Advice please - fixed fifth wheel

I have just put a deposit down on a 2009 Renault Magnum 500. Going to be starting on pulling ferry trailers and then see how it goes. Unit is cheap enough and although a bit rough in places seems honest enough. Blinded by the opportunity to own my own truck, second time in ten years, buyers remorse is starting to kick in a little and I’m beginning to think I’ve overlooked one major aspect. It’s a fixed fifth wheel. How much of a problem is this likely to cause and what would be the likely cost to swap for a slider. Any advice greatly appreciated as I am even considering losing the deposit paid and looking elsewhere.

I would not buy a unit with a fixed fifth wheel due to your comment about moving numerous different trailers, of which are all different with their pin dimensions .
The scenario is as follows, a good paying job , but you have to turn it down because of the fixed wheel problem, i would lose the deposit and look for another unit or get a quote on fixing a sliding one on the Magnum, you will get the tax back from your accountant .

If it’s the right truck for you just buy a second hand slider, stick a new jaw kit in it and swap it over.

Thanks for the replies.

Is it easy enough to do and is it quite common practice. I’ve tried ringing a few commercial garages and no one seems to have done it before, which I find strange…

I gave up on sliding fifth wheels a long time ago. If the fixed fifth wheel is in the manufacturers recommended position then it should fit all trailers unless it’s a complete oddball or has something attached to the front bulkhead such as a frame or ladder etc. My tractors have fixed fifth wheels and while the vast majority of the time they are pulling my own trailers, I do move other trailers on occasion and have never come across an issue.
Why not see how you go before chucking a load of money trying to solve a problem that may not be there?

I pull ferry trailers all the time I do nothing else I ordered my unit with a fixed fifth wheel I usually pull euroliners and the very odd fridge job and never had a problem.I had a slider on my last unit and never moved it once.

Probably just a case of second thoughts about the high jump now that you are a bit committed, like finally getting engaged or married I guess so nothing unusual there.

5th wheel location is about weight distribution primarily and much less about snagging landing gear, chassis rails or other on older or unusual trailers.

I would stick with most of the good advise above and keep the unit provided I thougnt it was a good buy value wise.

It is really easy to fit a second hand slider later in the unlikely event it is required.

Well done to you and best wishes with your endeavours.

Almost certain its in the right place already but if it isn’t it can be moved a bit either way, once in place leave it.
Doubt you’ll every come across a trailer that it won’t couple to.

My slider i played about with when i got the lorry issued to me new, using an axle weigher i used regularly to get the exact spot for perfect weight distribution, it hasn’t moved from that spot for nearly 4 years and i can pull every sort of trailer we have or rent as well as the tanks its normally on.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it seems that a fixed wheel is hopefully not going to be a problem then.