Advice on how to get max work days out of this Rota

Hi had a new Rota in work today but can’t get my head around how to get the rest day work to work in my favour without getting an infrigments. To hopefully get 5 days one week then 6 the next.

I have seen this example on gov website but can’t seem to workout how to apply it to this Rota.

It’s the same as our rota (except Saturday is our permanent rest day). If I take OT I take it on a 4 day working week, but rarely bother much. Never had an infringement, although some guys have run out of WTD hours trying to push 3 OT in a month.

You work a rolling 4 out of 7 rota, with a fixed sunday rest day.
Just take the single Saturday every three weeks as a rest, job done…

Or are you so greedy/ desperate that you must fit in the Saturdays for an enhanced rate?

Only problem is you seem hellishly fixated on the drivers hours regs but seem to be completely forgetting about the WTD. It’s not just how you can keep the tacho happy but how can you manage to keep within 60hrs a week maximum and 48hrs a week average.

Never got my head round the max hours brigade. Must have some serious levels of debt to want to work 70-80 odd hours a week.

Little confused as presumably the days on / off are those marked on that rota so you dont get to chose? Or can you work optional rest days?

On WTD, if your company worry about that, it will depend very much on type of job. Lots of RDC work means lots of POA / breaks, but multidrop will result in a lot more “other work” thus extra WTD hours.

If you want to keep track, maybe put it in a spreadsheet (eg: Open Office) and you can tweek it and see how it works.

Get ready for a headache as I got one just looking at those hours. :slight_smile:

the nodding donkey:
You work a rolling 4 out of 7 rota, with a fixed sunday rest day.
Just take the single Saturday every three weeks as a rest, job done…

Or are you so greedy/ desperate that you must fit in the Saturdays for an enhanced rate?

could say greedy. At the minute due to covid 19 they are paying double time for rest day work.

Conor:
Only problem is you seem hellishly fixated on the drivers hours regs but seem to be completely forgetting about the WTD. It’s not just how you can keep the tacho happy but how can you manage to keep within 60hrs a week maximum and 48hrs a week average.

Never got my head round the max hours brigade. Must have some serious levels of debt to want to work 70-80 odd hours a week.

Thank you for the reply wtd not an issue as average is well below 48 hours. max hours because im young and single with a 3 bed semi and lets say a years worth of wages saved aswell. As my colleagues say I probably need to stop working so hard and live a little.

Alliepallie4:

Conor:

Thank you for the reply wtd not an issue as average is well below 48 hours. max hours because im young and single with a 3 bed semi and lets say a years worth of wages saved aswell. As my colleagues say I probably need to stop working so hard and live a little.

Carry on like that and you probably won’t !!

robthedog:

Alliepallie4:

Conor:

Carry on like that and you probably won’t !!

+1. Sounds more like a company hero in the making! (…well if he can do it, so can you!..) :imp:

Perhaps unfair. The youngsters have a hell of a time trying to get on the housing ladder and need to work every hour available when the Bank of Mum & Dad isn’t available. If working 70 hours a week to get there means he isn’t someone’s rent bltch for his entire life then I say fair play to him. 70 hours a week is a doddle when you’re 20; not so much fun when you’ve been doing the job 20+ years and become tired and jaded of it all, patience and tolerance levels dropped considerably, etc.

You know what fair play to the OP. If that’s what he wants to do I’m not judging. What is the saying? Something about not criticising until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes?

R420:
Perhaps unfair. The youngsters have a hell of a time trying to get on the housing ladder and need to work every hour available when the Bank of Mum & Dad isn’t available. If working 70 hours a week to get there means he isn’t someone’s rent bltch for his entire life then I say fair play to him. 70 hours a week is a doddle when you’re 20; not so much fun when you’ve been doing the job 20+ years and become tired and jaded of it all, patience and tolerance levels dropped considerably, etc.

I agree.
When I was younger and needed the cash to get on the ladder of life I did double shifts and the odd weekend on the roadworks. Running bent with frisbees flying out of the window…haven’t all the oldies at one point in our careers done this to earn a few quid more?

Wouldn’t dream of doing it now but then I’m older and financially secure so fair play to the young lad wanting to earn some money to set himself right for his later years.

Crikey yes, worked all hours the good Lord sent when i was younger, best time to do it then and then sit back and find a decent paying doddle in your autumn years.

As an old ■■■■ who’s been around a while (and been caught before, and know others just the same), i’ll offer this snippet you didn’t ask for :wink: , i don’t know your preferences nor your attractions in the life partner game and its bugger all to do with me anyway, but in the coming economic depression your hard work and already good sense with money will prove a strong attraction to others who might want a share of it or all of it if they can, so be bloody careful out there mate…here endeth the lesson :sunglasses:

R420:

That’s one way of looking at this guy’s motives, and what you say is most probably right in his case.

However as you say through time there is a flip side.
You start the whole process of going at it like ■■■■, but before you know it chasing that dollar can become a habit, working those extra hours go from ‘making a bit extra’ to becoming the norm, the routine,… you get it into your head you HAVE to do it every week :bulb: , and the more you make the more you spend, the more you make the more you come to rely on those funds.

