Advice on a new coolbox

After many years and more miles that I care to think of, my trusty coolbox has finally given up on me on the A19. Going to have to replace it, and have seen 2 types, one with the cooler on the main body of the box (the type I have now) and those with it in the lid. I know about the former, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the latter, either good or bad?

I got one of those with the cooler in the lid from Aldi for less than £50, I only stopped using it cos someone was selling a Waeco ridiculously cheaply.

It was no frills, did what it purported to do and was perfectly acceptable. As you can imagine it struggled slightly on those rare days when the ambient temperature is north of 30 degrees, but otherwise fine.

the maoster:
It was no frills, did what it purported to do and was perfectly acceptable. As you can imagine it struggled slightly on those rare days when the ambient temperature is north of 30 degrees, but otherwise fine.

Is that the aldi or the waeco one?

WhiteTruckMan:

the maoster:

Waco compressor fridge is the one you want

Sent while from gods know where

Waeco fridges are good. Bit at 5 or 6 times the price, they aren’t for everyone.
Sight lighter too for cab hopping.

WhiteTruckMan:

the maoster:

Aldi one mate. The Waeco is unbeatable (you get what you pay for) and as someone who delivers frozen products it handily goes down to minus 18, wink wink :smiley:

I`ve an Aldi one, and a slightly larger one from a caravan shop (towsure) that I picked up in their 2nds bin during my time pulling parcel trailers for their online orders

halfords.com/motoring/trave … 91077.html

got this one does job nicely either cig socket powered or off ur inverter

thunder367:
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/coolboxes/halfords-40-litre-mains-and-12v-and-24v-electric-coolbox-291077.html

got this one does job nicely either cig socket powered or off ur inverter

I have the older version of this,just 12v and 240v. As stated,it works well. Only slight issue was condensate dripping down onto your food but I just laid a tea-towel on top of the food and it absorbed the water.
It even survived a fall from the passenger seat of an Actros onto a paved yard with just a crack in the outer shell. Have had it for 5 years and still going strong.

WhiteTruckMan:
After many years and more miles that I care to think of, my trusty coolbox has finally given up on me on the A19. Going to have to replace it, and have seen 2 types, one with the cooler on the main body of the box (the type I have now) and those with it in the lid. I know about the former, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the latter, either good or bad?

This is not cheap but the best wgat i see.Keep about 0°.Quit,no problem with baterry.Can plug in at home.leisureshopdirect.com/outdo … ool-tcx-21

It’s 2021, do companies still buy/lease trucks without a fridge fitted as standard?
My R reg Magnum had one fitted, my S reg Daf had fridge TV and Microwave fitted, can’t believe all these years later they are still specing them without.
Mind you George Brown was ahead of the game.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
It’s 2021, do companies still buy/lease trucks without a fridge fitted as standard?
My R reg Magnum had one fitted, my S reg Daf had fridge TV and Microwave fitted, can’t believe all these years later they are still specing them without.

Own cool better if drive different truck every week.Nobody clean truck cool box good.To dangerous place food in truck fridge.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Tramp trucks today may be well specced but day trucks not.
Once upon a time day men might eat at transport cafes etc, now they take their own food.
And as Andrejs says once upon a time drivers tended to keep their own truck, not cab hop.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Contentious issue this. I’m of the belief that if you want me to night out at least give me a fridge. Currently I’ve got an S500, it has all the bells and whistles including a coffee machine which I’ve never used other than to create hot water :laughing:

It goes back at the end of next month and being replaced by a new Mercedes Gigaspace. No idea of the spec but I suspect it will be specced as cheaply as possible (the Kinaxia way…). If a firm can’t be arsed to spend £500 over a 2/3 year deal for drivers comfort then they’re not worth the steam off my urine.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Yes they do, where would you put a fridge on a Tosco truck for example :laughing:
My FH3 has a fridge and it’s also got heated aircon leather seats, no microwave as that’s still in the boot of the car :laughing: :laughing:
I just need an inverter :laughing:

keep an eye open for anyone selling a proper compressor fridge such as dometic/waeco. I bought mine from an owner driver who was retiring, less than a year old as new and a fraction of new price (still have his original receipt for 400 quid) Not cheapest but far better in the long run, they work so much better and draw minimal power too compared to a thermo electric coolbox.

I’ve been looking round, and not overly impressed by what’s on offer. Tried the big places like asda Tesco aldi lidl home bargains etc. Nothing. Looked as some camping places, but they were at times eye wateringly expensive, with one selling a top of the range for 4 figures!

I really would like a compressor one, but they are out of my price range. Looking for a used use is a great idea, but I need something now, especially as the weather looks to be coming good.

I’ll still keep looking,but as a stand in and possibly temporary measure I’ve decided to go for the halfords 24l model. A reasonable size, and if something better comes along it can go into storage as a backup.

WhiteTruckMan:
I’ve been looking round, and not overly impressed by what’s on offer. Tried the big places like asda Tesco aldi lidl home bargains etc. Nothing. Looked as some camping places, but they were at times eye wateringly expensive, with one selling a top of the range for 4 figures!

I really would like a compressor one, but they are out of my price range. Looking for a used use is a great idea, but I need something now, especially as the weather looks to be coming good.

I’ll still keep looking,but as a stand in and possibly temporary measure I’ve decided to go for the halfords 24l model. A reasonable size, and if something better comes along it can go into storage as a backup.

Just don’t plug it in to the 24v socket or

New pastures

blue estate:

WhiteTruckMan:

Just don’t plug it in to the 24v socket or

New pastures

Been there, done that, smelt the tee shirt. (The same one I beat the flames out with!)