Or use a haulier that has the correct licence for the work involved rather than someone who hasn’t and is taking on work they shouldn’t be doing. :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Coffeeholic:
Or use a haulier that has the correct licence for the work involved rather than someone who hasn’t and is taking on work they shouldn’t be doing. :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Can’t argue with that!