Advice on buying a secondhand van

On another forum I visit, this question has just been posted…

I am looking to buy a tidyish second hand van for a fledgling business venture.

Must be drivable on a car licence, the larger the better in terms of load area, the lower the loading floor the better in terms of practicality.

Budget 10K tops.

Thoughts?

I’m thinking Mercedes Sprinter? But I’m sure any input would be gratefully received.

Transit jumbo , VW crafter (sprinter in drag )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:
On another forum I visit, this question has just been posted…

I am looking to buy a tidyish second hand van for a fledgling business venture.

Must be drivable on a car licence, the larger the better in terms of load area, the lower the loading floor the better in terms of practicality.

Budget 10K tops.

Thoughts?

I’m thinking Mercedes Sprinter? But I’m sure any input would be gratefully received.

I’d go for the sprinter personally although the Ford and Renault vans I used to drive did the job just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it happens a mate of mine is selling a 62 plate lwb Sprinter, average van mileage, mint condition, drives like it’s new, MOT’d last Monday £6k (no VAT). Pm me if interested Harry.

Could get a 2nd hand Luton low loader but that would be top end budget wise.
Easily get a Luton +tail lift for that money.

Space wise + the budget Vauxhall monvano maxi luton.

Don’t forget most vans come with the dreaded VAT to add on to the price so 10k would be 12k total

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We run Renault Masters, find them pretty good overall. Sold one last year with 365,000 miles on the engine and still running well. Won’t get that out of all of them. Sprinters are good, but you’ll have to settle for an older/higher mileage van for ten k.

Merc every time ,no buts ,everything is crap .

the maoster:
As it happens a mate of mine is selling a 62 plate lwb Sprinter, average van mileage, mint condition, drives like it’s new, MOT’d last Monday £6k (no VAT). Pm me if interested Harry.

I’ve posted a link to this thread on the forum where the question was asked, if he wants me to then I will PM you, I don’t know whether his plans are at the buying stage or not, original post is here thunderboat.boards.net/thread/17 … llTo=56668

Doesn’t matter what it is, if it drives the front wheels then forget it. Once you get above car derived vans for size then RWD is the way to go unless you are going to carry polystyrene.

Punchy Dan:

See it’s all down to experience, I took a break from Masters round 07/08 and had trouble and went back to Masters.

Punchy Dan:

From what I heard, they are garage queens. That being said, they are great to drive.

I’d have a transit over a sprinter anyday.

image.jpegWell I would suppose I do have the best sprinter ever made the German Gardner 5 cylinder ,it’s done 850,000 miles and although it’s getting like triggs brush it’s ready to go anywhere at a minites notice ,

Renault masters are sound,Far cheaper than vags .And much cheaper but electrics can be a right pita.vw or mercs are a nightmare if they go wrong .
Fords are over priced crap these days .

What ever you buy,dont get a red one.

I put 200,000 on a 62 plate Peugeot boxer LWB and thought it was great and needed nothing but consumables.

I’m yet to see a crafter without a blown sidelight bulb, no idea why but they always seem to go regardless of age :laughing:

adam277:
I’d have a turkish over a sprinter anyday.

That looks right now.

ebay.co.uk/itm/X-WIDE-X-LONG … Sw2gxYy4iL

One of the biggest van you can drive on a car licence.

P.s
Peugeot
Renault
Fiat
Citroen

Are just badges on the same vans .could be more … :grimacing: