Advice on Irish company

Hi there

Need some advice. Been speaking to a company who operate in the UK but registered and based in southern Ireland.

How does it work with hmrc if you’re paid in euros and paying tax I believe over there but live in the UK?

Many thanks

You will need to get a PPS number which is the Irish equivalent to the UK’s national insurance number, not sure if you can do this without visiting Ireland although the company will be able advise you on that. With regards to your tax status in the UK if you’re claiming any benefits then your income from Ireland will need to be declared, if not then you just say nothing. I have been in this situation for the last 6 years and apart from getting a tax rebate from HMRC when I first started working in Ireland I have heard nothing more from them. Do not be tempted to sign on in the UK or any other benefit scam as DWP and HMRC cooperate with their Irish equivalents over this, the days of signing on in one country and working in another are now sadly gone :frowning: .
Get an Irish bank account and have your wages paid into it and then do the exchanging into pounds yourself, if you allow your boss to exchange it for you, you will find yourself on the most uncompetitive exchange rate there is.

Thanks for the info.

I will look at an Irish account. Not claiming any benefits only get usual child benefit which everyone entitled to. Do I need to notify hmrc? Don’t want a bill in.

My wife was unsure how this would affect looking at a remortgage rate in future do you have any ideas?

Cheers

I would notify HMRC as you will be more than likely due a tax rebate which is always good to get, not sure about the mortgage though would need a trip to a financial adviser to get a definite answer.

Thanks I will look at that.

I read online about paying national insurance over here in UK. Do you have to do that yourself?

Thanks again

I don’t pay into the national insurance in the UK but I had worked in the UK long enough to qualify for a full pension, pay into the Irish system for 10 years and you will qualify for a pension from there too, which is much higher than the UK pension, you can continue to make voluntary contributions if you wish to keep yourself up to date if you so wish

Thanks mate.