Advice on loading on beavertail

Hi guys after a bit of advice on loading we are trying to work out how to get 2 cars on a beaver tail, we are about 12 inches to short, is it feasible to put loading ramps bolted to the bulkhead around 10 high be ok so we can get to 2 on the body and beaver tail, just unsure wether Voda would see it and go nuts, cheers

It would depend how eager you were, but I’m sure someone will come along very soon and give you a sensible answer.

scooter87:
Hi guys after a bit of advice on loading we are trying to work out how to get 2 cars on a beaver tail, we are about 12 inches to short, is it feasible to put loading ramps bolted to the bulkhead around 10 high be ok so we can get to 2 on the body and beaver tail, just unsure wether Voda would see it and go nuts, cheers

nothing to stop you doing that aslong as you can secure the cars on

Yeh they will be on good 4 straps per car here’s a pic so I know what I mean

nice drawing that pal have you considered going on britains best artist , if you do punch that richard bacon square in the face as best you can then lean over him and tell him it was from me :open_mouth:

scrotumscratcher:
nice drawing that pal have you considered going on britains best artist , if you do punch that richard bacon square in the face as best you can then lean over him and tell him it was from me :open_mouth:

As long as it’s well secured and ramps unlikely to move or fail I can’t forsee any issues if you are within weights. I’m guessing that you’ll be OK with that as two cars long will be a long rigid rather than a 7.5t.

I get creative like this all the time to use my load space with plant to best effect, it’s amazing what can be achieved with a few minutes extra work. Often those minutes can save hours and hundreds of pounds by making it one load and not two

You’ll need to go fairly high to find 12"

Ford Focus is 171" long so you want to reduce that to 159" you’d need a height of 63", over 5’.

10" of lift if I read your post correctly would only find you 1 inch in length.

Also its my understanding although someone may correct me that the load must be secured to the bed, not to a ramp which is secured to the bed. I may be wrong here.

If you’re already heavy enough to be doing it commercially then you should consider putting one on a trailer (and probably using a lighter unit as you’ll only have 8250kg train on a C1+E 107)

O licence and tacho I assume are in place. If you’re qualified to C+E or have done a 12t C1+E I’d not faff about.

scooter87:
Yeh they will be on good 4 straps per car here’s a pic so I know what I mean 0

That’s very funny, I like sardonic wit. Keep up the good work Sir. :smiley:

Lol it’s a 18t with a 25ft bed

Could be an issue when it comes to getting them off, as the first car will be on the ramps still (hopefully) not got a car trailer or a vehicle with a spec lift & flat bed?

Someone asked me about moving 2 cars from uk to Austria, they had been quoted £5000 , which when you start adding up fuel costs ferry/train costs and road tolls ,and wages for-5 6 shifts if in a vehicle with tachograph , wasn’t far of the mark and if it’s a standard 18t rigid as a 7.5t may be over weight with 2 cars ,as most are 3.5t payloads you would also need to load/unload somewhere with either a ramp or loading dock, unless you were able to do as those 2 artics did, when they transshipped a car using the tail lifts

Do it properly and get a company to fabricate something like this up

What cars are they,have you made sure that the vehicle with the greatest overhang wether its front or rear is on the back.

What are the cars & where Austria? I could look at quoting on them, £5k is v steep.

Put the one with the most overhang on last .

iguana:
What are the cars & where Austria? I could look at quoting on them, £5k is v steep.

not sure, i think one was a Chrysler,and somewhere near Vienna, I did a rough estimate of what it would cost me to do it i would say around 2.5-3kinc fuel ferry or train and tolls, it’s around 1100mile one way

Punchy Dan:
Put the one with the most overhang on last .

Sounds like it might be a plant body with hydraulic ramps at the back though - although having looked again at the Tony Hart gallery section they’ve not been illustrated.

As long as the extra ramps have mechanical fixings (eg bolts pins) I can’t see a problem. If the bottom bit of the ramp on the deck isn’t going to be fixed easily I would put some friction material between them and put a banding strap around the two ramps and a ■■■■■■■■ round each separate ramp pulling outwards with an opposing force.

tommy t:

iguana:

not sure, i think one was a Chrysler,and somewhere near Vienna, I did a rough estimate of what it would cost me to do it i would say around 2.5-3kinc fuel ferry or train and tolls, it’s around 1100mile one way

Why I asked what the cars are is that an hgv isnt the cheapest way to do that, assuming not 2x v heavy cars a smaller 1 car beaver tail unit & a trailer would be a lot cheaper, or double trailer & can or 4x4, both a good 10mpg better, half price ferry, no maut Germany (sub 7.5t train weight) same Austria if its a 3.5t beaver & you would be in the ball park of no far off £1k saved.

Are outfits out there that would get em out there at £800 a car easy.

I think £1500/£1600 a car isn’t silly with a small set up, good profit in that, bag a return off a do it for nothing return load site at £500-£800 & you’ve had a cracking profitable wk.

Yes having a vehicle designed to transport cars available such as a sprinter 3.5 t beaver tail and possibly a car trailer, or the 4x4 and 2 car trailer option is going to be cheaper & quicker than an 18t hgv, But as i don’t have such vehicles at my disposal, the only other option is on the back of a lorry , the weight of the load may exceed the 7.5t payload it may not, though one of the cars is going to be around the 2t mark if the other is less it’s a 7.5t load