ADVICE PLEASE

After many years driving a hgv im considering going it alone and buying my own truck and trailer. I was considering a Scania or a Merc with a 14ft 3 curtainsider. I have 2 contracts wich will give regular work, at least 4 days worth but I also have been reading the backloads adverts in the truck mags are these the best places to look or is there certain sites to go on whilst out and about etc. Ive also seen the Maritime adverts for leasing the trucks and doing there work has anyone any experience of doing it this way. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Up until a year ago I would have said go for it. BUT NOT NOW. It must be the worst possible time to start.
If you have to rely on return loads to make your money they are few and far between at the moment. Those that are advertised are mostly poor rates and it can be 90 days before you get your money.
I have been an O.D for 14yrs and have made some good money, a lot more than I could have working for someone. BUT NOT TODAY. Sitting at home on 3 days a week and lucky to get that.
If you have a job my advice to you is wait untill things pickup even if it takes two years.
The road haulage industry is going through a hard time at the moment and there’s nothing to say it won’t get worse.
If you do go for it, good luck because you will certainly need it.
Regards Fenman

Cheers I think I`ll wait it out and see what happens and look into it a lot deepper untill the time is right. Sorry things are tight I hope they pick up for you.

If you are using money that is lying around in your bank account then it could be worth you buying a unit, there is some mega cheap deals around at the moment, if it doesn’t pick up in 12 months then you could always sell the unit on, you will have lost a bit of money but then that will be a lot less than you could lose if you go ahead at this time

Alan DJ:
If you are using money that is lying around in your bank account then it could be worth you buying a unit, there is some mega cheap deals around at the moment, if it doesn’t pick up in 12 months then you could always sell the unit on, you will have lost a bit of money but then that will be a lot less than you could lose if you go ahead at this time

i’ll echo what alan dj has stated,i myself have just purchased an absolute bargain… 05’ merc 2550 v8 plus 42ft tridec rear steer flat,plus hiab 085 roller crane (brick/block)…can’t say purchase price on here,but what i paid relates to the trailer and crane being free of charge,plus the unit is worth at least £3k more than what i paid for the whole lot!!if you got the balls and work waiting,go for it now is my advice.andy