advice please

ok, not long passed my test, and finding it hard with agencys, non of them show much intrest, loads of agencys such as eclispe and igloo deal with brakes, yet they wont send new drivers there, but when i rang brakes, they said so long as i had a class c, they did not have a problem, but they are just using angency drivers at the moe, so im a bit stuck.

Im in grantham, so any advice on an agency to use?

also been about a job, and its 10hour days, job and knock. a few days of the week its multidrop in leicester, 6 drops. then 2 days the week its newcastle, go up there, do 6 drops then back, is it just me being a newbie, but upto newcastle, then 6 drops, then back home seems alot, for 7.50hr, plus got to unload tyres and load them back on, as well as label them?

as always, your thoughts and advice more than welcome,

It’s a start if you can handle the physical side,

thats the part im thinking, its the lifting bit, but yeh its experience to move on.

i thought the test was going to be the hard part, but getting a job is worse, all the press says driver shortage etc, but it does not seem to be for class 2.

If you were in Newcastle you would be getting about £6.50 ph

But from Grantham upto Newcastle is about 3.5 hrs drive depends where in Newcastle you are going there are you expected to do nights out and what will you be payed for that

But as a newbie you could do it for a while to get some experience but not what everyone wants to do

no nights out, he said up until the last 5 months it was a night out job, but now there are just 6 collections its up and back in same day on a mon and thur. its unloading truck tyres, then loading on old ones from ats and the like.

Be prepared for very long days if your doing the Tyre Collections. I did a fortnight for CEL in wednesbury , started at 7am and wasnt back finished till 6pm ish.

take into account that an 18 tonner can carry about 600 scrap tyres and you gonna ache bad after loading up and is also a pain as they tend to put the scrap tyres outside down a little narrow passageway, and the tyres ofc are all full of water and other hirrible manky stuff. You will come back dirty and smelly, and covered in manky water.

I would advise anyone not to do the tyres unless they are really stuck for a job.

just my tuppence worth :slight_smile:

Theres a lot of work atm in refuse collection via agency cos of the school hols, its where i started (with driver hire), i started on bulk collections, going straight onto wheelie bin rounds is a bad idea as the crew will tell their boss your crap (even if your not) and you won’t be asked back.

thanks guys, well currys at newark want 7.5ton drivers, so i think that may be a good start.

and yeh i think tyres would be long hours,

id sooner have a clean job

Robina. Cat C is nearly always much harder physically than C+E work. Just the nature of the beast sadly.
Have you tried 247 in Peterborough? I know its a bit further away but they always seem busy when we spoke to them.
Just try ringing around every agency in the book - it dont have to be on the doorstep as they farm drivers out far afield.
For for the C+E is my advice.
Apasrt fro thast doing some 7.5 ton work will get you the invaluable experience under your belt that all the companies seem to want these days and it shows them also that you are wiling to work regardless of the vehicle you are driving.
Good luck

thanks,

just looked have an advert and says class 2 EXPERIENCE PREFERABLE BUT NOT ESSENTIAL , so that be worth a go

thanks mothertrucker

Robina,

don’t knock the 7.5t route, if you can get class 2 work all the better, but i started on the 7.5t for comet when i first passed my test in nov last year.

to start with i registered with approx 6 agencies and got no phone calls for weeks, then one Friday got asked if i could do a Saturday and Sunday with comet on 7.5 (with 2 different agencies).

did the Saturday and Sunday but was knackered (and i do mean f… knackered) but it gave the agencies a chance to see how i worked and i got to see how they worked. since that weekend i have hardly had a weekend off as i worked hard for them and drove as well as i could and was really careful with the wagons. apparently comet reported back what i was like and asked for me again but since then i have hardly done 7.5 work, or if i have i wont do multi drop in 7.5 and get paid class 2 wages, and the phone is always ringing.

as for the tyres thing, try it, if you don’t like it find another one and move on, it is easier to get a job once you have one than to get the foot in the door in the first place.

good luck hunting for it mate, you will get there in the end

thanks for that mate,

well applied to currys, and if anyone else wants currys from newark its with ambitions. also applied for class 2 with 247, il take either if offered, but the tyre one is not for me i dont think, shame tho as the trucks brand new and auto.