advice please

i had class 1 test today and on the un couple excersise the airline popped so test was aborted witch is fair enough, but training provider is blaming me, what is there can i do about it?
regards lofty

How did it pop? Was it because the collar wasn’t twisted round or was there a fault with it?

LOFTY HFD:
i had class 1 test today and on the un couple excersise the airline popped so test was aborted witch is fair enough, but training provider is blaming me, what is there can i do about it?
regards lofty

Hi LOFTY HFD

Based on the info you’ve given, my guess is that you didn’t quite push the airline quite hard enough when you coupled it to the male connector.
If that’s true, it’s possible that you then didn’t notice that the collar hadn’t returned to its normal position on the female connector.

I’d also say that this might possibly have been a perfectly understandable ‘test nerves’ thing on your part, so if true, I’m afraid you failed fair and square and there’s probably nothing you can do about it apart from putting it down to experience and being very careful to get your coupling procedure spot-on for your next test.

Not to worry though mate, cos I failed my first C+E test too… and it was for something barmy that I could and should have taken more care about doing correctly at the time. :blush: :blush: :wink:

When you look back at this sometime in the future, I think you might agree that these are the kinds of things that keep us sharp. :smiley:

Sorry to hear about your test going wrong, dont let it put you off trying again :wink:

Sounded to me like the pipe itself burst and the test was cancelled - not failed, may well be wrong though.

If you failed because you made a mistake with coupling the air line then it is a fair fail and unfortunately down to a candidate error.

If however the test was aborted (ie not completed) because of a vehicle mechanical defect then it would be customary for the training provider to provide a new test appointment.

As a matter of interest was there any other recorded serious or dangerous driving faults on your test report up to that point. I only ask because if there were then the issue is fairly academic as you would have failed for something else anyway.

Regards

John

flairtraining.co.uk

it was vehicle error it burst, could hear it hissing as i climbed on the catwalk, then as i disconnected it it ■■■■■■ out air sorry for confution sholda explained a bit better.

Sounds like they are blaming you to avoid paying for a free retest for yourself. Read their terms and conditions if they provided any and if it says anything in your favour, like a free test if the vehicle breaks down then make them aware of your rights according to their rules. But even if it’s nit mentioned they obviously failed to supply what you paid them for.

I run a driving school and frankly all you need to do is say, I would like a free retest or I will take you to court and aim to recover the entire fees I have paid for the x number of days training I’ve had because you have failed to provide the service I was sold.

Should do it with any luck, depends if they are cowboys or not.

Good luck, over the past 40 years we’ve been going we have had many a break down on test, last one blew it’s turbo into two parts, and we always give the driver a free test.

LOFTY HFD:
it was vehicle error it burst, could hear it hissing as i climbed on the catwalk, then as i disconnected it it ■■■■■■ out air sorry for confution sholda explained a bit better.

Hi LOFTY HFD,

Thanks for the extra info. :smiley:

What exactly was written on your failure sheet as the reason that the test was “aborted?”

In the light of the extra info, I can’t see how anybody could blame you for what happened.
A simple question to the provider would be: Are you saying that I broke the airline by coupling or uncoupling it, thereby making it my fault?

An airline is meant to be coupled and uncoupled, so maybe it wasn’t fit for purpose and should have been noticed by the instructor.
If a ‘kink’ wasn’t visible, then the airline was old and brittle and maybe unforeseeable, but IMHO it’s still a vehicle breakdown nevertheless.

I reckon that you should speak to the provider to explain your side of the story and give them chance to consider their response, because it may well be that this can be dealt with amicably. The examiner’s written comment(s) on the failure sheet may help you. :wink:

Vehicles can break down at any time - but yes it’s usually at the test centre.
Any reasonable training school would have offered you a retest without even thinking about it.

We had a situation where as the examiner was getting into the vehicle the top door hinge snapped - was quite funny really but no one is to blame, and yes the customer got a free test and passed :smiley: :smiley:

If, as it has been hinted at that the test was aborted, and not given a fail, then it is vehicle error. You should have a free retest, and you don’t have to wait 3 days either. Hope that helps.

its been sorted now thanks for all the advice tho, the company ave agreed to pay half the cost as i picked up a serious fault, which i did not personally think was serious but thats a differant matter.
thanks again lofty