Your whole carreer goes from being an enjoyable job, to an endurance test, that endurance test then takes it’s toll on your health, you don’t eat properly, you don’t sleep properly in your routine of maximum hours/minimum rests, always chomping at the bit to get going again.
Consequential alments include ulcers due to ‘‘make do’’ meals eating crap food, backache, stress due to pressure and lack of sleep, heart problems, and the old truckers favourite…heart attacks :open_mouth: , strokes and death, …and if you’re really unlucky all before you hit 55. :smiley:

I (and I bet you) have came across these guys all through my driving carreer, :unamused: maybe 40 years old but looking about 60+, all gaunt, usually grubby through having no time to wash,.and nearly always coughing up their guts up due to their 60 a day habit they indulge in through driver boredom.

From about 82ish as a young owner/driver, with a similar attitude as the o/p, I ALMOST :bulb: did all of the above for a few years…, and in those days the hours were even MORE ridiculous than today, :open_mouth: … because the rules were broken almost as a matter of routine…
I’m talking some occasions of 24 hours here, I once or twice even worked around to 24 +1 :open_mouth: …■■■■ ridiculous does not cover it. :unamused:

I saw the light years ago, if I had carried on that way, and circumstances did not prevail, (and I had not came to my senses) I would have been history years ago.

Nowadays, more sense, more experience, I see the job for what it is. and how it has evolved to a crock of ■■■■, so I don’t get stressed out, I do it at my own pace, but at the same time give 100% without going full on ■■■■ idiot.

Another thing I have noticed about these ‘work all hours teararse heroes’… On many many occasions I have known quite a number of these guys who never enjoy their retirement (that is if they get there) because within two years they are dead.

#O/p …So that is the absolute worst case scenario of this job, and how it/you can become, from somebody who has both experienced it and seen it, so if you are going down this route. you decide how long you intend to keep it up.
Good luck, …and happy trucking. :laughing: :laughing:

As Rob says for a young gun it’s easy to do but can become an addiction, in my case 1980-1992 straight from leaving school I spent 12yrs doing massively silly hours in the coal mining industry doing maintenance work, Monday- Friday I’d work 12hrs+ then Saturday 6am-1pm, back on for 6pm-6am Saturday night, then 12-8pm Sunday afternoon, before restarting the cycle again at 6am Monday morning. When the mine shut down for two weeks in the summer I worked on major maintenance jobs, usually rope changes or lift/skip changes in the mineshafts, I was earning silly money hitting the 40% tax bracket before Xmas, but I was spending it all, cars, motorcycles, alcohol, gambling and pharmaceuticals. Holidays even to Benidorm etc where non existent as I’d only take days off here and there, 7 day 365 working was “the norm” the only break in the cycle was the year long 84-85 miners strike. Burn out was inevitable but the chance to take redundancy was my only option to get a life.

So be warned you can do the huge hours when you are young but set yourself a target date to slow down and have an exit plan

Don’t think 5 then 6 is workable with that pattern, assuming Sunday is the non-working day.

You could deliver chinese on Sundays, or get a paper round?

If you’re getting paid for working days off, couldn’t you just ask to be able to work a straight Mon to Fri / Sat shift?

Sounds like they need you to work and it would make things so much easier. Then you could do 5/6 per week without tripping up.

robroy:

R420:

That’s one way of looking at this guy’s motives, and what you say is most probably right in his case.

However as you say through time there is a flip side.
You start the whole process of going at it like [zb], but before you know it chasing that dollar can become a habit, working those extra hours go from ‘making a bit extra’ to becoming the norm, the routine,… you get it into your head you HAVE to do it every week :bulb:

Yep, I can certainly relate to that. But, I was young and in my 20s then and actually enjoyed doing 70 hours :open_mouth: a week sleeping in a tin box. The money earned enabled me to buy a house with only needing a small mortgage, although true to be told it was all going on my cars until I woke up to the fact that buying myself a house would be a better use of the money :smiley: .

As for tear-arsing about, after all these years I still can’t do 50 on a motorway without boring myself to tears and pulling my non-existent hair out. Would rather go flat out and get where I’m going, then have an hour on the bunk or spend it quacking with a mate or work colleague over a couple of coffees. I’m not one of these “you’re getting paid by the hour, so drag it out” types. I like to get the job done and get off home! I work to live, not the other way round. :bulb: 10 hours a day is enough for me now. 11 hours and I get a face on. 12 hours and all the toys are on the floor :smiley: . 13+ hours :open_mouth: I need at least a day off to recover.

robroy:
Your whole carreer goes from being an enjoyable job, to an endurance test, that endurance test then takes it’s toll on your health, you don’t eat properly, you don’t sleep properly in your routine of maximum hours/minimum rests, always chomping at the bit to get going again.
Consequential alments include ulcers due to ‘‘make do’’ meals eating crap food, backache, stress due to pressure and lack of sleep, heart problems, and the old truckers favourite…heart attacks :open_mouth: , strokes and death, …and if you’re really unlucky all before you hit 55. :smiley:

I (and I bet you) have came across these guys all through my driving carreer, :unamused: maybe 40 years old but looking about 60+

Spot on there. I kicked the crap out of it days, nights, sometimes days and nights in the same week. As a result my bodyclock is well knackered and getting to sleep, yeah that’s fun. Last august I had a second spinal operation on the third disc in my spine to fail, this time I’d kept working with a buggered disc to the point that part of it actually broke off and went for a walk down my spinal canal…“crack on drive, just pop another painkiller” being my motto since it first showed signs of packing up 20 years previously. And at age 48 I’ve more grey hair than people I work with 10 years older than me.