Advice on Fines when driving in Europe please

Hi

Can anyone tell me if a driver is stopped and found to speeding or any other type of offence,can he have his UK Licence marked with penalty points fo offences outside of UK.

:smiley:

Ive been fined in France for speeding - 90euros - i think they can put points on your licence, im not sure as i changed my licence to a spanish one i didnt get any as the spanish dont have a points system - YET, introducing them with the new licences!! Also have had a 74euro fine for driving in luxemburgo on a bank holiday and not having a euroviginette.

When I lived and worked in Germany no-one else I knew got any points on their UK licence. What did/does happen though is that the info is kept on record at Flensburg (German version of DVLA) and if you accumulate enough (German) points you will be banned in that country.

Brit Pete is your man for up-to-the-minute info, on Germany at least.

Other countries have different points systems that couldn’t be accurately reflected on a UK licence, so ‘no points’.

AT present no they can not get points put on your GB licence in the DVLA ,but as marcustandy has stated in Germany if the offence warrents it they start an account just for YOU in Flensburg and when you have a set amount they will BAN you from DRIVEING completely car& lorry in Germany normaly 2-3years,
You need to take a lok at those posts which deal with each country as each has its own view about punishment, In Holland you can be fined for 2km over the limit normaly 32€ , In Germany drive too close and you will find a fine and a months driveing ban will be handed out.or overtakeing where it is forbidden
is 1pointand 145€, Italy speeding can cost any thing between 50€–1000€+
the list is endless ,NORWAY take 100€ for ever kilometer over the limit,

keep in mind if the country who dealt with you sends a report through to
the english enforcment office, because the offence warrented it ,then you may have problems,but as yet I have never heard of this happening,
ANOTHER point in ITALY they do confascate drivers licences quite regulary
for committing certain traffic offences,

brit pete:
NORWAY take 100€ for ever kilometer over the limit,

ZB!!! I thought Belgium was bad at €10 per kmh over!!!

I have both ,a French licnce and a British licence (got a duplicate before we moved here) When I am pulled by the "flick"I always show my UK licence as they cannot put points on it.The system is different in France with driving licences,you start with 12 points and when you have none you loose your licence,opposite to UK.

Never had points put on my UK licence for any offence I committed in various European countries, there is no current legislation that allows this to happen. I do currently have 2 points on my record in Germany and could be banned from driving there if I reach whatever their limit is.

There is a scheme in place where countries can notify VOSA of offences committed, which could cause them to take an unhealthy interest in your activities. I can’t remember the countries involved in the scheme but I am pretty sure Holland is one of them.