Advice pleade

Could someone please tell me is the A702 off the M74 up to Edinburgh a decent road or is it worth doing the extra mileage and going up to Hamilton on A74 then cutting along The M8 past Livingston ,
I know longer mileage but fast road . Never done the A702 hence the question
Thanks

I have preferred to use the A702 ,lovely views and not a bad road at all .

Is a nice road to drive reasonably flat Goes though a few little villages.
Time wise probably not much difference as can get up some speed and not much traffic.
Just be aware if you need take. Break not really many parking spots along it

Nice views or not , you won’t get your fuel bonus across the 702 & it’s 40 mph so I’d go up 74

dozy:
Nice views or not , you won’t get your fuel bonus across the 702 & it’s 40 mph so I’d go up 74

Just glad I don’t have cameras fuel bonuses or anything like that

Got a tracker but office don’t really bother with it.
Told where your going and.dont care which way you go as long as arrive there on time.

Doubt I’d last long at a comapny with a fuel. bonus cameras etc

I often use 702, nowt wrong with it.
As for fuel bonus, not bothered.

Thanks for the heads up all ,
Done it today , nice and quiet mostly 40-50mph limits a couple of 30s nice and quiet made a nice change after driving up on motorways all the way from the south .
Also came back that way , not as good coming back as sun was going down and at this time of year a low sun at about 1630 not much fun .
Would deffo use again if going to Edinburgh again , wouldn’t use in the dark though to many lights coming at you I would imagine .
Like I said all good today though
Thanks

Hi happytrucker if you’re using the 702 again take care on a Wednesday/Thursday when you reach Midlothian as it’s bin days and you’ll find a wee 12 tonner stopped in some awkward places :open_mouth: I work that route from time to time it can be a bit scary.Anyway glad you enjoyed the run have done it many times when heading south in my younger days
:smiley: cheers Ray

If you’ve got a bit of time take the left fork in the road as you join the A702 and go through Penicuik and take the A701 all the way to Moffat, views are even better on that road. Also there’s the added bonus of joining the 74 well below Beattock :wink:

Drove up it in the car over Xmas. Don’t expect to rush but then again the limit is 40 for HGVs anyway and you’ll be able to do that so it’s not that the locals dawdling around will hold you up in a truck. Decent enough road, you’re not going to be chucked all over the place by potholes.