Advice on refresher course please :)

Hi all, :smiley:

I am looking for a bit of advice on what you recommend/think would be beneficial to myself regarding a refresher course.

A little history: I passed my class 2 march 06 and went with a couple of agencies to get experience for a year, passed my class 1 March 07 and stayed with agencies I was with and got both class 1&2 work whichever was available. Anyway I badly broke my ankle at the end of 07 and it did not heal and ended up having a few operations, was not able to drive or work until 2010 but was having problems just driving a car so did not go back to driving hgv. Anyway all healed now but I don’t feel confident enough to just get out there, I don’t think many company’s would feel too confident about taking me on either. So feel a refresher course or 2 would help get my confidence back and sharpen my skill’s (not that I had chance to gain much experience or skill before-hand). So I feel like a total noob all over again, what do you think class 1 & 2 refresher, just class 1, couple of both …Advice would be helpfull as I don’t want to have too little, and mess up on the road but I don’t want to fork out too much money for more when it’s not really required.

Thanks

Peta

C+E refresher for half a day with some real life reversing such as backing into an empty warehouse unit on an industrial estate

All the 10+ year gap artic refreshers I did that booked a whole day and got bored after lunch because it had all come back by then

Once again I agree with ROG. Get 3 or 4 hours, preferably on an artic rather than w+d. A good trainer will ease you back in gently and not push harder than is fair.

You should also get a certificate which will carry some weight if issued by a qualified trainer.

Where are you?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice ROG and Pete.

I’m in Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire.

Peta

I suggest Bassets on A34 near Stone.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that, I will give them a call tomorrow :grimacing:

Hi, Also give Transed Training at Talke a call. Phone up and get some quotes from a few in the area.

Thanks

I passed with Transed out at Crew - before they had any other site, tried calling them on Friday but the call wouldn’t connect. Sent them an e-mail but heard nothing back yet, probably due to bank holiday weekend.

Peta

Thanks for the advice :smiley:

Have done some ringing round as suggested and…on one of my calls, the gent that I spoke to was actually the very same gent that took me for my very first driving assessment for a class 2 job a week after I passed my test :open_mouth: (Still have his written report of how that went- got a copy that he had to hand in to the company). Is that just sad? :blush:

Any way he invited me down to have a look at the vehicles and have a chat and also informed me of the cpc, knew a bit about it but didn’t realize had to get 35 hours in by 10th Sept this year. Seeing him tomorrow so hopefully won’t feel as nervous about getting back to it. As I said previously, I feel like a total newbie all over again, nervous, excited, worried, etc.

Will let you nice people know how I get on.

Thanks again.

P.s. love the site, lot’s of useful info and link’s :smiley:

Hi,

Don’t know if this is any use now but Transed have moved from Talke to Stoke. Their number is 01782 771177 and their admin email address is admin@transedtraining.co.uk. They’re usually pretty good at getting back to people quickly :slight_smile: