advice please

Been asked by the gaffer to do an extra shift this week which i don’t mind as the money will come in handy, my problem is i had my weekly rest period on friday and saturday came in sunday and today and maxed out my hours both days so looking at what he wants me to do on tuesday wednesday and thursday i don’t think i have the hours to work friday but my gaffer says the tacho fixed week starts on monday so sundays work does not count toward my weekly driving limits. I thought my weekly driving limit started the first shift back after my weekly rest period regardless of what day of the week it is. Advise please

As much as it shocks me to say this your gaffer is correct. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: Well almost correct, Sunday does count toward weekly driving limits, just not this weeks.

The hours you did on Sunday are part of your 56 hours driving limit for last week. For the purpose of weekly and fortnightly driving limits, and your two extended driving days, the week runs from 00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday.* If you are maxing out your driving hours each day the fortnightly 90 hour driving limit may still affect your ability to work Friday.

Your three reduced rest periods are from weekly rest period to weekly rest period so maybe this is where your confusion comes from.

*I know there is no such time as 24:00 but it’s the easiest way to explain it. :wink:

You’ll just have to keep an eye on your fortnightly total which started from monday last week and ends this coming sunday. You have a weekly limit of 56 hours driving, starting after your weekly rest, but whether you can actually do that depends on what you did last week.

Thanks for your help on this gents. I usually work 5 on 3 off and i have always calculated my weekly limits to the 5 days in between the 2 weekly rest periods of 3 days off as i thought it was a rolling week.

Can i clarify one thing?
You say Neil that Sundays hours are part of last weeks limit of 56.
Say for instance i worked Mon-Fri, driving three 9’s and two 10’s, had 24hrs off on Saturday and back in on Sunday.
Now, between weekly rest periods i can do two 10hr driving shifts. Does that not leave me free to do a 10 on Sunday, or is the wording different to mean i can only do two 10’s per Monday-Sunday week?

It’s sometimes awkward to get the brain around the regs when some things are in a WEEK (between sunday midnight and sunday midnight) and other things are between WEEKLY RESTS

Have a look at the regs and see which of the two is apropriate for what you are looking at

Driving time rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

Reduced daily rest rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

Decide which and then forget the other

ROG:
It’s sometimes awkward to get the brain around the regs when some things are in a WEEK (between sunday midnight and sunday midnight) and other things are between WEEKLY RESTS

Have a look at the regs and see which of the two is apropriate for what you are looking at

Driving time rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

You’re right ROG and simply explained too. I had to check and make sure your account hadn’t been hijacked !!! :grimacing:

DaiDap:
Can i clarify one thing?
You say Neil that Sundays hours are part of last weeks limit of 56.
Say for instance i worked Mon-Fri, driving three 9’s and two 10’s, had 24hrs off on Saturday and back in on Sunday.
Now, between weekly rest periods i can do two 10hr driving shifts.

Not quite, it’s two ‘10’s’ a week, not between rest periods.

DaiDap:
Does that not leave me free to do a 10 on Sunday,

It doesn’t, you’ve used your two tens for the week already. The only way you could do 10 on the Sunday in this scenario is if you start your shift Sunday and finish it Monday and you don’t exceed 9 hours driving until after midnight. That would mean you have extended your driving time in the new week and would be one of your two allowed for that week.

DaiDap:
or is the wording different to mean i can only do two 10’s per Monday-Sunday week?

Correct. This is the wording from the regulations,

The daily driving time shall not exceed nine hours.

However, the daily driving time may be extended to at most
10 hours not more than twice during the week.

The bit in red is important when you know that when the term ‘week’ is used in the regulations it means only one thing,

‘a week’ means the period of time between 00.00 on
Monday and 24.00 on Sunday;

Mike-C:

ROG:

Driving time rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

You’re right ROG and simply explained too. I had to check and make sure your account hadn’t been hijacked !!! :grimacing:

And i’m not paying full attention, they’re both the same in the above quote !!! You mean driving time rules are in the FIXED WEEK !! Pah !!!

Mike-C:

Mike-C:

ROG:

Driving time rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

And i’m not paying full attention, they’re both the same in the above quote !!! You mean driving time rules are in the FIXED WEEK !! Pah !!!

I have highlighted the bit which makes a WEEK and your FIXED WEEK the same thing

ROG:

Mike-C:

Mike-C:

ROG:

Driving time rules are?
1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

1 - In a WEEK
2 - Between WEEKLY RESTS

I have highlighted the bit which makes a WEEK and your FIXED WEEK the same thing

Ok, don’t go complicate it now. I’ve got it !!