advice please

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on a few matters. Iv been doing tramping work for just a bit over 3 months and ever since i took the job on the boss spoke to me as if i was a bam. So i asked the other drivers if this was the norm for new starts in his company. Just two weeks ago i got pulled in as a fellow driver complained (stabbed me in the back )that i was moan and saying stuff to which i dont know what was said between driver n boss. which resulted in extended probatation. I finish my week there and the boss sacked me on the spot at 9pm at night for going different route mid week which to me tells me hes used the tracker as evidence to get rid of me because i made a mistake and went a way that was 4miles longer if that. I though this was illegal
Since i was in the job the guy was on my back and really talking to me like ■■■■* which i put up with as it was just small things and for sake of my family.
I was wondering if anyone has been in that situation or know if hes right to use tracker and the fact i made a small mistake to give me the bullet.

If they sacked every driver who’s gone a few miles out of the way because they’ve cocked up, there’d be very few of us left on the roads. I don’t pretend to be an employment lawyer, but if that’s the reason he’s given for giving you the boot, I’d ask for it in writing and then take it further.

Davy85:
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on a few matters. Iv been doing tramping work for just a bit over 3 months and ever since i took the job on the boss spoke to me as if i was a bam.

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s a bam?

Contraflow:

Davy85:
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on a few matters. Iv been doing tramping work for just a bit over 3 months and ever since i took the job on the boss spoke to me as if i was a bam.

Its other wise getting spoke to as if you brainless dafty

Shouldn’t really slag people off…sacking you seems a bit harsh tho.

frankspencer:
Shouldn’t really slag people off…sacking you seems a bit harsh tho.

I havent slagged off any1 .i moaning at the fact he was moaning at me every week speak to me as if i was brain dead. Really its knock on confidence when someone wears you down and i was asking why he was like that to other drivers to see if it would pass or if he was like that with most people All hes heard is hear say

Again, excuse my ignorance, but why did he give you a job if he thought from the outset that you were a brainless dafty?

…or were you the only brainless dafty he could find that was brainless and daft enough to tramp for £6.31p/h flat rate? :laughing:

They all wear you down in this job…I suppose they’re under pressure too? Truckers are all treated badly unless you’re a bit tasty…don’t take it personal, a very thuck skin is needed at times!

frankspencer:
They all wear you down in this job…I suppose they’re under pressure too? Truckers are all treated badly unless you’re a bit tasty…don’t take it personal, a very thuck skin is needed at times!

Theres no great pressure on him apart from scanning paper work as hes not dealing with drivers or allocating jobs that was all through the independent company which allocates trailers & jobs.
I understand that hgv drivers are treated badly & kin deal with it.
When you start in a job you need time to adjust and settle in.
Iv family thats been drivers for 45years so i do know what the script is. I allowed him to speak to me like crap for 12weeks b4 saying look im trying my best and that if he gave me room to just get settled that i would irron out the wee problems.
The other thing is that this so called fellow work saying stuff to him regarding wit ever i say. I expect it to go no futher. Because every1 is able to moan like hell if you have days thats not went well or if you have someone on your case all the time. Its just good just to try speak about it get it off the chest and get a bit of advice off wiser shoulders but instead i got a blade between the shoulders for just asking fellow drivers if he was always like that wae new starts so i could make my own judgement and get on wae the job.
What ever happened to the days when most drivers spoke to other drivers and it went no futher rather than kissin arse.
Would loved to have got told exact who it was so i could have kicked his head in for been a com sucker

Davy85:
I allowed him to speak to me like crap for 12weeks

:laughing:

Contraflow:

Davy85:

must be a bad ■■■ muvva!

Don’t think you’ve got anywhere to go on this one, didn’t they change the law a couple of years ago that meant you’ve got to be in a job for two years before you get any Employment Protection.
Put it down to experience & don’t let any one talk to you like a Muppet again.
I know it’s easy to say that, but there are other jobs out there, agencies etc. So good luck & keep your head held high.

Do you want to work there anyway if the boss is such a ■■■■? Where do you live?

Firstly, as you said, you’re on probation = no leg to stand on unfortunately.
Second, if the boss is talking to you like crap and you don’t like it, it’s the boss you’ve got to tell - don’t get me wrong, they don’t like it and may sack you anyway for ‘attitude’, but I’d rather get sacked for that than for whinging and calling the boss behind his back.

They never like to hear that drivers moan about them behind their back, think about it this way, if you’re saying that to the other drivers, what are you saying to customers?? Whether you are or not doesn’t matter, that’s what they’d think.

Good luck in future employment.

Silver_Surfer:
Do you want to work there anyway if the boss is such a ■■■■? Where do you live?

To be honest wae you. I dont really care wit the boss is like as long as im left alone to get on with the job. My only focus is to provide a decent income for the family.
Its just general for people to moan about there job if they are get hassled when they are doing there best. Or when you pick up trailers that a in a shocking state.
What you dont need is fellow drivers stabbing you in the back for having a little moan

Extended probatation because a driver said whatever i was suppost to have said. To which i questioned whats been said so and got nothing back to me. Yes maybe im moaned about the boss nipping at my heals but cant you ask other drivers if hes always like that. I can understand what your saying but i never said to customers or that just spoke to other drivers within the company for advice. Just like im on here for advice. If your guilty for asking for advice of driver within the same company . then even now were all guilty for talking and asking for advice on here

I had exactly the same at my last full time job Davy!! I didn’t get extended probation though! Just watch what you say to who in future dude!
Your colleagues you’ll find are not to be trusted as they are looking to brown nose!! :wink:

The boss never talked to me like I was a ■■■■ though! :smiley:

Unfortunately mate, you are now guilty for asking other drivers, simply because they’re a bunch of self important back stabbing gits.

You say driverS, as in you’ve mentioned it to more than 1, and it only takes that 1 to report back and you’re ■■■■■■.

Better off moaning to your mates (who don’t work there) or not moaning at all.

Like I said, if I have a problem with a boss, THEY know about it because I go straight to them, they don’t like it, but at least they know that if I’ve got a problem, I’m not moaning to customers etc.

As I also said, it’s cost me quite a few jobs over the years, so it’s not really the answer if you want to keep your job, but I’d rather lose my job for having a word with the boss than have them having a go all the time which will eat at you and may affect your driving.

Others just keep their head down and get on with their job - which is a much better solution, I wish I was like that

dessy:
I had exactly the same at my last full time job Davy!! I didn’t get extended probation though! Just watch what you say to who in future dude!
Your colleagues you’ll find are not to be trusted as they are looking to brown nose!! :wink:

Its a bad day when a driver cant speak to another driver and get stabbed in the bak. Will be a lesson to trust no one even if its just small talk.
Brown noses should be outlawed.
I say hang them for being ■■■ catchers

If you no longer work there, then name and shame to save anyone else making the mistake of working for him, then hopefully he’ll go bust.

Ken.