Advice on loading

Hi all

Can someone clarify what’s the law on securing palletised loads of various weights? Where I work we have box and curtainsiders. The boxes have securing bars that fit across to secure load and the curtainsider has hanging internal straps from either the centre each side. There’s no ratchet straps. Is this sufficient or should I be using ratchet straps for each pallet?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

I believe the DVSA will accept internal straps being used to secure objects of up-to 400kg, that is of course assuming the internal straps are suitable to hold 400kg.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone have a link to confirm this as I can’t see it on their website :slight_smile:

Here you go :wink:

Curtain-sided bodies

Lighter goods

Lighter goods can be contained to a satisfactory level via the hanging straps or the use of inner curtains (see light palletised goods).

Thanks. So any pallet over 400kg is classed as heavy and would then need individual strapping?
Is it a requirement to be told the weight of the load if its over 400kg or down to the driver to ask the warehouse manager/forklift driver so as to know whether to use internal or ratchet straps?

Thanks

Read this it might help with curtainsiders …movingon.blog.gov.uk/load-secur … -vehicles/

Actually probably covered by what tachograph posted .

Thanks for your reply. I don’t think any of the trailers we have are clsssed as EL standard, certainly not seen any stickers. I think I’ll ask about the straps this week and see what they come up with.

also remember that if the box vehicle loads do not touch both sides, shoring bars are not adequate on there own, as they only restrict forward and rearward movement, I know of two drivers fined in Germany for not strapping the goods to eliminate sideways movement, 600 euro fines,
as an aside on my laptop the euro money sign is on the right of the number 4 key at the same level, with the $ sign on the top of the key and accessed by the up arrow key how do I get to use the euro sign?

Cheers I think it’s all cleared up now.

hotel magnum:
also remember that if the box vehicle loads do not touch both sides, shoring bars are not adequate on there own, as they only restrict forward and rearward movement, I know of two drivers fined in Germany for not strapping the goods to eliminate sideways movement, 600 euro fines,
as an aside on my laptop the euro money sign is on the right of the number 4 key at the same level, with the $ sign on the top of the key and accessed by the up arrow key how do I get to use the euro sign?

Well how much of a gap are you allowed then ? Generally speaking there’s always going to be a gap of some kind.

bald bloke:

hotel magnum:

Well how much of a gap are you allowed then ? Generally speaking there’s always going to be a gap of some kind.

My thought too. As there has to be a gap to get 1 pallet past the other :wink:

nick2008:

bald bloke:

hotel magnum:

My thought too. As there has to be a gap to get 1 pallet past the other :wink:

For XL rated curtain siders they say no more than 80mm either side so I’d use that as the guide.

Also, a pallet is 1m x 1.2m isn’t it? So two side by side would be 2.4 max (if packed properly) A standard truck is 2.55 so that’d leave 150mm total so it all kinda makes sense.