Advice on 7.5 ton vehicals

Good afternoon everyone, my name is sean and a new member.

I would be greatful for some information from you guys in the know if possible. Im currently a delivery driver all be it driving merc sprinters all over the country.
my boss however has asked me to look at a fuel costs and distances to diferent parts of the uk as he is in the thinking process of expanding the company. But has me to research the info before buy said size vehical

So my questions.

1. Tacho, how do these work, and what are the legal hours to drive in a given 24 hour period.
  2. what is an operators license and what is entailed in this to conform to have such a license.
  3. whats the average pence per mile that i would expect from a 7.5 ton vehical. i know this depends on load weather conditions ie, head wind and the likes, just so i can do some rough calculations.
  4. We have to drivers with what we call these days grandfather license, with C1 on our license, would i be correct that we can drive these legaly on this providing we dont exceed 7.5t gross weight limit.

I assume i will have many more questions as time goes by, but any help on these, would be greatful, so i can present what i have found out in the morning to my boss,

regards
Sean

Welcome to TruckNET UK Sean.

sean46mc:

1. Tacho, how do these work, and what are the legal hours to drive in a given 24 hour period.

In brief you can drive up to 9 hours in a shift which can be extended to 10 hours twice in a week. The rules are quite complicated though, you can find a full guide here.

sean46mc:
2. what is an operators license and what is entailed in this to conform to have such a license.

Have a look here for guides on operator licencing.

sean46mc:
4. We have to drivers with what we call these days grandfather license, with C1 on our license, would i be correct that we can drive these legaly on this providing we dont exceed 7.5t gross weight limit.

Yes, you need C1 on your licence to drive a 7.5tonner. Anyone who passed their car test before Jan1997 will have that already, anyone who did their test after then needs to do an additional test.

HTH,
Paul

WELCOME

Dont forget that driving LGVs commercially will require all those drivers to complete the 35 hours periodic driver cpc before 09/09/2019

Many using only 7.5s (LGV C1s) are still unaware of this legal requirement!!

ROG:
WELCOME

Dont forget that driving LGVs commercially will require all those drivers to complete the 35 hours periodic driver cpc before 09/09/2019

I think that’s a typo isn’t it ROG, surely you mean the 35 hours of periodic training must be completed by 10th September 2014 not the 9th September 2019 :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:
WELCOME

I think that’s a typo isn’t it ROG, surely you mean the 35 hours of periodic training must be completed by 10th September 2014 not the 9th September 2019 :wink:

YUP - sorry folks - it should be 2014
Ths darn premod does not give me an edit facility

repton:
Welcome to TruckNET UK Sean.

sean46mc:

In brief you can drive up to 9 hours in a shift which can be extended to 10 hours twice in a week. The rules are quite complicated though, you can find a full guide here.

As another brief addition to what Repton has said above, you also have to comply with the WTD rules, (you may already be doing this in anycase?) If not, then thats another can of worms. You’l be working to the tacho EU rules AND the WTD rules all at the same time.
Its all good fun I tell ya :laughing:

Guys, Thanks for the great welcome and for some very good advice which i passed on to my boss this morning.
Due to the nature and regulations that you have all highlighted and the rules and implications, we have decided not to go down the route of a 7.5t vehical, its mainly down to cost, against what we are carrying and the prices we charge to be competitive, and be the most competitive in what we supply.

I also have another question, which some one maybe able to help with, we are going to stay at the 3.5t gross weight limit
and look to purchase a new van at this class.

What i would like to know is what van, i mean flat bed with no tailgate is the longest on the market right now, i mean load space length that is in the 3.5t gross weight catorgory, just if anyone knows so i can research it, feather in my cap if you know what i mean.

again thanks for all the great help, and i hope to chat to you on more light hearted matters soon

regards
sean

sean46mc:
Guys, Thanks for the great welcome and for some very good advice which i passed on to my boss this morning.
Due to the nature and regulations that you have all highlighted and the rules and implications, we have decided not to go down the route of a 7.5t vehical, its mainly down to cost, against what we are carrying and the prices we charge to be competitive, and be the most competitive in what we supply.

I also have another question, which some one maybe able to help with, we are going to stay at the 3.5t gross weight limit
and look to purchase a new van at this class.

What i would like to know is what van, i mean flat bed with no tailgate is the longest on the market right now, i mean load space length that is in the 3.5t gross weight catorgory, just if anyone knows so i can research it, feather in my cap if you know what i mean.

again thanks for all the great help, and i hope to chat to you on more light hearted matters soon

regards
sean

Sean, scroll down this page abit and check out the Mitsi drop side.
Im not sure what these are like but the bed sure is long for a 3.5.
secondhand-lorries-and-vans. … CANTER.htm
Ive not seen anything the same size for 3.5T but im willing to be proved wrong!