Advice on walking floors

Could anyone give any good advice on walking floor trailers starting a new job soon will be shown what to do but looking for any good tips etc thank you

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Always always always before you load either open the back door or climb up onto the gantry and have a look where the internal bulkhead is. It needs to be up against the headboard and the mat lying down on the floor.
If it’s a manual sheet always tie your straps together and launch the weight over first before you roll the sheet open. Makes life easier when pulling the roof sheet closed.
Acquire a pole of some sort (the one that comes with the trailer for pulling the straps down is good) and after tipping give the runners at the top of the trailer a clean out. It’ll stop the internal bulkhead getting jammed.

All should be very straightforward, before loading make sure that your clean sweep (or whatever your firm calls it) if you have one, is against the bulkhead (front). Open roof (many variations) before loading. Make sure after loading you can close the roof and the load is secure, if you aren’t happy then don’t move it regardless of what you’re told about ‘other drivers’.

When tipping, depending on trailer design, open roof, open back doors (might need pto on for lifting door), walk out. Some set ups will require lights on for anything to work. If tipping in a pit or have a machine pushing the load away then you just sit there, otherwise shift the vehicle forward as the load builds up on the floor behind you.

When empty, pull ahead, put clean sweep back in position/ sweep out as required. Shut everything up, clear off.

Does a walking floor have a moving bulkhead ?
Thought that be more like an ejector trailer :confused:

Suedehead:

what harrawaffa calls an ‘internal bulkhead’, I call a ‘clean sweep’, ally door with a mat on rails that moves with the load, saves having to use a broom after tipping.

Suedehead:

Yes and a mat attached to the bottom. The load sits on the mat and when the trailer walks out the the load drags the mat and the attached bulkhead/internal door/clean sweep along with it pushing the load out.

Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Vid:

Suedehead:

what harrawaffa calls an ‘internal bulkhead’, I call a ‘clean sweep’, ally door with a mat on rails that moves with the load, saves having to use a broom after tipping.

Cheers for that, I am easily confused and I put it down to my age :blush:
Only done a couple of walking floor jobs a few years back and forgot to turn the sidelights on and couldn’t work out why it wouldn’t work.