Advice on moving to America needed please

Hi all. Firstly have never been to the States, but am going over early next year, for around a month on holiday to tour the country. Over the past couple of weeks have been thinking about possibly staying over there, and giving truck driving a try. I have no family to take over with me as i will be divorced by then. I will be 31. I know i will have to take a test over there.

I wont be selling up over here I will rent my house out, so if I went over and only did it for 12 months it would be easier to come back. What steps would I need to take to get work permits and the like? Any info appreciated, thanks

Unless you marry an American or invest lots of dosh into a business there you’re chances are very slim, I’m afraid.

good luck in the green card lottery you have no chance of winning a green card another brit who watched convoy and wants to drive in the usa have u ever drove in - 30 or in a white out been stranded on an interstate in a severe snow storm wake up stop dreaming you would be better giving canada a go

scania 143 the king:
good luck in the green card lottery you have no chance of winning a green card another brit who watched convoy and wants to drive in the usa have u ever drove in - 30 or in a white out been stranded on an interstate in a severe snow storm wake up stop dreaming you would be better giving canada a go

and of course Canada has none of these road conditions right? :unamused:

sure canada has severe winters but would be easier to get into seeing as companies there are screaming out for drivers

Why are Canada screaming for drivers, is there a reason for this?

As best I can tell, getting to stay in the US are between slim and none, and slim left the building.

The thing about Canada is that people don’t want to drive trucks anymore. Why should they when there is more money to be made in computers or on the oilpatch? They are seeking drivers but are now getting more picky and it isn’t as easy as it was. With Canadian firms, you do get to see the US. In Houston at the moment.

Why would he be another wannabe, 143? I promise you, Convoy had nothing to do with my decision to come here.

True, many Candians have moved onto brtter paying jobs. Let’s also remember that there’s a shortage of laong haul drivers, and really not too many people like to this for too many years. Some of the guys who have a few years under their belt, move into the office or doing regional work.

Doing long haul when you first come to Canada can be good, as you get to see most of Canada and the U.S. After a year or so, or when you get your PR, there are better jobs that one can move to, as with the case of many drivers on this forum. It can also be a bit rough at first if you have a family.

I’ve been looking into moving to the US for a long time. There’s two hopes, bob hope and no hope… and Bob isn’t feeling well.
Go to Canada, the trucking industry is wanting drivers, your choice of canadian only, or cross border into the US depending on company.
Long haul Canadian to the US gives you the best of both worlds, Canadian health care, an immigration program that lets in wagon drivers, as well as plenty of time in the US where you can get cheap stuff (like ■■■■ and electronic stuff).
Satellite radio rules the world, coast to coast reception, (sure you pay for it, but it’s worth it), huge sleepers, the feeling of being a real driver again (stoking a wagon with a roadranger crash box works wonders). Sensible hours rules (14 hour shift, 11 hours driving a day, 70 hours max driving a week, or they were last I was there)
Just be aware you’ll be away for weeks at a time. But it’s great, and well worth doing.

bugcos:
I have no family to take over with me as i will be divorced by then. I will be 31.

All you have to do is find a new wife,preferably attractive,rich and American.problem solved. :smiley:

bugcos:
Why are Canada screaming for drivers, is there a reason for this?

because the pay and conditions are ■■■■ and Canadian drivers don’t want to do it :wink:

Longwayround:

bugcos:
I have no family to take over with me as i will be divorced by then. I will be 31.

All you have to do is find a new wife,preferably attractive,rich and American.problem solved. :smiley:

And give me her address :laughing:

Not so sure, Pat. I do ok out of it. I guess I make as much as many US drivers and I don’t have the same overheads as a rule. Namely George and co.

It is also worth noting that Canada has a reasonably small population and an awful lot of roads that need to be covered, and since most US drivers stop after 4 snowflakes, it falls to those in Canada to do the winter work. :laughing: :laughing:

bobthedog:
most US drivers stop after 4 snowflakes, it falls to those in Canada to do the winter work. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I wish :laughing: They don’t live round here then ! We have about a minimum of 3 feet for 4 months of the year :laughing:

I did say most, Pat. Try Wisconsin!! Indiana was funny last week, too. Honestly, if I get could a crazy canadian infanti illegitimus again I will scream!!! :laughing: