Advice on failed C+E test (roundabouts)

Unfortunately I failed my Class 1 test - clipped kerb on first roundabout out of the test centre ! :unamused:
Also failed to take up both lanes on small roundabout, which resulted in a serious. :unamused:
I’m having to admit I lack confidence on roundabouts for some reason.

Anyway, looking for any advice, my instructor keeps saying just use the mirrors, but I find even using the mirrors all the way round, I’m not gauging my position correctly for some reason.
Because I’m worried about crossing lanes, I’m not taking it wide enough, I think?

Maybe I’ve just answered my own question… :laughing:

Thanks in advance for any advice

AndymanUK:
I’m having to admit I lack confidence on roundabouts for some reason.

Sorry to hear you failed.
Are you sure it’s confidence that you lack or is it knowledge and/or practice?

Confidence is very difficult to teach, but knowledge is easier.
What’s your background? Are you direct to C+e? How many hours of tuition, did you benefit from 2:1 ratio?

I would say the turning circle for each truck is fixed (mostly by its length, and other considerations) so you just need to learn it and be able to apply it to different situations which is tuition and practice.

Hi Stu
I’m a dreaded Car to C+E! 30 hours tuition.
I’m confident with the rest of it, so I’m considering booking a few hours training of just roundabouts. Yeah, more practice will certainly make it better.

What is the 2:1 ratio ?

The problem is mainly right turns on roundabouts, with multiple lanes, I find it hard judging where I am in the lane, and when to move.
I’m not exactly sure what I’m best focusing in the mirrors on the way round, should it be the back wheels of the trailer?
I find looking at the headboard whilst on the turn doesn’t give me much information on the angle.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. I may be overthinking it.

I feel your pain AndymanUK. Similar problem here except in a Class 2. It’s practice I think. But before that it’s understanding how we are going wrong. It’s also about how we learn, what our preferences are. I wish I could view aerial footage of me driving around a roundabout vs my instructor so that I could see the difference. I think that would really help! I’m fairly confident I’ll get there and I hope you will too. Stu675’s reference to the 2:1 ration is whether you trained alone (1:1) or with another trainee (2:1).

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one.
Yes, I totally agree, seeing the positioning from above would be perfect!
That is exactly the problem I have. Maybe my brain is wired differently, I know it shouldn’t be a problem, because I have no problem in a car.
I’m think I’m going to spend a few hours driving round the test routes in a car, that may take some of the issues away.#
I know logically it will come with time, I just wish it would hurry up!! :astonished: :smiley:

AndymanUK:
Hi Stu
I’m a dreaded Car to C+E! 30 hours tuition.
I’m confident with the rest of it, so I’m considering booking a few hours training of just roundabouts. Yeah, more practice will certainly make it better.

What is the 2:1 ratio ?

The problem is mainly right turns on roundabouts, with multiple lanes, I find it hard judging where I am in the lane, and when to move.
I’m not exactly sure what I’m best focusing in the mirrors on the way round, should it be the back wheels of the trailer?
I find looking at the headboard whilst on the turn doesn’t give me much information on the angle.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. I may be overthinking it.

Me too, on straight from motorbike to C+E [emoji12] I drive a car too, but motorbikes are more fun!

I don’t think looking at your headboard gives you any useful info (unless it specifically is going to hit something) I think all instructors have a bit of a failing of telling you what you’re actually looking for in your mirrors!! [emoji15]

30 hours sounds like 1:1 training whereas I signed up for 64 hrs of 2:1. Although I actually received a lot less (test on last day was early morning, truck taken out of service for retests etc) I think I benefited from seeing my co-trainee somewhat.

Yup, I can only suggest more practice and wish you luck on your retest.

stu675:
I don’t think looking at your headboard gives you any useful info (unless it specifically is going to hit something) I think all instructors have a bit of a failing of telling you what you’re actually looking for in your mirrors!! [emoji15]

Haha…yep I agree 100%.
My instructor keeps saying keep looking in your mirrors, but I want to shout at him 'LOOK AT WHAT■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thanks for your advice

Looking at your headboard will not tell you anything, it’s your trailer wheels you need to be looking at. If they are getting close to the lane line then you need to take some steering off, but only if you can do so without the unit going into a different lane.
How are you with right hand bends? If you can keep your position on them then just do the same on a roundabout as essentially it’s the same thing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
Looking at your headboard will not tell you anything, it’s your trailer wheels you need to be looking at. If they are getting close to the lane line then you need to take some steering off, but only if you can do so without the unit going into a different lane.
How are you with right hand bends? If you can keep your position on them then just do the same on a roundabout as essentially it’s the same thing

Thanks for your help Terry
Right hand bends are ok, as you can use the straight line of the kerb to run up against to keep the turn steady.
I guess for me it’s mainly 2 or 3 lane roundabouts turning right (say 4th exit)
It’s the two separate turns needed to hug the inside lane closest to the roundabout. Pulling out into the furthest lane whilst turning left, getting the position and then switching to the right turn and keeping steady in that lane until the 4th exit.
I imagine for most people it’s not the easiest manouvre to do safely if there is a lot of traffic in the other lanes.
I see now I need to concentrate more on the right mirror, the back trailer wheels and the curve of the roundabout, and I’m also realising there’s not much advice other than plenty of practice ! :unamused: :confused: :blush:

Terry Cooksey:

light bulb moment, :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: I’ve just realised you are right Terry.
It’s no different to a tight snake bend in the road (left then right).
I don’t have any problems with them. OK, I feel better about that (and a bit silly now)
Cheers
:laughing: :laughing:

AndymanUK:

Terry Cooksey:

light bulb moment, :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: I’ve just realised you are right Terry.
I don’t have any problems with them. OK, I feel better about that (and a bit silly now)
Cheers
[emoji38] [emoji38]

Happy to help, hope it works for you when you get to put it into practice.
Also, don’t feel silly for having a weakness, all learners and even most experienced drivers have them. For some it’s roundabouts, for others it’s turning left at junctions, for most it’s reversing. One day something just clicks and it stops being a problem.
Hope you can get a retest soon, best of luck with it when you do take it again

Terry Cooksey:

AndymanUK:

Terry Cooksey:

Cheers
[emoji38] [emoji38]

Happy to help, hope it works for you when you get to put it into practice.
Also, don’t feel silly for having a weakness, all learners and even most experienced drivers have them. For some it’s roundabouts, for others it’s turning left at junctions, for most it’s reversing. One day something just clicks and it stops being a problem.
Hope you can get a retest soon, best of luck with it when you do take it again

Thank you Terry, thats very kind. :slight_smile:

Roundabout steering can be tricky until it’s explained. A roundabout is no more than a series of bends. Although most folk worry about turning right at a roundabout, there’s actually two left steers generally involved.

On the approach to 99.9% of roundabouts, you are faced with a left bend. Deal with that one first. It might be that you’re in the right hand lane. So keep hard over to the right hand kerb to minimise any trailer cut into the left lane. (Keep checking of course). Now you’re coming up to a right bend. Hard to the dividing line on your left and check the trailer in the right mirror. If the lanes are narrow, you may well have to borrow a bit of the next lane. If that’s the case, take it straight away - ensuring it’s safe to do so. The final bend is a left. This is normally very easy as the trailer is already well away from the left kerb. So, with care and practice, it’s possible and correct to steer left a little earlier than normal.

And that is all there is to the steering on a roundabout.

Have fun all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Roundabout steering can be tricky until it’s explained. A roundabout is no more than a series of bends. Although most folk worry about turning right at a roundabout, there’s actually two left steers generally involved.

On the approach to 99.9% of roundabouts, you are faced with a left bend. Deal with that one first. It might be that you’re in the right hand lane. So keep hard over to the right hand kerb to minimise any trailer cut into the left lane. (Keep checking of course). Now you’re coming up to a right bend. Hard to the dividing line on your left and check the trailer in the right mirror. If the lanes are narrow, you may well have to borrow a bit of the next lane. If that’s the case, take it straight away - ensuring it’s safe to do so. The final bend is a left. This is normally very easy as the trailer is already well away from the left kerb. So, with care and practice, it’s possible and correct to steer left a little earlier than normal.

And that is all there is to the steering on a roundabout.

Have fun all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

That is pretty much how to do it, step by step.
Thank you Pete. I really appreciate that.
I keep forgetting that the final turn should always be pretty easy, as in theory there should be no-one at the side of you, and you have much more room to maneuvre.

I’ve got a retest booked for next Wednesday, so I’m going to be practicing as many as I can. In fact I actually went out in the car today and did the test routes for an hour or so, and I found that really helpful.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi mate, I’m not a qualified class 1 driver but I saw an experienced head on here once say to someone with similar concerns to you; go out in your car and follow some artics. Look at the approach they take and the line around the roundabouts. I guess there’s an element of caution to that as they may not be doing it 100% by the book but still could be helpful. Best of luck with it all bud. Sounds like you’re a thinker, be careful not to overthink it though!

I spent a day on my motorbike following artics out of the Tesco RDC to see how they did it. It helped me a lot!

ps - It soon became easy to spot the difference between those driving properly and those who weren’t, but you learn from both.

Have a look on YouTube, look up truck driver Hayley. Brilliant channel for beginners. She has couple videos on cornering and roundabouts. Class 2 and class 1

AndymanUK:
[

I’ve got a retest booked for next Wednesday, :slight_smile:

Good luck if it’s today?
If it was last week…

AndymanUK:

stu675:

Haha…yep I agree 100%.
My instructor keeps saying keep looking in your mirrors, but I want to shout at him 'LOOK AT WHAT■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thanks for your advice

Well that’s just it. Ask him/her what you should be looking for. I need talk, I just got my c+e after 5 million attempts!!

You see, you learn about length of the vehicle when doing Class 3 or Class 2 so you have got to learn about length of vehicle on Class 1. Ask him what you are looking for and why you are looking for it.

Practice, practice, practice… you are looking in your mirrors to make sure your wheels are far enough away from the kerb or bridge wall or whatever can be hit by your back end…
you are also making sure there are no cyclists motorbikes pedestrians or horses or anything which are going to be hit by your back end or your rear wheels.

If you had the time and the money, I would go and drive a 7.5t with an instructor then go for a Class C just to experience an ever larger vehicle or even a bus.

Unlike a car, which you just point and go, comparatively, a longer vehicle can catch things, and hit things with your back end that’s why you need more space to clear, and you check this using your mirrors.

Very true. But any half decent trainer should be able to teach these elementary skills.

Really no need to go out on smaller vehicles first. Taught correctly, perfectly straightforward to go from car to artic.

But, if not trained correctly, serious nightmares await!

Good luck all, Pete[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk